Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

If Dundee Were A 'one Club City' (Us Of Course) What Could We Expect?

Gedee

I know the timing of this question at this particular moment is no' very clever. But I'm feeling some of the threads seem a bit "stuck" on here and I am trying to introduce something else ...

That's only meh opinion of course (whit might be boring to some, could well be enthralling to someone else) ;)

OK, let's stretch oor imagination, look into the near, or far off, or, no quite sae fae off future, and see Dundee City turning into a One- City- Club ... That's us of course :bouncy:

Could we given time expect to be a real threat in the Premiership? Regular good winning performances against the more elite clubs?  And ever growing attendances :)

This is looking away far ahead of my lifetime. There is no guarantee it will be DFC. But were it to happen, what can we expect? What's your expectations & ambitions?

The idea of this Topic, came about by another comment on another thread, around Aberdeen FC, when Bubster said (rightly) AFC's success has been relatively recent.

So were this too happen, would we eventually be a real force to be reckoned with in Scotish Football? Or wid we,as usual, jist joogle along in time honoured fashion?:chaplin:

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

More of the same. I'm the medium term certainly.

A "hostile" takeover of either club by the other would see the vast proportion (90% plus) of the other sides fans completely walk away.

Youd have phoenix teams forming in the lowland/highland league or juniors etc.

A mutual takeover with completely new colours, name and ground would see the die hards walk away from both sides.

I support Dundee FC. I was brought up to support Dundee FC and we've been worse than Utd almost my whole lifetime. If I valued recent success over my own traditions I'd have converted to Utd years ago but I hate that club in an almost irrational way.

If Dundee FC were replaced by "Sporting Dundee" playing in any new colour combo at the "Tay Arena" albeit with a shiny new stadium, bigger budget, better players and a real chance of success I'd be completely disinterested - that club would mean nothing to me. 

The only chance they'd have would be reclaiming the section of DABs (of which I know 3 personally) who turned their back on their dad and grandads team despite growing up at Dens in favour of Utd - these guys have turned coat once and would possibly do so again.

If my kids decided they wanted to go I'd encourage them to do so and in 30-40 years I'm sure there would be a massive support as Dundee is, similar to Glasgow but unlike Aberdeen and Edinburgh, a football city, but there would be decades of lean years before that happened - it's a no from me.

Dinnae want this topic going along the line of "An amalgamation of the Two Clubs" ....

So if that is what is coming over with the way I've portrayed/phrased it, please accept my genuine apologies.

To be totally honest, I was thinking Bubster, of them DOON the Road, basically fading awa to oblivion. GONE.

Either in an even lower division ... Or Just Gone :) The timing I referred to, was at it stands just now, we are

at the bottom & they are at the top. But we all know how quickly that can change. & WE ARE PREMIERSHIP :wub:

We are a one-club city Gedee!

Seriously though, Aberdeen is a good example of how being a one-club city doesn't really make much of a difference. Yes, we can argue they have done well in recent decades and may be considered 2nd best club in Scotland at the moment, but have they really done much more than - and I hate to say this - our neighbours?

Any kind of merger/acquisition or whatever would take a long time to be accepted. I'd happily take any spare balls, nets, light bulbs etc if they were going under, but nothing more.

So it's maybe a case of let them be what they want to be (strive or pretend to be) And quite rightly put our total focus on ourselves :wub:

Like the law of the jungle, the strongest will survive. And as the City Premiership Club, it is us that has the head start. We cannae slip.

So going back to that bit o' the topic ... "Could we given time expect to be a real threat in the Premiership? Have regular good winning

performances against the more elite clubs? And ever growing attendances" I'm possibly talking about in the far future Any responses?

2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

We are a one-club city Gedee!

Seriously though, Aberdeen is a good example of how being a one-club city doesn't really make much of a difference. Yes, we can argue they have done well in recent decades and may be considered 2nd best club in Scotland at the moment, but have they really done much more than - and I hate to say this - our neighbours?

Any kind of merger/acquisition or whatever would take a long time to be accepted. I'd happily take any spare balls, nets, light bulbs etc if they were going under, but nothing more.

Aberdeen have won 19 major honours so I would say yes they have done significantly more than Dundee & United. 

12 minutes ago, Count Duckula said:

Aberdeen have won 19 major honours so I would say yes they have done significantly more than Dundee & United. 

