Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
  • Match Reports 2014

    Dundee had to settle for a goalless draw in tonight's friendly at Brechin, where the local City were a tougher nut to crack than their more illustrious namesakes from Manchester. Both sides worked hard, but were guilty of wasteful finishing. The Dark Blues had most of the play and exerted greater pressure, but only a great save from new keeper Grant Adam stopped Brechin's Ryan Ferguson grabbing a winner right at the end.

    Grant Adam and Kevin Thomson were the only players in the starting line-up tonight who also started on Sunday. As well as ringing the changes with the personnel Paul Hartley switched to 4-4-2.

    Both defences had an uncomfortable start to the game as the two teams carved out good chances. Robert Thomson wasted Brechin's first chance after only two minutes. He should have taken advantage of a defensive mix up, but fired well over the bar.

    Related Posts:

    Dundee should have scored themselves two minutes later. Peter MacDonald then sent a free header too high from a Roberts' corner. Greg Stewart was next to threaten the home goal with a neat turn and shot from 18 yards that forced a good save from keeper Smith.

    Paul McGinn then made a great last gasp interception to nod the ball out for a corner when Robert Thomson seemed sure to score.

    MacDonald flicked the ball wide from a low McGinn cross as play raced from end to end. Roberts' pace was causing Brechin serious problems on the left. With the equally speedy Martin Boyle on the other wing City's wing backs were forced to defend deeper as the half progressed.

    The defences settled down after the opening exchanges and both teams found it harder to make chances. The game sprang back into life towards half time and Brechin were glad to reach half time with a clean sheet.

    MacDonald skilfully made space on the left and his dangerous cross forced Steven Jackson to turn the ball over for a corner almost from under his own crossbar.

    The best move of the match saw Roberts flash a first time volley into the roof of the net from Thomson's lovely through ball, but sadly the linesman's flag was up.

    MacDonald came within an inch of a goal just before half time when his 25 yard free kick rebounded from the crossbar.

    Dundee made seven changes at half time, and Paul McGinn swapped wings to play at left back.

    The second half took a long time to get going, with both teams working hard but creating little. The longer the half wore on the stronger Dundee looked and the harder they pressed the Brechin defence. However, there were no clear chances and Graeme Smith in the Brechin goal had a quieter time than he would have expected.

    Craig Wighton, Paul McGowan and Kieron Cadogan all showed good touches in wide areas, but there was never any end product. Dundee's attacks featured neat pasing in the approach to the penalty area, but the final ball always failed to open up the defence.

    Alan Trouten nearly scored a spectacular goal in a Brechin breakaway when he tried to catch out Adam from 45 yards, but his ambitious effort floated over the bar.

    The pressure on Brechin's goal then resumed, but the Dark Blues struggled to break through a hard working defence.

    City should have grabbed a winner at the death. First Trouten whipped a 15 yard volley just over the bar. Then with only a minute to go Barr sent Ferguson clear but Adam made a great low save to spare the Dee's blushes.

    This might have been a friendly, but there was no holding back tonight. Some of the tackling was distinctly competitive. The Dark Blues played some neat football in spells, but were never in full control of the game. For all the pressure they exerted they didn't cause the Brechin defence enough problems. A draw was a fair result in a good workout for both sides.

    Brechin City 3-5-2

    McLean, Steven Jackson (Cameron 68), Darren McCormack (McLauchlan 76)
    Jamie McCormack (Gilmour 59), Trouten, Fusco (Brash 81), Molloy, Hamilton
    Andy Jackson (Barr 57), Thomson (Ferguson 57)

    Dundee FC 1st half 4-4-2

    McGinn, Benedictus, Davidson, Kerr
    Boyle, Riley, Thomson, Roberts
    Stewart, MacDonald

    Dundee FC 2nd half 4-4-2

    Irvine, Benedictus, McPake, McGinn
    Cadogan, McGowan, Harkins, McAlister
    Wighton, MacDonald

