Jump to content
The Dark Blues
  • Queen Of the South 4 - 3 Dundee

    Dundee's 4-3 defeat in Dumfries today was a painful lesson in how tough this season's Championship will be. The scoreline might look like a nail-biting seven goal thriller, but the sorry truth is that the Dee were beaten comfortably by an impressive Queen of the South. The day started well when Dundee took the lead with an early Peter MacDonald goal but Queens deservedly equalised through Derek Lyle on the stroke of half time.

    Dundee's 4-3 defeat in Dumfries today was a painful lesson in how tough this season's Championship will be. The scoreline might look like a nail-biting seven goal thriller, but the sorry truth is that the Dee were beaten comfortably by an impressive Queen of the South. The day started well when Dundee took the lead with an early Peter MacDonald goal but Queens deservedly equalised through Derek Lyle on the stroke of half time.

    The hosts then tore Dundee apart in a 10 minute spell in the middle of the second half that the Dark Blues defence will have nightmares about. Ryan McGuffie scored with a penalty before Iain Russell and Michael Paton added two more. Late goals from Declan Gallagher and a Calum Antell own goal added a trace of respectability to the scoreline,  but there can be no hiding from the fact that this was, well, a hiding.

    Nicky Riley was injured so Dundee fielded Davidson and McBride in central midfield with Gavin Rae playing in the advanced role behind the strikers.

    There were worrying signs of the problems to come even before Dundee took the lead after six minutes.

    Paton beat Benedictus on the right and fired in a dangerous cross. With the goal gaping Lyle sent his header straight to Letheren.

    Dundee punished Queens for wasting that chance by going up the park and taking the lead. Benedictus's free kick was laid off by Monti for MACDONALD to curl the ball around the keeper and into the net; not so much a shot, more an elegant pass into the net.

    Frustratingly that was as good as it got for the Dee in the first half. The Dark Blues were only sporadically threatening, and Queens dominated.

    Queens were full of confidence, hard running and enthusiasm. Their front three, with Paton and Russell playing wide of ex-Dee Derek Lyle, repeatedly found space behind the Dundee wing backs and pulled the centre backs wide.

    Chris Mitchell's fiercely driven set piece deliveries caused repeated problems in the Dundee defence. The Dark Blues were fortunate to escape one scramble when McGuffie's header from a corner was blocked on the line.

    Iain Russell wasted a great chance to equalise when the ball broke to him 15 yards out, but he shot yards too high.

    With the referee about to blow for half time Matt Lockwood gave away a silly free kick wide on the Dundee right. Chris Mitchell whipped the ball in, finding LYLE in space at the far post to head across Letheren and score, despite Benedictus's desperate acrobatics on the goal line. That was the last action of the half as the half time whistle sounded as soon as Dundee kicked off.

    Queens certainly deserved to reach half time on level terms, but John Brown would have been furious about conceding such an atrocious and avoidable goal so late in the half.

    There was little sign of improvement after half time, and Dundee still looked uncomfortable defending set pieces. Just before the hour they came unstuck again, when Davidson seemed to hold McKenna as Mitchell's corner was coming over. That was the referee's decision anyway, and MCGUFFIE stroked the penalty home.

    After opening up the Dee defence at set pieces Queens now carved them open twice with fast, simple moves in open play. Lyle headed the ball into the path of RUSSELL, who lashed the ball under Letheren from 12 yards.

    Russell then picked up a loose header from Davidson and surged through the middle. He found PATON on the right, who cut inside and shot across Letheren for a ridiculously simple fourth goal.

    Queens were threatening to run away with the game and build up a truly humiliating score. After a lengthy passing move Lyle's volley forced a good save from Letheren.

    John Brown withdrew Lockwood and Monti, sending on Steven Doris and Martin Boyle, as Dundee struggled desperately, and in vain to turn the game around.

    Surprisingly the Dee pulled a goal back after 79 minutes when GALLAGHER headed in Conroy's corner at the near post. On 87 minutes Queens' keeper Calum ANTELL made a mess of a McBride free kick, dropping the ball into his own goal under pressure from Davidson.

