Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
  • Match Reports 2014

    Dundee 2 - 3 Aberdeen

    Dundee went down to a disappointing 3-2 defeat at home to Aberdeen at Dens today. The Dark Blues played well, but poor defending cost them a point. The Dons took the lead three times through Considine, a McPake own goal and Goodwillie. Dundee pulled themslves back into the match twice with goals from Gary Harkins and a David Clarkson penalty, but couldn't get the final equaliser that their good football deserved.

    Paul Hartley made three changes to the team. Thomas Konrad, Kevin McBride and David Clarkson came in for Simon Ferry, Martin Boyle and Luka Tankulic.

    The match started at a furious pace with the teams trading goals in the first six minutes. The Dons took the lead following a free kick swept into the box by Barry Robson. The ball was half cleared and returned for David Goodwillie to hook a cross over for the unmarked Andy CONSIDINE, who didn't even have to leap for the ball as he lunged to score with a strong header.

    Related Posts:

    Dundee fought back strongly and equalised within three minutes. Ash Taylor made a mess of dealing with a Greg Stewart run, and sent the ball straight to Gary HARKINS who rifled a superb low shot into the corner of the net from 25 yards.

    Both sides attacked aggressively in an entertaining first half and more goals seemed certain to come. David Clarkson was busy and effective on his first start for the Dee. He got on the end of McGinn's cross, but his header was just too high.

    Aberdeen regained the lead after 27 minutes. Niall McGinn made space on the right to send over a dangerous cross. Shay Logan and James McPake both challenged for it, and the ball glanced off the defender's head to leave Letheren helpless.

    Again Dundee responded well and pushed the visitors onto the back foot. McAlister headed on a Stewart cross for Clarkson who couldn't quite reach the ball to turn it in at the far post. Clarkson was unlucky again when his shot cannoned off the post after Harkins' run had opened up the defence.

    Dundee would have deserved an equaliser before the break, but had a lucky escape when Taylor's mishit shot sent the ball flying across goal, off Considine's head and narrowly past the post.

    The Dark Blues started the second half well and were well worth their early equaliser. Referee Mr Collum pointed to the penalty spot after Taylor first seemed to handle and then caught McAlister late. It wasn't clear which was the crucial offence, but it hardly mattered. CLARKSON duly smashed home the spot kick.

    Dundee were looking good now, but let themselves down yet again with a poorly defended goal. GOODWILLIE was allowed far too much time and space to direct his header from Logan's cross past Letheren.

    The Dark Blues kept fighting, but couldn't pull Aberdeen back for a third time. Craig Wighton came on for Clarkson, and then Martin Boyle for McBride. Late on Peter McDonald replaced Greg Stewart. However, the substitutes couldn't turn the game round and Aberdeen were street-smart enough to take the pace out of the match and frustrate Dundee.

    McAlister's well struck 20 yard shot was well taken by Langfield. Boyle had space to shoot from the edge of the penalty area, but blazed over. However, Dundee were struggling to create opportunities against a determined Dons' defence.

    Aberdeen were content to sit back and hit on the break, looking dangerous on occasion. Goodwillie managed to push his way past McPake and set up Rooney, whose shot was blocked.

    In the final stages the Dee came close when Boyle's fierce low cross deflected off Taylor and forced Langield to tip the ball over the bar. Harkins then had a 25 yard effort that wasn't far wide before the Dons killed the match in injury time keeping the ball by corner flag down by the tunnel.

    Dundee did manage to get upfield for one final corner that caused momentary confusion in the Dons' goalmouth, but as soon as the ball was hoofed clear the final whistle went.

    There were plenty of encouraging signs in today's performance, but ultimately you can't expect to get anything in the Premiership if you concede three simple goals from crosses. David Clarkson's performance was promising and Dundee always looked dangerous in attack till the Dons decided to sit back for the last 20 minutes.

    With a little bit more concentration in defence this could easily have been a good afternoon for the Dee. A home defeat is always disappointing, but there's no reason for the support to feel despondent. Paul Hartley has assembled a good enough squad to cope in this league and the international break will give him the chance to get players fit again after injury.

    Dundee FC 4-4-2

    McGinn, McPake, Konrad, Irvine
    McGowan, McBride (Boyle 78), McAlister, Harkins
    Clarkson (Wighton 67), Stewart (McDonald 82)

    Unused subs: Bain (gk), Roberts, Kerr, Allan

    Goal: Harkins (6), Clarkson (54 pen)

    Booked: McPake (foul on Flood), McBride (foul on Robson)

    Aberdeen FC 4-4-2

    Logan, Taylor, Considine, Reynolds
    McGinn (Smith 90+1), Robson, Flood, Pawlett (Murray 87)
    Rooney, Goodwillie (Low 77)

    Unused subs: Brown (gk), Rose, Monakana, Felek

    Goals: Considine (3), McPake OG (27), Goodwillie (63)

    Booked: Robson (foul on McAlister), Considine (foul on Wighton)

    Referee: Willie Collum

    Attendance: 8,784

    Report: James Christie

    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
  • Categories

  • Similar Content

    • By TheDarkBlues
      Aberdeen Football Club (also known as The Dons) is a Scottish professional football club based in Aberdeen, Scotland. They compete in the Scottish Premiership and have never been relegated from the top division of the Scottish football league system since they were promoted in 1905, despite twice finishing within the relegation zone. Aberdeen have won four Scottish league titles, seven Scottish Cups and six Scottish League Cups. They are also the only Scottish team to have won two European trophies, having won the European Cup Winners' Cup and the European Super Cup in 1983.
      Formed in 1903 as a result of the amalgamation of three clubs from Aberdeen, they rarely challenged for honours until the post war decade, when they won each of the major Scottish trophies under manager Dave Halliday. This level of success was surpassed in the 1980s, when, under the management of Alex Ferguson, they won three league titles, four Scottish Cups and a Scottish League Cup, alongside the two European trophies. Aberdeen were the last club outside the Old Firm to win a league title, in 1984–85, and also the last Scottish team to win a European trophy. The team has enjoyed less success since this golden era, though a 19-year wait for a major trophy was ended by winning the 2013–14 Scottish League Cup.
      Aberdeen have played at Pittodrie Stadium since their inception. The ground currently has a capacity of 20,866 and was the first all-seated and all-covered stadium in the United Kingdom. Pittodrie was also the first football stadium to feature a dug-out, an invention of player and coach Donald Colman.
      The club's colours have been primarily red and white since 1939; before this, they played in black and gold vertical stripes. In modern times, Aberdeen have almost exclusively played with all-red strips with white detailing. Aberdeen attract support from the city and surrounding areas, as they are the only senior team within a wide area. Aberdeen have no geographically close rivals; their nearest neighbours at the same level are in the city of Dundee.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Dundee 1 Aberdeen 2. League Cup tie from Dens Park, 30/11/83. Att: 11,019.
      Dundee must win to qualify, That looked tough when McGhee scored his 100th Dons goal with a cross-shot which Geddes might have saved.
      Aberdeen: McGhee and Bell. Dundee: Cammy Frazer
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Dundee 1 Aberdeen 2. League Cup tie from Dens Park, 30/11/83. Att: 11,019.
      Dundee must win to qualify, That looked tough when McGhee scored his 100th Dons goal with a cross-shot which Geddes might have saved. Aberdeen Scorers McGhee (18) and Bell (46).
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Aberdeen obliterated Dundee to ensure four teams are split by just a point at the top of the Scottish Premiership.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Sam Cosgrove netted twice against strugglers Dundee, who now trail second-bottom St Mirren by three points.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.