Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
  • Categories

  • Similar Content

    • By TheDarkBlues
      Falkirk Football Club is a Scottish professional association football club based in the town of Falkirk. The club was founded in 1876[3] and competes in the Scottish Championship as a member of the Scottish Professional Football League. The club was elected to the Second Division of the Scottish Football League in 1902–03, was promoted to the First Division after two seasons and achieved its highest league position in the early 1900s when it was runner-up to Celtic in 1907–08 and 1909–10. The football club was registered as a Limited Liability Company in April 1905 – Falkirk Football & Athletic Club Ltd.
      Falkirk won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1913. After 1945, Falkirk were promoted and demoted between the Premier and First Divisions seven times until 1995–96, and during the 1970s spent three seasons in the Second Division. In 2005, Falkirk were promoted to the Scottish Premier League (SPL). Falkirk won the Scottish Cup again in 1957 and were runners-up in the competition in 1997, 2009 and 2015. As a result of its performance in the 2009 Scottish Cup, the club qualified for the inaugural season of the UEFA Europa League in 2009–10. Falkirk have won the second tier of Scottish football a record seven times, an honour shared with St Johnstone. They have also won the Scottish Challenge Cup more than any other club, winning it for the fourth time in 2012.
      In their early years, Falkirk played at three venues: Hope Street, Randyford Park and Blinkbonny Park. Between 1885 and 2003, the club was based at Brockville Park, built on the former Hope Street ground. After the creation of the SPL in 1998, its strict stadium criteria – to which Brockville Park did not conform – was enforced, and the club was denied promotion on three occasions. The club's present home ground since 2003 is the Falkirk Stadium, an 7,937 all-seater stadium on the outskirts of Falkirk.
    • By UWTB1893
      Haber becomes Paul Hartley's 14th signing this summer with the Bairns boss delighted with his recent arrival.

      "I'm absolutely delighted to recruit a player of Marcus' calibre," said Hartley.

      "I am surprised that a player of his quality has become available, but equally pleased to have signed him.

      "He will add great experience and presence to our front line and I'm sure will contribute goals too. Ww identified the need to strengthen our frontline and I feel the signing of Marcus does just that." 