    Sadly Dundee had failed to worry the Queens' defence in open play throughout the game, and couldn't change that in the last few minutes. Queens survived comfortably and thoroughly deserved the win.

    The Dark Blues were second best all over the park today and will have to admit that all the plaudits must go to Queen of the South who gave the Dee a 4-3 thrashing!

    The midfield was one paced and couldn't protect the defence or create any dangerous opportunities for the strikers, who were left isolated and ineffective. The defence was constantly pulled about by Queens' pacey attacking down the wings and didn't look comfortable at any stage.

    There are clearly lessons to be learned from today's defeat. At least no-one can be under any illusions that this will be an easy campaign for the Dee. On the evidence at Palmerston Park today it's going to be a tough season.

    Queen of the South 4-3-3

    Mitchell, Dowie, Higgins, Holt
    McKenna, McGuffie, Burns
    Paton (Carmichael 86), Lyle (Reilly 86), Russell

    Unused subs; Atkinson (gk), Durnan, McShane, Slattery, Orsi

    Goals; Lyle (45), McGuffie (59 pen), Russell (62), Paton (69)

    Booking; Burns (foul on Doris)

    Dundee FC 3-4-1-2

    Benedictus, Lockwood (Boyle 66), Gallagher
    McAlister, Davidson, McBride, Conroy
    MacDonald, Monti (Doris 63)

    Unused subs; Kerr, Dyer, Reid, Wighton

    Goals; MacDonald (6), Gallagher (79), Antell (87 og)

    Bookings; Gallagher (foul on Russell), Benedictus (foul on Russell), Davidson (foul on McKenna for penalty), McBride (dissent)

    Attendance; 2,644

    Referee; Brian Colvin

    Report; James Christie   


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By TheDarkBlues
      We have a home tie against Queen of the south in the 4th round of the William Hill Scottish Cup.
      Can we win it this year please and get this monkey off our back!
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Queen of the South Football Club are a Scottish professional football club formed in March 1919 and located in Dumfries. The club currently plays in the Scottish Championship, the second tier of Scottish football. They are officially nicknamed The Doonhamers but are usually referred to as Queens or QoS. Their home ground since their formation has been Palmerston Park.
      The club's national honours include winning the Division B Championship in season 1950–51, the Second Division Championship in season 2001-02 and in season 2012-13, and also the Scottish Challenge Cup in seasons 2002-03 and 2012–13. Queens led Scotland's top division until New Year during the 1953–54 season and the club's highest finish in Scotland's top division was fourth in the 1933–34 season. The club reached their first major cup final in 2008 when they reached the final of the Scottish Cup, where they were runners-up to Rangers. Gary Naysmith is the club manager, having been appointed on 1 December 2016 and John Rankin is the current club captain, having been appointed on 7 January 2017.
    • By UWTB1893
      The ex-Ross County boss takes over a Dundee side who sit bottom of the league.

      Dundee confirmed the appointment from their website:

      “Dundee Football Club is delighted to announce that Jim McIntyre has tonight been appointed manager of the club.
      “46-year-old, Jim has enjoyed a successful managerial career over the past 10 years with time in charge at Dunfermline Athletic, Queen of the South and Ross County.
      “He won promotion to the top flight with Dunfermline in his first job in management in 2011.
      “After leaving the East End Park side he went on to manage Queen of the South where he enjoyed success with a 4th place finish in the Championship.
      “Jim moved to Ross County in 2014 and went on to lead them to their first major trophy with a League Cup win in 2015/16, a season in which he also won the SFWA Manager of the Year award.
      “Jim joins on a one year rolling contract and will meet the players tomorrow morning before taking training.”

      McIntyre has been out of management for just over a year since he was sacked from Ross County along with his assistant Billy Dodds. As of yet, there has been no word if Dodds will following him to Dens Park but it would be a brave and silly man to appoint someone as hated among the Dark Blue support as the ex-Dundee striker and assistant manager.

      Jim McIntyre will be unveiled in front of the press tomorrow at lunchtime.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.