Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
  • Match Reports 2011

    Falkirk 1 - 1 Dundee

    New loan signing Carl Finnigan dealt the Bairns the traditional curse of the returning striker by scoring in the 87th minute to give Dundee a point they fully deserved in tonight's entertaining draw at the Falkirk Stadium. Dundee were the better side for large parts of the game, but their inability to take their chances meant that they looked like losing to Farid El Alagui's first half goal.

    Dundee's only change from Saturday was Ross Chisholm coming into the team and Craig McKeown dropping onto the bench, and move that entailed Gary Irvine and Rhys Weston returning to their usual positions at right back and centre back respectively.\

    Falkirk could have taken the lead in the fourth minute when Duffie's deep cross found El Alagui at the far post, but Douglas pushed his header away.

    Related Posts:

    From then on the first half belonged largely to Dundee, who kept threatening to open up a nervous and sometimes disorganised home defence.

    Yet again Dundee were knocking the ball around well in midfield, but a Dee goal looked most likely to come from a mistake by the defence.

    Jake Hyde nearly opened the scoring when he pounced on a weak back pass by Wallace, who was fortunate that his clumsy attempted recovery didn't bring the Dundee striker down. Hyde kept his feet and tried to trick his way round McGovern, but the keeper foiled him with a desperate grab at the ball just before he could score.

    Moments later the Bairns defence was again at sea when Hyde robbed Wallace, but the chance was lost with a poor pass when he tried to set up Milne.

    Dundee were made to pay for their failure to build on their dominance. Gibson ran clear on the right, looking suspiciously offside, and lifted the ball over the onrushing Douglas. McGregor managed to clear the ball of the line, hooking it onto the bar, but the ball fell kindly for EL ALAGUI, who tapped it into the empty goal.

    The Dee reacted well to the setback and kept up the pressure on Falkirk. The home defence got into a mess that gave O'Donnell space to shoot just wide from 18 yards. The Bairns had another escape when Duffie sent a poor headed clearance to Milne, who shot well over.

    Dundee continued pushing forward into the second half, and McGovern made a fine save from O'Donnell after Conroy had teed up Hyde's cross.

    Carl Finnigan came on for the last half hour, replacing Ross Chisholm. Milne switched to left midfield, and Conroy moved infield.

    The newcomer nearly had an immediate impact when Hyde and Conroy combined well to give him a sight of goal, but his shot was blocked. A minute later Finnigan had a good turn and shot but McGovern saved well.

    As the game wore on Falkirk picked up confidence and started to take the ball to Dundee, who were beginning to look short of ideas. However, the Dee weathered the tricky spell and pushed back for the equaliser their play merited, and which always looked possible against a home defence that constantly gave the ball away.

    At last, after 87 minutes it arrived. Falkirk conceded possession too easily on the halfway line. Gary Irvine took the ball, made space cleverly and fed a good pass through the inside right channel for FINNIGAN to run on and score with a neat shot across McGovern from 12 yards.

    Dundee might have snatched a winner right at the end when Finnigan brilliantly eluded two defenders on the byline and crossed. Irvine stabbed at the ball and McGovern did very well to push the ball wide for a corner.

    A draw was the least Dundee deserved, and with a bit more invention, directness or better finishing it would certainly have been three points. Even one point is a frustrating result when Dundee had most of the chances, certainly the best ones, and up against a defence that never looked happy at any stage.

    For the second game running Dundee needed a very late equaliser to give them a point. However, this was a much better performance than we saw at Dumfries on Saturday. This run of four draws is proving very costly to Dundee's title challenge, but tonight they were coming nearer to their true form. They will need to reach that form on Saturday in the key game at home to Ross County. Nothing less will do.

    Falkirk 4-4-2

    Duffie, Dods, Wallace, Scobbie
    Fulton, Murdoch, Millar, Sibbald (Kingsley 74)
    El Alagui, Gibson (Alston 70)

    Unused subs; Bowman (gk), Bennett, White

    Goal; El Alagui (27)

    Booking; El Alagui (foul on McGregor)

    Dundee FC 4-4-2

    Irvine, Weston, McGregor, Lockwood
    McCluskey, O'Donnell, Chisholm (Finnigan 58), Conroy
    Hyde (Bayne 83), Milne

    Unused subs; Gibson (gk), McKeown, Benedictus

    Goal; Finnigan (87)

    Booking; McGregor (foul on El Alagui)

    Attendance; 3,089

    Referee; Charlie Richmond

    Report; James Christie

    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
  • Categories

  • Similar Content

    • By TheDarkBlues
      Falkirk Football Club is a Scottish professional association football club based in the town of Falkirk. The club was founded in 1876[3] and competes in the Scottish Championship as a member of the Scottish Professional Football League. The club was elected to the Second Division of the Scottish Football League in 1902–03, was promoted to the First Division after two seasons and achieved its highest league position in the early 1900s when it was runner-up to Celtic in 1907–08 and 1909–10. The football club was registered as a Limited Liability Company in April 1905 – Falkirk Football & Athletic Club Ltd.
      Falkirk won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1913. After 1945, Falkirk were promoted and demoted between the Premier and First Divisions seven times until 1995–96, and during the 1970s spent three seasons in the Second Division. In 2005, Falkirk were promoted to the Scottish Premier League (SPL). Falkirk won the Scottish Cup again in 1957 and were runners-up in the competition in 1997, 2009 and 2015. As a result of its performance in the 2009 Scottish Cup, the club qualified for the inaugural season of the UEFA Europa League in 2009–10. Falkirk have won the second tier of Scottish football a record seven times, an honour shared with St Johnstone. They have also won the Scottish Challenge Cup more than any other club, winning it for the fourth time in 2012.
      In their early years, Falkirk played at three venues: Hope Street, Randyford Park and Blinkbonny Park. Between 1885 and 2003, the club was based at Brockville Park, built on the former Hope Street ground. After the creation of the SPL in 1998, its strict stadium criteria – to which Brockville Park did not conform – was enforced, and the club was denied promotion on three occasions. The club's present home ground since 2003 is the Falkirk Stadium, an 7,937 all-seater stadium on the outskirts of Falkirk.
    • By UWTB1893
      Haber becomes Paul Hartley's 14th signing this summer with the Bairns boss delighted with his recent arrival.