They have done very very little since the start of the SPL. Scottish League 1984/85, 32 years ago, Scottish Cup 1989-90 27 years ago, League Cup 2013-14. The problem is the way the system is set up and no amount of support for Aberdeen gets near the levels achieved by the OF. If you want to support winners watch one of the already big teams.

I don't think watching a team that you "support" via TV etc creates anywhere near the emotional involvement of going to a match where your team is playing, regardless of the standard of football. I may be completely wrong and watching football in a pub with your mates is an exciting way to watch football, that has not been my experience, and I may be missing out on something.

There's a obvious realisation, that as the Premiership becomes even tougher (or probably better to say the standard of clubs therein, keep striving to improve) if the best we can do is "stand still" then it it might be we are going nowhere ... Except doon that is :(

It's no' in my nature to be a Prophet of Gloom. In fact eh feel quite chuffed to be described as a "Happy Clapper" :)

But there apears to be Clubs in the Premiership, that are always one step ahead of us in the signing front (I am no thinking o thon ither lot, that seemed to have adopted a new poilicy of signing somebody new every week) :wacko: Jings how hard was it to get a decent goal grabber? Still time enough to get one ... And still plenty of time to be climbing up the table. But come on Dundee FC, please dinnae be caught napping.

It has been pointed out to me by others, that AFC have only recently became a Club of real talent & worth & there's some truth in that Count' But I think you are right to point out again, what can be done , if the real intent & ambition is there. OK, when would money no play a part in that equation? But who knows? THE MIGHTY dUNDEE  :wub:

This "one city club" has been discussed on this and other forums many times but  times change, and population counts increase or decrease depending on the city ( in Dundee's case decreasing)  In the late Fifties early Sixties I remember Hibs getting crowds as low as 3000 and Aberdeen weren't a lot better whilst we were averaging 12-14000 (rising to 17,000 when we won the league) but imo crowds increasing doesn't altogether go hand in hand with population size but with success. Some will argue that a one city club has more chance and of course Aberdeen's trophy haul is almost four times ours but although Edinburgh is huge in comparison to Dundee, Hibs were getting crowds of only 8000 or so four or five years ago but winning the cup has changed that to having a sell out crowd at Easter Road most weeks despite being in a two club city. It's  a bit "chicken and egg, of course but imo getting a successful side on the pitch is what increases crowds. Would A successful "Sporting Dundee" draw anymore than a successful Dundee or indeed United? Hmmm I'm really not sure about that one. One thing for sure is that if it happened tomorrow I would very unlikely be a supporter!  

2 hours ago, Count Duckula said:

Ten of the 19 were down to Aberdeen having arguably the greatest manager of all time. Before Fergie, Aberdeen were on a par with Dundee. Since Fergie left they have been on a par with United.

6 hours ago, Bubster said:

More of the same. I'm the medium term certainly.

A "hostile" takeover of either club by the other would see the vast proportion (90% plus) of the other sides fans completely walk away.

Youd have phoenix teams forming in the lowland/highland league or juniors etc.

A mutual takeover with completely new colours, name and ground would see the die hards walk away from both sides.

I support Dundee FC. I was brought up to support Dundee FC and we've been worse than Utd almost my whole lifetime. If I valued recent success over my own traditions I'd have converted to Utd years ago but I hate that club in an almost irrational way.

If Dundee FC were replaced by "Sporting Dundee" playing in any new colour combo at the "Tay Arena" albeit with a shiny new stadium, bigger budget, better players and a real chance of success I'd be completely disinterested - that club would mean nothing to me. 

The only chance they'd have would be reclaiming the section of DABs (of which I know 3 personally) who turned their back on their dad and grandads team despite growing up at Dens in favour of Utd - these guys have turned coat once and would possibly do so again.

If my kids decided they wanted to go I'd encourage them to do so and in 30-40 years I'm sure there would be a massive support as Dundee is, similar to Glasgow but unlike Aberdeen and Edinburgh, a football city, but there would be decades of lean years before that happened - it's a no from me.

Pretty much agree with this but if both clubs went under and a new "superclub" emerged to challenge the best of Scottish football I might be interested if there was not so much as a nod to Dundee United.

Thinking about it though, if they didn't play in dark blue that would be a problem. I'd probably be content following a new team in the Juniors set up by Dees.

Adblock Detected