Reporting Content. Read more... ×
The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Aftermath: Dundee 0 - 4 Celtic (Home, 20th Sept 2017)

Rate this topic

Dundee lose to Celtic in the Betfred Cup 4 - 0.

Celtic scored after Beaton judge Sinclair to have been fouled inside the box by Hendry. Sinclair converted from the spot.

Forrest made it two in the 42nd minute when he managed to get the ball past Bain from just inside the box.

McGregor made it third in the 88th minute after Beaton waved play on and El Bak gives the ball away.

Forrest gets his second in the 90th+1 when he shoots from inside the box under Bain who had no chance to save.

Dundee 0 - 4 Celtic.

Sorry state of affairs for the quarter final of the league cup. Didn't lay a glove on them on or off the park. Their fans and team had the freedom of Dens. Feel sorry for the two thousand and something Dees that were there tonight. Talk about short changed :sadno: 

• Love 1

Opened up late on whilst already under the cosh and conceded an extra two. Silly but it happens. 

Competitive in the first half, outplayed in the second. 

Hopefully McCann bemoans the disparity between the clubs wage bills and transfer fees and then calls for a wage cap to aid clubs being competitive in the competitions. :)

• Like 3

If we were a rugby team and only played 40 minutes each half we'd do pretty well. Late goals at the end of every half these days.

It was a lucrative tie for us and quite possibly allowed us to bring in AJ before the window shut so I'm not too disheartened.

What frustrates me is there were cups there to be won when Rangers were in the lower leagues and Celtic had that clown Deila in charge. Unfortunately it was Inverness, Hibs and County who took advantage. It's just too difficult for Dundee to win a major trophy right now but hopefully our time will come.

• Like 1

A bit soul destroying bit let's face it Celtic are far better than us. Cant see anybody beating them domestically anytime soon. The league is our priority and hopefully we can get a decent draw in the Scottish cup this year. 

Thought we were unlucky to go in 0-2 at half time. Second half think we gave up, let them play the ball about at the back without any real pressure. We should have pushed up goal difference does not matter in a cup tie. I do not believe O'hara is up to the standard, El Bak had a shocker too. kamara Holt and Hendry were good. 4-0 flattered them they are not that good, better than us though. I was singing PSG, PSG, PSG though here on my couch!! The gap is huge but the money gap is bigger. You truly can buy cups and leagues in Scotland

Edited by GordonDee

Why can't we just defend professionally and concentrate for 90 mins. Completely criminal. Still have a crap defence. Should not be giving Celtic 4 goals! They are not that good...

Not too surprising really, Celtic are streets ahead of Scottish clubs at the moment. Lack of shots on target is disappointing and the one clear cut chance we had was a shocking miss.  I fear that the young lad is just not good enough for this league, Score that and it's a different game. Still heads up for a very important game at the weekend. 

Just now, eyeothedug said:

Why can't we just defend professionally and concentrate for 90 mins. It is all the players have to focus on. Completely criminal. Still have a crap defence. Should not be giving Celtic 4 goals! They are not that good...

Celtic hardly broke sweat and outclassed us...At least we tried hard. Thought that  Holt did well.

The most embarrassed I've felt at one of our games for as long as I can remember(wasn't at the 2-6 dab game). I went along under the impression we were going to have a go?  

First post on here.

Poor showing tonight but wasn't expecting too much. Thought O'Hara never stopped and chased everything. As bad as El Bak was, personally thought he was the only player wanting to take someone on, it just never happened. Don't think we can be too down about it and need to make it right on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

Bit a 'meh' game. Thought they were ok, and we were poor. Gulf in class showed. Hendry had a good game, midfield needs to be stronger. El Bak had a poor game. Massive game against Killie on Saturday now though! 

1 minute ago, smitch0610 said:

First post on here.

Don't think we can be too down about it... 

You'll struggle on here bud. 

• Funny 4

Just now, smitch0610 said:

First post on here.

Poor showing tonight but wasn't expecting too much. Thought O'Hara never stopped and chased everything. As bad as El Bak was, personally thought he was the only player wanting to take someone on, it just never happened. Don't think we can be too down about it and need to make it right on Saturday.

Balanced view...don't think O'Hara should have played. Think he is a squad player at best. Otherwise, we simply still have  very poor defence who can't concentrate for 90 mins.

Only saw the second half. What a bore. Pathetic effort by us, training game for them, probably easier than a training game. Awful.

I don't understand why we can't physically get closer to Celtic, why sit off them and allow them to stroke the ball about? 

Just now, GregTeamDee said:

Bit a 'meh' game. Thought they were ok, and we were poor. Gulf in class showed. Hendry had a good game, midfield needs to be stronger. El Bak had a poor game. Massive game against Killie on Saturday now though! 

I think the midfield is strong with Kamara and Spence. Defence is the issue.

16 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

Why can't we just defend professionally and concentrate for 90 mins. Completely criminal. Still have a crap defence. Should not be giving Celtic 4 goals! They are not that good...

They've not lost a domestic game in Scotland for 56 matches and have a wage bill about 14 times ours. They are pretty good. 

Thought we did ok first half and were unlucky to go in at half time 2-0 down. If AJ or El Bak had done better with the chances that came their way we might have seen a different game. Second half they controlled with ease and you could see how big the gulf is.

Never happy to get beat but not too disheartened about what it means for the rest of the season.

Just now, UoDee said:

They've not lost a domestic game in Scotland for 56 matches and have a wage bill about 14 times ours. They are pretty good. 

Thought we did ok first half and were unlucky to go in at half time 2-0 down. If AJ or El Bak had done better with the chances that came their way we might have seen a different game. Second half they controlled with ease and you could see how big the gulf is.

Never happy to get beat but not too disheartened about what it means for the rest of the season.

If they are that good PSG wouldn't have cuffed them 5-0...Money aside.

Still think we can defend a lot better... 90 mins of concentration required. Celtic aren't that good.

Edited by eyeothedug

29 minutes ago, eyeothedug said:

Maybe not that good but miles better than any team in Scotland

Best forgetting it ever happened ...a total non event

Celtic are a good team..but hoped wed  give them more problems than we did..boring stuff

Thought Kerr was quite poor again, though admit he was isolated at times.

ElBak just doesn't do it for me, not sure how many guilt edge chances a player can miss until people realise this level is too high for him.

Bain aswell, I thought he was quite slow to react to their goals?

Pass Marks - Hendry, Holt, Spence, Kamara, Ohara.

Positivity... Onwards to Saturday, always a good away day with 3 big points up for grabs and a tasty peh!

Played ok first half but were very poor second. 

Kamara and holt best for us.