      Marcus Haber played 41 times for Dundee, scoring 10 goals.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Dundee made only one change from Friday night's game in Aberdeen. Kosta Gazdhalov came in for Darren O'Dea who was not registered in time for the original date. Falkirk made three changes, David McCracken for Peter Grant, Blair Alston for Connor McGrandles and Tom Taiwo for Lee Miller.
      Dundee started promisingly with Nick Ross sending Nicky Low to the byline in the first minute, but there were no takers for a dangerous cross. The Bairns, however, settled quickly and took the game to the Dee. Falkirk tried to play their way through the Dundee midfield and defence with neat passing, and were sometimes allowed rather too much room to do so.
      With less of the ball Dundee looked more dangerous. Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart managed to find a surprising amount of space, and Hemmings was often on the shoulders of the last defender, trying to burst clear.
      Twice in quick succession Dundee passed their way through the Bairns' defence. Delightful play between Gary Harkins and Greg Stewart almost played Hemmings in, but Danny Rogers managed to dive on the ball. Ross then blazed his shot over the bar from a tight angle after Harkins' had cleverly created the opportunity. For all Falkirk's good football they weren't convincing when they reached the penalty area. Blair Alston did force a good save from Scott Bain with a shot from 18 yards.
      The home fans had been getting frustrated with a series of narrow offside decisions that went against Dundee. When they did beat the offside trap after 38 minutes they took the lead. HEMMINGS took a long pass from Paul McGowan and from 18 yards crashed his shot into the net off the underside of the crossbar.
      The Bairns hit back almost immediately with a goal that owed nothing to the neat football they'd been playing. Dundee's attempted breakout from a corner broke down and Mark Kerr sent the ball straight back into the home penalty area. The unmarked John Baird was onside and he played the ball across for Paul WATSON to force in the equaliser.
      The Dark Blues recovered well from that disappointment and went on to take charge of the match in the second half. It took a while for the Dee to click as a series of promising moves didn't quite come off. There was almost a scare when Craig Sibbald's run took him deep into the penalty area, but he waited far too long before shooting and lost the chance. It was just about the only time in the second half that the Bairns looked truly dangerous. Their failure to take advantage cost them dearly as the Dee went back in front shortly afterwards with a marvellous goal.
      Paul McGowan found Paul McGinn on the right. The full back took a great first touch to knock the ball into space and fired over a fine cross that eluded Harkins only for HEMMINGS to smash home an unstoppable far post volley from six yards  - his ninth goal in the last six games.
      With Dundee in the lead the Bairns pushed forward and looked increasingly vulnerable against Dundee's skillful attackers. Paul Hartley added to Falkirk's problems by sending on Rory Loy to replace Nicky Low with 20 minutes to go. It looked a bold move and it quickly paid off with an excellent third goal.
      Hemmings broke down the right with Loy in support. The Falkirk defence were all watching the ex Bairn and failed to spot Harkins' run through the middle. Hemmings timed his pass perfectly, and HARKINS took a touch before drilling a low shot into the corner of the goal from 18 yards.
      Julen Etxabeguren was a welcome sight for the home support, returning from his eye injury a few minutes from full time when Kosta Gadzhalov was suffering from cramp.
      Greg Stewart nearly put the Dee out of sight when he dribbled into the penalty area and shot against the outside of the post. Falkirk worked hard to try and get back into the match, but failed to create any chances except for a stinging 20 yarder in injury time from Will Vaulks that Bain did well to turn away.
      Dundee now move on to Dumbarton for the 5th round against another Championship side. Tonight the Dark Blues showed that when their attackers are on form they can make life very difficult for teams from outside the Premiership. Falkirk are one of the best sides in the Championship, and they showed tonight why they are widely admired for the quality and style of their football. However, they had no answer to Dundee's attacking flair, and that was the crucial difference that gave the Dee a deserved win.
      Dundee FC 4-4-1-1
      McGinn, Gadazhalov (Etxabeguren 70), Konrad, Holt
      Stewart, McGowan, Ross, Low (Loy 70)
      Unused subs: Mitchell (gk), Irvine, Curran, Kerr, Wighton
      Goal: Hemmings (38, 59), Harkins (73)
      Booked: none
      Falkirk FC 4-4-1-1
      Vaulks, Watson, McCracken, Leahy
      Alston, Muirhead, Kerr, Taiwo (McHugh 66)
      Unused subs:  Tokarczyk (gk), Smith, Cooper, O'Hara, Gallagher, Maybury
      Goals: Watson (40)
      Booked: Watson (foul on Hemmings)
      Referee: Willie Collum. Assistants: Alastair Mather, Alasdair Ross. 4th official: Colin Steven.
      Attendance: 4,279
      Report: James Christie
    • By TheDarkBlues
      The only change from Tuesday night's winning team was that Craig Beattie replaced Nicky Riley, with Martin Boyle moving to the right wing.
