Billy Campbell's Ghost

Next Season'S Squad Strengthening

22 posts in this topic

Must all be on hold given its unknown which league we will be in. Need to get safe asap as some players will be tied up elsewhere...e.g. Danny Swanson maybe going to Hibs.

Another distinct disadvantage from being in our position - as well as not knowing who the manager will be.

I wish Swanson all the luck in the world at Hibs. He's been sitting at their door pants down whoring himself to them for about 6 years now. It'll be a family dream come true. 

Not sure how his dad will take it when 'Danny's too good for them' can't get in the squad. 

Swanson signing for Hibs is simply another reason for me to dislike Hibs 

Think the Hibs fans have been at this Wikipedia page by the look of it

4 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Think the Hibs fans have been at this Wikipedia page by the look of it

To be fair, Hearts are puddle drinkers. They're being absolutely fleeced by Budge and still lap it up. 

16 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

To be fair, Hearts are puddle drinkers. They're being absolutely fleeced by Budge and still lap it up. 

Neil will be their manager next season. tbf

I can't see Cathro not getting a full season. Don't think Levein will want to see his 'protege' fail and will try and give him as long as possible to succeed.

Any comments on the op?

well we need a  whole new midfield.

21 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Must all be on hold given its unknown which league we will be in. Need to get safe asap as some players will be tied up elsewhere...e.g. Danny Swanson maybe going to Hibs.

Another distinct disadvantage from being in our position - as well as not knowing who the manager will be.

You're 100% correct. In the situation we find ourselves in, I'd imagine almost all planning on the football side of things is on hold.

If / when safety is secured, there will need to be a significant effort and real focus on addressing the managerial situation and allowing him to carry out the required surgery on the squad.

Another issue with this is any incoming permanent manager (that is not Neil McCann) will likely want time with the existing squad. This will only lead to more delays.

If we're relegated, even more surgery and cutbacks will be required I'd imagine.

Either way - it's far from ideal and will be costly.

Nothing has to be on hold, you simply offer players pre contracts with relegation breaks (or if they're willing, a lower basic wage). 

Its upto the players whether they accept or continue to look elsewhere.

I imagine everything will be on hold though as nobody knows who the manager will be. 

I'm hoping a large number of these players have s relegation release clause and thus if we did go down we could get rid of a large amount of the Hartley deadwood

9 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Any comments on the op?

Billy I think your opening post is the kind of post that aye opens up good discussions, suggestions & opinions, which I certainly feel eh learn something new fae But in this case you may have answered the problems yourself ... Until we see what league we are in & what permanent manager is in place, is there a real answer?

From someone who disnae get to the games, I'd like to see, under our new manager, us surviving & holding our place in the Premiership. It might then follow that we continue with Neil McCann taking over the reigns permanently. Regarding the squad...even if a positive change in fortunes makes me reconsider keeping most of the squad together, I'd prefer to think that the new manager will have seen the weaknesses in the squad (physical skills & mental attitudes)  And then, with the backing of the BOD, make the pretty drastic changes. I am no even gonna try to pretend I know what is needing done. But it wouldna surprise there would be big changes.

Meanwhile it's full focus on biding in the Premiership. C'mon the Mighty Dees :wub:

1 hour ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Nothing has to be on hold, you simply offer players pre contracts with relegation breaks (or if they're willing, a lower basic wage). 

Its upto the players whether they accept or continue to look elsewhere.

I imagine everything will be on hold though as nobody knows who the manager will be. 

I can't imagine any SPL standard player (the type we desperately need) would be willing to commit to a PCA with relegation breaks or lower wage agreements. 

I certainly wouldn't be signing any dotted line until I knew what league I was in, how much I'd be getting and who I am working for. Until then, I'd be keeping my options wide open. 

They will know what they'd be getting, they'd be agreeing a wage for both leagues. 

Different players need different things, some will chase the money - some will chase the security. 

1 person likes this

Trials for unattached Midfielders for next season.... Fairmuir Park 6pm.....Born before 2000.....bring boots and water bottle.

Let's be honest guys couldn't do any worse than Hartleys picks this season.

1 person likes this

With the defence, I'm assuming that we'll be signing two and likely see Gomis and Gadzhalov depart although that could still change.

If we do, I think Gary MacKenzie could be a good piece of business. He looks well above the level he's playing at and every party of his game is solid with the lapses in concentration and poor ability in front of goal when he was a youngster have now gone. I think we could do a lot worse than offering him a season here (wouldn't push far beyond that as he has had injuries in his past) as I reckon he'd even be one of the better players in this league.

2 people like this

18 hours ago, harry94 said:

With the defence, I'm assuming that we'll be signing two and likely see Gomis and Gadzhalov depart although that could still change.

If we do, I think Gary MacKenzie could be a good piece of business. He looks well above the level he's playing at and every party of his game is solid with the lapses in concentration and poor ability in front of goal when he was a youngster have now gone. I think we could do a lot worse than offering him a season here (wouldn't push far beyond that as he has had injuries in his past) as I reckon he'd even be one of the better players in this league.

Wouldn't be against that idea at all H. Was his deal in paisley only until the end of the season?

15 minutes ago, dblair said:

Was his deal in paisley only until the end of the season?

Aye.... St Mirren supporters I know have him as their POTY. 

Fear not, Jack Ross will bring him in when he arrives in the summer 😎

Is there a chance of McPake making a come back next season? 

I'd still like to see Gadzhalov given a new deal. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

Aye.... St Mirren supporters I know have him as their POTY. 

Fear not, Jack Ross will bring him in when he arrives in the summer 😎

He certainly handled Haber no problem and was better than any of our defenders. 

2 hours ago, DFC1974 said:

Is there a chance of McPake making a come back next season? 

I'd still like to see Gadzhalov given a new deal. 

I just can't see him making it back at this level.

For me he was showing signs of struggling at this level before the injury and by the time  the season started he won't have played for about 20 months and be 33 years old. 

I don't doubt his heart because he was an absolute warrior for us at times but I just can't see him coming back from that Injury.