Jump to content
The Dark Blues Dundee FC's foremost fans forum and fansite. Created by Dees for Dees. Get involved
  • Match Reports 2014

    Dundee delighted the supporters with a superb victory at McDiarmid Park this afternoon. The score might only have been 1-0, but the Dark Blues dominated St Johnstone throughout the whole match and thoroughly deserved all the points. Thomas Konrad scored the only goal midway through the first half. The Dark Blues superiority should really have brought more goals, but no-one will be complaining after a performance like this.

    Dundee made only one change to the side that drew with Celtic. Simon Ferry came in for the injured Peter MacDonald and Greg Stewart moved forward to play as the lone striker.

    The Dee started smoothly and confidently in the beautiful sunshine. The Dark Blues midfield settled impressively into control and Saints struggled to build their attacks with the fluency of the Dee. Paul McGowan and Gary Harkins were the key players in the centre of the park, always available and always able to pick out a clever pass.

    Related Posts:

    The first chance fell to Ferry who thrashed the ball well wide after clever play between Roberts and McGinn on the right had exposed the Saints defence.

    Dundee deservedly took the lead midway through the half. Roberts' corner from the left was headed on by McPake. Harkins hooked the ball towards goal and Thomas KONRAD got the final touch to send the ball over the line.

    The Dark Blues could have extended their lead only two minutes later. Roberts tracked back to break up an attack and set up a Dee break. McGinn's low cross found Harkins whose shot whizzed over the bar.

    Saints had plenty of the ball, but struggled to retain possession in the Dundee half and couldn't pick their way through a solid Dark Blue defence.

    The final chance of the first half fell to the Dee. Roberts sailed past Brian Easton and his low cross found McAlister whose shot was deflected wide for a corner.

    Dundee's inventive set pieces always looked dangerous, and this one brought a fresh variation with Roberts finding McGowan whose cross to the far post was just nudged clear before Harkins could score.

    The home side had struggled to threaten the Dundee goal in the first half. A good side like Saints would surely improve and offer a real threat after the break. However, Dundee reasserted their firm control of the game and made Saints look utterly toothless. St Johnstone couldn't build any dangerous moves, and the Dundee defence were never threatened.

    The Dark Blues looked dangerous every time they won the ball and moved forward. Their calm and measured possession game always had the home defence on edge.

    Roberts' cross found McGowan free beyond the the far post, but Mannus beat away his fierce drive. Dundee might have been comfortably in charge, but they weren't creating clear chances. They passed their way neatly around the Saints penalty area, and put in plenty of dangerous crosses, but frustratingly Dundee couldn't kill off Saints.

    Harkins had a 25 yard free kick well saved by Mannus. The Dee playmaker was outstanding today, and McGowan was every bit as impressive alongside him. The two midfielders combined superbly behind Stewart, who also had a fine game. He showed good skill and awareness as he took the ball and brought teammates into play. When he was replaced late in the match by Tankulic he received a well deserved standing ovation from the Dee support.

    Tankulic had the last half chance when he headed over from a corner. Harkins went for a glorious finale when he tried to lob Mannus from 35 yards in injury time, but the ball drifted well wide.

    St Johnstone ran out of ideas long before the end. In the last 20 minutes they lost the ball cheaply every time they came forward as the Dundee defence remained firmly in charge.

    Injury time was played out almost entirely within 40 yards of the Saint goal. The home side were well beaten by this stage and Dundee saw out the game easily.

    St Johnstone are a very good Premiership side and it might be argued that Dundee caught them on an off day. However, the Dark Blues made their hosts look very ordinary indeed. This was as good an away performance as Dundee have given in the top division in many a long year, and the Dees packed in behind the goal that Dundee were attacking in the second half lapped it all up.

    This was no backs to wall win, with a goal being grabbed on the break. Dundee were the better side in every area of the pitch and looked very much at home in the Premiership. It was an excellent team performance from back to front. Their unbeaten run continues and they are now the only undefeated team in the division.