      Dundee started well against an uncertain Bairns' defence, that was leaving space in front of the full backs and consistently failed to clear the ball when they had the chance.
      The Dark Blues had the first chance after 10 minutes when Peter MacDonald's header from a corner was hacked off the line by Millar. The Dee continued to threaten but the vital goal fell to Falkirk after 18 minutes. Millar's inswinger was headed home at the near post by Mark BECK.
      Falkirk were not playing the fluent passing game that has caused Dundee so many problems this season, but they posed a different threat today in the lanky form of Beck, on loan from Carlisle. He might not have been particularly elegant on the ground, but in the air he unsettled the Dundee defence.
      Craig Beattie nearly fashioned a quick equaliser. He turned Kingsley brilliantly to run clear, but keeper McGovern managed to block his shot.
      Falkirk's next corner nearly led to a goal, but for Dundee. Declan Gallagher won the ball superbly to send Boyle racing down the right. With the Bairns' defenders backtracking he ran on and rolled the ball across for Beattie 14 yards out. The striker should have scored, but went for power rather than accuracy and hit the ball straight at McGovern.
      The Dee had a rather fortunate escape themselves when Loy's run set up a scramble in which Grandles and Beck had shots charged down.
      The Falkirk defence continued to look vulnerable, but Dundee couldn't force the equaliser. A third golden chance fell to Craig Beattie. MacDonald chested Davidson's cross down, but from eight yards Beattie smashed his shot against the outside of the post.
      The Dark Blues defence may have looked more secure than the Bairns', but it was hardly convincing and Dundee had a final let off when Loy's 18 yard shot took a deflection and flew narrowly wide.
      Sadly for Dundee they couldn't carve open the Bairns' defence as easily in the second half and they paid the price for squandering their first half chances. Falkirk looked more comfortable sitting back, and their midfield finally started to offer their defence some protection.
      Boyle was still lively on the right, and a good run ended with a very poor late challenge by Millar that the officials somehow missed.
      Jim McAlister took a head knock bravely challenging for an Irvine cross. Ryan Conroy took his place on the left of midfield. Dundee were exerting plenty of pressure, but there was little composure or conviction and it was the visitors who came closest to scoring again.
      Davidson dived into a challenge on Millar who was heading for the byline. He took both man and ball. Referee Mr McKendrick decided it was more man than ball and pointed to the penalty spot. Last week Kyle Letheren saved a spot kick by standing his ground. Today he saved Millar's penalty with a magnificent low save to his left.
      This gave the crowd a huge lift and they got right behind the Dee. Christian Nadé came on for Beattie, and then Nicky Riley replaced Rae. Dundee now had three strikers and two wide players, but they lacked a midfield to control the game.
      Dundee's desperate attempts to chase an equaliser always left them vulnerable to a Falkirk break. Beck was largely ineffective in the second half, but Rory Loy's probing runs were far more dangerous. His team mates didn't get forward to support him, however, as the Bairns concentrated on watching the clock.
      Falkirk's time wasting was largely tolerated by the referee. Mr McKendrick was infuriating the home crowd with some unnecessary fussiness, but Dundee's problems were of their own making and the Dee could have no complaints over the big decisions by the referee today.
      Dundee did manage to force the ball into the net in injury time when Gallagher bundled Irvine's cross into the net along with the keeper. Such goals have been allowed recently, but no-one was very surprised when Mr McKendrick refused to allow it.
      All Dundee had to show for their second half pressure were some wayward shots from distance and a couple of Boyle shots that were charged down or deflected. All the other attacks petered out with poor final balls and poor choices.
      In recent games Dundee have been tight at the back and have taken the few chances that came their way. Today they conceded a disappointingly soft goal then spurned some excellent chances. In the first half they actually played far better than in many recent wins. Without scoring that counts for nothing, and the way that Dundee fell away in the second half disappointed everyone.
      The hectic spell of five games in 15 days is now over, with the Dee having taken 10 points but lost the top spot. They now have a week to regroup and prepare for the big showdown at New Douglas Park next week. The Dark Blues will need all the support they can get in what is surely their biggest game for several years.
      Dundee FC 4-4-2
      Irvine, Gallagher, Cummins, Dyer
      Boyle, Davidson, Rae (Riley 72), McAlister (Conroy 55)
      Beattie (Nadé 64), MacDonald
      Unused subs: Twardzik (gk), Kerr, McBride, Doris
      Booked: Irvine (foul on Kingsley)
      Falkirk FC 4-4-2
      Vaulks, McCracken, Kingsley, Chalmers
      Alston (Leahy 64), Millar, Sibbald, McGrandles (Durojaiye 86)
      Beck, Loy (Flynn 89)
      Unused subs: Bowman (gk), Small, Hogg, Shepherd
      Goal: Beck (18)
      Booked: none
      Attendance: 4,919
      Referee: John McKendrick
      Report: James Christie
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.