Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Is Celtic 's Total Domination Ruining Scottish Football?

TrueBlue62

Total lack of atmosphere at Dens last night. Think those Dees that did go anticipated exactly how things were going to be, little hope/expectation of getting any kind of result. The vast gulf between Celtic & the rest removes all competitive edge to these games as we wait for the inevitable. This as much as the cost probably explained the low attendance. What if anything can be done?

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Celtic are in a one club mini league in the SPL and it is to the detriment to the rest of Scottish football. 

As an contest, matches between Dundee and Celtic are a massive turn off and definitely influenced to poor home support last night. 

i really don’t know what can be done to address the problem....I suspect nothing at all. Their turnover is probably greater that the other 11 SPL teams combined and even Rangers can’t come close to them.

One thing is certain.....it is a very unhealthy situation.

Some wise words below from Alex Massie in the Scotsman a couple of years ago. It will take something of this magnitude to see the Scottish game thrive domestically again. 

Healthy markets require competition. Judged by that standard, Scottish football has been sick for years. A duopoly might be marginally better than a monopoly but it’s still unhealthy. Within its own sphere, Rangers’ collapse was just as great – and as significant – as that of RBS. Like Fred Goodwin’s show, Rangers succumbed to hubristic folly. 

Falling attendances tell their own story. It is nearly 30 years since someone other than Celtic or Rangers won the Scottish championship. Scottish football might “need” a revived Rangers but it needs much more than that alone. Who can truly be interested in a league in which the eventual result is known before a ball is kicked?

A gap between the haves and the have-nots in English football still exists but even the poorest members of the league can field a useful side for £100m. Even new entrants have a chance. Thanks to Sky and BT Sport, there has been a levelling-up in England.

By contrast, Scotland would need a levelling-down if something like an equal playing-field were to be created. American sport understands that, in the long-term, the strongest are weakened unless the weak are stronger. That is, it is in everyone’s interests that as many franchises as possible have a shot at success. The New York Yankees will always, thanks to their financial muscle, enjoy an advantage but smaller-market teams in places such as Milwaukee and Pittsburgh need to be more than mere cannon fodder if the league is to thrive and public interest be maintained. In the longer-run, everyone benefits. 

Accordingly, US sport – run as a series of cartels – eschews the ruthlessness of European soccer. Revenue-sharing, scary caps and a player draft gives smaller-market teams at least the notional chance of competing with their larger, wealthier competitors. Scottish football probably needs something similar. Not just the pooling of meagre TV revenues but a wider redistribution of the sport’s income. 

The days when the best Scottish clubs could challenge the top English teams are gone and never likely to return. But interest in the domestic game can still be revived if, that is, the product is made more appealing. That means the rich helping the poor and recognising that doing so is an act of enlightened self-interest. It means fostering – and regulating – a real sense of competition. If that were to happen, broadcasters might once again see Scottish football as an attractive investment. Which in turn would help raise standards.

Most markets, even free ones, are still usually regulated. But efficient markets offer something to all parties in a transaction. Judged on this basis, English football shows what the market can achieve even as Scottish football demonstrates what happens when markets are so lopsided consumers begin to appreciate that the game is rigged. The lessons of this, it should be obvious, go some way beyond the football field.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hen Broon said:

I think the simple answer is yes.

Naively, I was looking forward to last night's game, but that enthusiasm was quickly kicked out of me. 

It's dull as sh*t, and it's an increasingly worrying situation.

I think it was a common feeling in the ground.  Anticipation at kick off to a stark realisation after 10 minutes maybe that it was only a matter of time.

Scottish football died years ago because of the old firm, they have had more money than everybody for the past 30years and teams like ourselves have strived to be like them and buy success but it just ends in administration. I very much doubt that I will personally see anyone other than Celtic or Rangers win the league here unless they leave. 

I never understand why chairmen are so against the both of them f**king off.. surely going into every season with a realistic chance of winning the league or cup would have fans coming back and higher attendances...look at the Dumbarton game when we were on the verge of winning something ...the fans are there but we just need a competitive league to get them attending regularly

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, charliedee said:

I never understand why chairmen are so against the both of them f**king off.. surely going into every season with a realistic chance of winning the league or cup would have fans coming back and higher attendances...look at the Dumbarton game when we were on the verge of winning something ...the fans are there but we just need a competitive league to get them attending regularly

Exactly this.

last night was the first that I really thought we had no chance....if you wan a league that is competitive you need to share the dosh.. that ain't gonna happen the hilarious part is when the green and grey hit Europe they are struck by the same issue.. long gone are the days when us.. or the f**kers next door ever have the chance to compete in Europe...I live miles away, but I know, that if I lived in Dundee I'd go to all the games.. but I totally understand why people don't go.. money.. and the realisation.. everyone apart from the gruesome twosome.. ( the huns will eventually get back there) have no chance.. no point..either the OF need to f**k off.. or the finance need to be shared..why should we all just turn up for nothing?

Adblock Detected