    Referee: Craig Charleston

    Attendance: 1,012

    Report: James Christie


    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
  • Categories

  • Similar Content

    • By TheDarkBlues
      Brechin City Football Club is a Scottish football club based in the town[note 1] of Brechin in Angus. The club was founded in 1906 by players and officials of two local clubs, Brechin Harp and Brechin Hearts. The club currently competes in Scottish League One as a member of the Scottish Professional Football League.
      The club's highest achievements include winning the third tier of Scottish football three times, the last coming in 2004–05 as champions of the Second Division. The club has also reached the final of the Scottish Challenge Cup, losing 2–0 to Queen of the South in 2002. Brechin's home ground is Glebe Park with the capacity to seat around 1,500 spectators in its capacity of 4,083. The ground opened in 1919. The current player/manager is Darren Dods, who was appointed in June 2015.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      The Dark Blues fielded a similar adventurous formation to the side that played well against Raith Rovers on Wednesday. Greg Stewart and Phil Roberts supported Rory Loy in attack, with a three man midfield behind them, and wing backs pushing aggressively up the pitch. However, Dundee couldn't repeat the fluent, high tempo possession game that allowed them to dominate the games against Rovers. Brechin never allowed Dundee to settle on the ball at any stage of the match.
      The Dark Blues had a hard time trying to break down Brechin's well drilled defence. Most of their efforts in the first half were from distance without worrying Brechin's keeper Graeme Smith. James McPake did go close in the third minute when he hit a fierce 25 yarder too high after exchanging passes with Gary Harkins.
      The home side pressed hard throughout and put the Dark Blues' defenders under constant pressure when they tried to play their way up the park. Dundee couldn't build a passing game, or even keep possession as smoothly as they did against Raith Rovers.
      The defence was disrupted after 20 minutes when Kosta Gadzhalov left the pitch clutching his shoulder and was replaced by Julen Etxabeguren. Five minutes later Dundee failed to clear a free kick and Dene Shields' lofted shot narrowly missed the top corner.
      Dundee were making life difficult for themselves with some slack passing. Brechin could easily have taken the lead when they were twice allowed too much space too attack. Former Dundee United youngster Robert Thomson pulled his shot wide after Gary Fusco set up the chance. Dundee had a lucky escape shortly afterwards when Shields shot hit McPake's hand and flew wide. There could have been no complaints if City had been awarded a penalty.
      Paul McGinn hit a 20 yard shot a couple of feet wide, and it wasn't till the last minute of the half that Dundee managed to force a save from Smith. Loy turned well and the Brechin keeper had to be alert to turn the shot out for a corner.
      Dundee made five changes at half time. Irvine, Holt and Black coming on in defence for McPake, Kerr and McGinn. Young Australian Jess Curran replaced McGowan in midfield and Kane Hemmings came on for Phil Roberts up front. The Dark Blues looked like they might settle into an improved game after the break. They showed some promise with more composed moves. At last they were starting to play some promising balls into the penalty area, but they were still failing to create clear chances.
      Loy had a half chance just after the hour, but his shot was blocked. He was then replaced by Luka Tankulic and the German striker almost immediately set up a great chance for Kane Hemmings, whose shot beat Smith only for Fusco to pull off a great goalline clearance.
      After the better start to the second half Dundee's game started to become more ragged and Brechin looked capable of taking advantage of some slack play. Thomson blasted an angled shot wide when he might have done better, but he made no mistake with 20 minutes left. The Dundee defence got into a fankle trying to clear, and the ball broke to THOMSON 15 yards out. He took a touch and hammered the winning goal past the helples Mitchell.
      It nearly got worse for Dundee when more hesitancy in defence ended with Irvine smashing a clearance against Jackson and the ball rebounding against the post. Hemmings came close to saving the game when he ran onto a lovely ball over the top by Stewart. He should have scored but Smith saved well.
      The game was much more open as the Dark Blues chased an equaliser. Mitchell had to stretch to turn a cross over the bar from Weatherston. The same player went close again, shooting into the side netting after Johnston had caused trouble on Dundee's left flank.
      Dundee's last half chance fell to Hemmings, who couldn't keep his header from Stewart's cross down. Brechin didn't settle back to defend their lead and in the last minute Johnston went close from 20 yards after a good run.
      Brechin were well worth their win for their energetic determination to stop Dundee settling down. The home side had at least as good opportunities as the Dark Blues, and made far fewer mistakes. This was a highly forgettable game for the Dee. Pre-season friendlies are seldom a good guide to the season ahead, and every Dee will be hoping that performances like this won't be repeated when the serious games start.
      Brechin City 4-3-2-1
      Graeme Smith
      Buchan, Dods (Tiffoney-trialist 60), McCormack, McLean,
      Dale (Montgomery 72), Fusco (Molloy 65), Ewan Smith trialist (Ashgar 60)
      Thomson (Weatherston-trialist 72), Shields (Johnston 65)
      Unused sub: O'Neil (gk)
      Goal: Thomson (70)
      Booked: none
      Dundee FC 4-3-3
      McGinn (Black HT), McPake (Irvine HT), Gadzhalov (Etxabeguren 20), Kerr (Holt HT)
      Ross, Harkins, McGowan (Curran HT)
      Roberts (Hemmings HT), Loy (Tankulic 61), Stewart
      Unused sub: Bain (gk)
      Booked: none
      Referee: Craig Charleston
      Attendance : 869
      Report: James Christie
    • By TheDarkBlues
      There is no match report yet. Please come back later.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Fixture: Brechin City vs. Dundee

      Competition: Pre Season Friendly
      Date: 16 July 2014
      Kick Off: 7:45pm
      Venue: Glebe Park

      Brechin City 0 - 0 Dundee

      Brechin City: 3-5-2

      Team: Smith, McLean, Steven Jackson (Cameron 68), Darren McCormack (McLauchlan 76) Jamie McCormack (Gilmour 59), Trouten, Fusco (Brash 81), Molloy, Hamilton, Andy Jackson (Barr 57), Thomson (Ferguson 57)

      Subs:  Cameron, McLauchlan, Gilmour, Brash, Barr, Ferguson

      Dundee FC: 1st half 4-4-2

      Adam, McGinn, Benedictus, Davidson, Kerr, Boyle, Riley, Thomson, Roberts, Stewart, MacDonald

      Dundee FC: 2nd half 4-4-2

      Adam, Irvine, Benedictus, McPake, McGinn, Cadogan, McGowan, Harkins, McAlister, Wighton, MacDonald

      Referee: Craig Charleston

      Full Match Report
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.