      "I'm absolutely delighted to recruit a player of Marcus' calibre," said Hartley.

      "I am surprised that a player of his quality has become available, but equally pleased to have signed him.

      "He will add great experience and presence to our front line and I'm sure will contribute goals too. Ww identified the need to strengthen our frontline and I feel the signing of Marcus does just that." 

      Marcus Haber played 41 times for Dundee, scoring 10 goals.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      If you have a match report for this game and would like to help us out, please contact us.
      Attendance: 3,576
      Referee: McLean
      Report: BBC Sport
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Dundee made only one change from Friday night's game in Aberdeen. Kosta Gazdhalov came in for Darren O'Dea who was not registered in time for the original date. Falkirk made three changes, David McCracken for Peter Grant, Blair Alston for Connor McGrandles and Tom Taiwo for Lee Miller.
      Dundee started promisingly with Nick Ross sending Nicky Low to the byline in the first minute, but there were no takers for a dangerous cross. The Bairns, however, settled quickly and took the game to the Dee. Falkirk tried to play their way through the Dundee midfield and defence with neat passing, and were sometimes allowed rather too much room to do so.
      With less of the ball Dundee looked more dangerous. Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart managed to find a surprising amount of space, and Hemmings was often on the shoulders of the last defender, trying to burst clear.
      Twice in quick succession Dundee passed their way through the Bairns' defence. Delightful play between Gary Harkins and Greg Stewart almost played Hemmings in, but Danny Rogers managed to dive on the ball. Ross then blazed his shot over the bar from a tight angle after Harkins' had cleverly created the opportunity. For all Falkirk's good football they weren't convincing when they reached the penalty area. Blair Alston did force a good save from Scott Bain with a shot from 18 yards.
      The home fans had been getting frustrated with a series of narrow offside decisions that went against Dundee. When they did beat the offside trap after 38 minutes they took the lead. HEMMINGS took a long pass from Paul McGowan and from 18 yards crashed his shot into the net off the underside of the crossbar.
      The Bairns hit back almost immediately with a goal that owed nothing to the neat football they'd been playing. Dundee's attempted breakout from a corner broke down and Mark Kerr sent the ball straight back into the home penalty area. The unmarked John Baird was onside and he played the ball across for Paul WATSON to force in the equaliser.
      The Dark Blues recovered well from that disappointment and went on to take charge of the match in the second half. It took a while for the Dee to click as a series of promising moves didn't quite come off. There was almost a scare when Craig Sibbald's run took him deep into the penalty area, but he waited far too long before shooting and lost the chance. It was just about the only time in the second half that the Bairns looked truly dangerous. Their failure to take advantage cost them dearly as the Dee went back in front shortly afterwards with a marvellous goal.
      Paul McGowan found Paul McGinn on the right. The full back took a great first touch to knock the ball into space and fired over a fine cross that eluded Harkins only for HEMMINGS to smash home an unstoppable far post volley from six yards  - his ninth goal in the last six games.
      With Dundee in the lead the Bairns pushed forward and looked increasingly vulnerable against Dundee's skillful attackers. Paul Hartley added to Falkirk's problems by sending on Rory Loy to replace Nicky Low with 20 minutes to go. It looked a bold move and it quickly paid off with an excellent third goal.
      Hemmings broke down the right with Loy in support. The Falkirk defence were all watching the ex Bairn and failed to spot Harkins' run through the middle. Hemmings timed his pass perfectly, and HARKINS took a touch before drilling a low shot into the corner of the goal from 18 yards.
      Julen Etxabeguren was a welcome sight for the home support, returning from his eye injury a few minutes from full time when Kosta Gadzhalov was suffering from cramp.
      Greg Stewart nearly put the Dee out of sight when he dribbled into the penalty area and shot against the outside of the post. Falkirk worked hard to try and get back into the match, but failed to create any chances except for a stinging 20 yarder in injury time from Will Vaulks that Bain did well to turn away.
      Dundee now move on to Dumbarton for the 5th round against another Championship side. Tonight the Dark Blues showed that when their attackers are on form they can make life very difficult for teams from outside the Premiership. Falkirk are one of the best sides in the Championship, and they showed tonight why they are widely admired for the quality and style of their football. However, they had no answer to Dundee's attacking flair, and that was the crucial difference that gave the Dee a deserved win.
      Dundee FC 4-4-1-1
      McGinn, Gadazhalov (Etxabeguren 70), Konrad, Holt
      Stewart, McGowan, Ross, Low (Loy 70)
      Unused subs: Mitchell (gk), Irvine, Curran, Kerr, Wighton
      Goal: Hemmings (38, 59), Harkins (73)
      Booked: none
      Falkirk FC 4-4-1-1
      Vaulks, Watson, McCracken, Leahy
      Alston, Muirhead, Kerr, Taiwo (McHugh 66)
      Unused subs:  Tokarczyk (gk), Smith, Cooper, O'Hara, Gallagher, Maybury
      Goals: Watson (40)
      Booked: Watson (foul on Hemmings)
      Referee: Willie Collum. Assistants: Alastair Mather, Alasdair Ross. 4th official: Colin Steven.
      Attendance: 4,279
      Report: James Christie
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.