The Dark Blues Dundee Football Club Unofficial Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Budgem

Strachan Gone

Edin_Dee    274
Edin_Dee

By mutual consent. To be expected and I think right decision after two failed campaigns. The difficult decision now and probably my biggest reservation about sacking Strachan is who to replace him?

Unless we tempt Alex Ferguson out of retirement I don't think there is any candidates who won't split the support. Moyes, Lambert, Malky Mackay, Michael O'Neill, Alex Neil, Alex Mcleish are the names I can think of. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a foreigner with no connection to Scotland though.

Cobra    3,041
Cobra

The right decision. When you think that he had the nucleus of a highly motivated and successful Celtic side and squandered it, the guy had to go.

The disastrous home draw to Lithuania featured no Celtic players in the starting line-up. When we humped them 3-0 in Vilnius we had six Celtic players starting. Pity it took him so long to play his best team.

Dondeh    259
Dondeh

McGhee away as well. Good news all round .

Moyes, Lambert, McLeish ....... who's next for a turn?. Alex Smith , Malkay McKay ?. 

Edited by Dondeh

GregTeamDee    219
GregTeamDee

McGhee away is a blessing. Next Regan and Doncaster have to leave. Clean sweep !

Take our time on our next appointment. Don't go for the old boys network 

• Like 2

Dondeh    259
Dondeh
12 minutes ago, GregTeamDee said:

McGhee away is a blessing. Next Regan and Doncaster have to leave. Clean sweep !

Take our time on our next appointment. Don't go for the old boys network 

Agree wholeheartedly . Especially  the Regan and Doncaster bit. 

CJ45    128
CJ45

Id go for Lambert of the names being mentioned..heard him on radio scotland a few months ago talking about Scottish football., he talked a lot of sense...though cant remember now what he was saying .

dblair    698
dblair
23 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

Part one complete. McInnes in please..

I see where your coming  from mate but I really can’t see it happening. I’m pretty sure once his spell at Aberdeen comes to an end (and I’m sure it will) he will have aspirations of moving to a bigger club. 

Boba Fett    2,513
Boba Fett
Just now, dblair said:

I see where your coming  from mate but I really can’t see it happening. I’m pretty sure once his spell at Aberdeen comes to an end (and I’m sure it will) he will have aspirations of moving to a bigger club. 

I don’t think he’d turn down the opportunity to manage Scotland.. 

dblair    698
dblair
6 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

E07BF266-0F2A-42E0-8AEB-A27634131C01.jpg

😥 would honestly only be happy with McInnes or O’neil from that list. At a pish Lambert. Think we may see another foreign name in

dblair    698
dblair
11 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

I don’t think he’d turn down the opportunity to manage Scotland.. 

Hope your right 

Boba Fett    2,513
Boba Fett
7 minutes ago, dblair said:

😥 would honestly only be happy with McInnes or O’neil from that list. At a pish Lambert. Think we may see another foreign name in

If we get a Moyes, a McLeish or a Lambert then the big wigs at Hampden have truly lost it.

We need a completely new direction and new energy.

McInnes 

• Like 2

Cobra    3,041
Cobra

McInnes never played a competitive fixture for his country. I'd be a little concerned that he wouldn't command the instant respect of the dressing room. It shouldn't matter but I suspect it probably does.

Chris Coleman and Michael O'Neill both have 30+ caps and they can relate to the players in terms of what it's like to deal with the expectation and pressure that comes with trying to get to major tournaments.

BCram    425
BCram

31 minutes ago, Cobra said:

McInnes never played a competitive fixture for his country. I'd be a little concerned that he wouldn't command the instant respect of the dressing room. It shouldn't matter but I suspect it probably does.

Chris Coleman and Michael O'Neill both have 30+ caps and they can relate to the players in terms of what it's like to deal with the expectation and pressure that comes with trying to get to major tournaments.

There is a grain of truth in this. IMO, we should be looking at managers who have a track record in getting their teams into international competitions. Obviously there isn't a Scot who has this type of qualification. A decent pedigree with a foreign coach should be better than a Scottish coach who is likely to be unable to command the respect of the dressing room or the respect of the Tartan Army. It might cost more money but the cost of failure is clear to see.

Dundeefc1783    490
Dundeefc1783
59 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

E07BF266-0F2A-42E0-8AEB-A27634131C01.jpg

It probably, actually it definitely wouldn't be popular but from that list Sam Allardyce is the most interesting for me. He may not be the popular choice especially after his last stint in international management but he has a proven track record of getting results and having teams punch above their weight. Would far rather him than the likes of moyes, lambert or Mcleish. Alex Mcleish can barely string a sentence together these days. 

Boba Fett    2,513
Boba Fett
49 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Michael O’Neill would be an interesting appointment. I’d much prefer him to McLeish, Lambert or Moyes.

My first choice remains Derek McInnes..

Dundeefc1783    490
Dundeefc1783
12 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

Michael O’Neill would be an interesting appointment. I’d much prefer him to McLeish, Lambert or Moyes.

Lives in Edinburgh as well. Him or big Sam for me. 

Cobra    3,041
Cobra
35 minutes ago, BCram said:

There is a grain of truth in this. IMO, we should be looking at managers who have a track record in getting their teams into international competitions. Obviously there isn't a Scot who has this type of qualification. A decent pedigree with a foreign coach should be better than a Scottish coach who is likely to be unable to command the respect of the dressing room or the respect of the Tartan Army. It might cost more money but the cost of failure is clear to see.

I'm not a fan of foreign managers for the national job. Scotland are always going to be limited technically and calling on patriotic pride is always likely to be a factor in any future success so a rousing pre-match speech from an Englishman or a German is probably not going to have the desired impact.

21 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

I rate McInnes highly but if egos in the dressing room ask themselves "what has this guy done as a player or manager to demand my respect?" there might be an issue.

To be honest though I can't see a better option. Fergie coming out of retirement to take us to the Euros sounds appealing but I don't think he'd be interested.

BCram    425
BCram

Fair point about the national element in football. I was thinking of the example of Vern Cotton with the Scottish rugby team. He was more respected than any of the Scottish players and he was able to build a team. 

• Like 1

Dundeefc1783    490
Dundeefc1783
5 hours ago, Cobra said:

I'm not a fan of foreign managers for the national job. Scotland are always going to be limited technically and calling on patriotic pride is always likely to be a factor in any future success so a rousing pre-match speech from an Englishman or a German is probably not going to have the desired impact.

Well it's no done us any good the last 15 year or so has it. Maybe we need to change tact and employ a competent manager who can organise a team and not have to rely on patriotic bullshit. We have players who should be able to qualify for a tournament now and again.

If that man happens to not be from these shores then I'm fine with that. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this