    St Johnstone 4-2-3-1

    Mackay, Anderson, Wright, Easton
    Brown (Lappin 51), Millar
    Wotherspoon, McDonald (Croft 74), O'Halloran (Morgan 62)

    Unused subs: Banks (gk), Caddis, Davidson, Miller

    Booked: O'Halloran (foul on McGinn), Anderson (foul on Harkins)

    Dundee FC 4-4-1-1

    McGinn, McPake, Konrad, Irvine
    Roberts (Boyle 78), McAlister, Ferry (McBride 87), McGowan
    Stewart (Tankuic 83)

    Unused subs: Bain (gk), Clarkson, Davidson, Wighton

    Goal: Konrad (25)

    Booked: none

    Referee: Willie Collum

    Attendance: 6,562

    Report: James Christie

    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
  • Categories

  • Similar Content

    • By UWTB1893
      Hector Nicol’s song ‘Up Wi’ The Bonnets’ pays homage to the great Dundee side who became the Champions of Scotland for the first and only time on the last day of the of 1961/1962 season.
      Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, you can now read the matchday programme in full along with a few extra pages from that night’s Sporting Post. The programme includes notes and comments, the team line-ups, that days fixtures and a hell of a lot of advertisements. Who cares about adverts though? It’s the programme from the day we won the league!

      Most present-day Dundee supporters weren’t lucky enough to see the side in action that Bob Crampsie described as the best footballing team that Scotland ever produced but that doesn’t stop fans of all ages celebrating them as heroes to this day. We are reminded of these players and their accomplishments on a regular basis and rightly so. For the fans that were there to witness this marvellous event, a mere mention of this will bring a wry smile along with the words, “I was there.”
      Saturday, 28th April 1962 was the day when Dundee stood at the top of Scottish football. We were the best team in the county and about to clinch our greatest-ever achievement.

      With the sun shining down on Muirton Park, over 20,000 Dundee supporters would make the short trip to Perth as they hoped to see to the coronation of the new kings of Scotland.
      Dundee went into the match needing only a point to clinch their first title. A dramatic midweek had seen them beat St Mirren at home while closest challengers Rangers stumbled to a 1-0 defeat against Aberdeen. St Johnstone also needed a point, but to stave off relegation.

      Ian Ure recalled in his book, Ure’s Truly, that: “A message was passed to the players that they could collect £50 each if thy made it a draw. The idea was treated with contempt and only served to double our determination.”
      Dundee had previously lost the League Championship on the last day of the 1948/49 season with defeat away to Falkirk but there would be no similar heartbreak for players and supporters this time around. The Gods were smiling on the Dark Blues and the team grabbed their shot at glory with both hands, an emphatic 3-0 win (Gilzean 2, Penman) sealing the title.

      When the final whistle went, the team were mobbed by wave after wave of Dundee supporters as their joy at seeing The Dee finally winning the top prize was too much for them to remain in the terraces.
      The heroes were lost among the thousands who swarmed the turf before being hoisted upon the shoulders of delirious fans. Some players attempted to make their way up to the directors’ box only to be swallowed up by jubilant Dees in the Muirton stand.
      For the 6,000 or so St Johnstone fans in attendance, the sight of Dundee fans holding a party on their own patch compounded their misery. They sat 5th bottom of the league at kick off time, only to find themselves relegated to the Second Division on goal average (this being before the introduction of goal difference) 90 minutes later. 
      The celebrations continued through the night and beyond for everyone of a Dark Blue persuasion. Thousands lined the streets of Dundee to welcome the team bus home and cheer them as manager Bob Shankly, captain Bobby Cox and the rest of the immortals acknowledged the huge support from the balcony of City Chambers.
      That night’s Sporting Post headline was one of the simplest in the illustrious history of that publication but ‘It’s Dundee’s League’ said all that you needed to know and remains a joy to read nearly six decades on.
      Goalkeeper Pat Liney later admitted that no one at the club expected to be challenging for the title that year.
      “I remember it like it was yesterday especially as our triumph was so unexpected,” he said.
       “If you had said to me at the start of the season that we would be top four or five then we would have settled for that.
      “We started the season not expected to win the League and we also did not do too well in the League Cup sections that opened the season.  There was no big thing that just happened, we clicked together and with Rangers two points behind, we ended up at St Johnstone needing a point to win the League.
      The team were a close-knit unit with seven of them living in one big house in Roseangle, a vital factor in Dundee’s success, according to Pat.
      “We lived together, played football together, went to the dancing together and became great friends together,” he recalled.
      More importantly, they became Champions together and, for that, we Dundee fans will forever be grateful.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Callum Hendry scored on his first start for St Johnstone before Matty Kennedy smashed in a second on the hour.
    • By TheDarkBlues
      Dundee slipped deeper into 12th place as they lost their 8th match in a row in Perth.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.