Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Jack Hendry

3 minutes ago, Attilio said:

What is 'top dollar' though HK?  I don't want to start talking the guy and his value down when the club are (rightly) talking these things up but what would be top dollar for a guy that's really only played half a season?

The thing with coming out with this '£1.5m' is that a lot of folk will buy in to it, so if he goes for less than that the accusations of selling him on the cheap will start.  What's the recent precedent for players in his position and age?  Liam Lindsay went to Barnsley from Partick for a lot less than £1.5m, is 22 years old and was/is a player full of potential.  Hope Partick have a sell on clause in place because he was being rumoured with a move to the EPL just before Xmas.  If JH does go, chances are it will 'Undisclosed Fee' and then the frothing at the mouth will start along with complete guesses on what the transfer fee actually was.

I get your point but I do think it is probably true that Scottish teams always value their players much less than they should. The resulting chaos when they do leave pretty much always goes into 7 figures and the first attempt to rectify the loss with a signing very rarely works out.

I'm in the camp that anything below 7 figures + clauses is quite disappointing. I don't really see a comfortable profit margin for the club with anything below that when you look at the sort of risk involved and how we could be a couple of league places worse off. It's pretty difficult to quantify how severe relegation is and how much money the club is starved of but you can argue that even a couple of years down could take it comfortably past £10 million considering the reduced fan base and failure to sign talent.

Thistle and maybe even Motherwell could have massive regrets six months down the line.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I wouldn't be critical of the club if they did sell a player for £750k that we picked up for nothing six months ago. If the board genuinely believe that's the best they can get then fair enough. It's a decent sum of money for a club of our size. They'll know more than us what is realistic.

It would just be nice if a Dundee player started a bidding war and saw him leave for an inflated fee for once.

I remember Blackburn paying £2m-£3m for Goodwillie and saying they'd signed the new Wayne Rooney. There are irresponsible chairmen out there with money to burn so we should maybe wait and see what happens before rushing to sell.

1 hour ago, Attilio said:

What is 'top dollar' though HK?  I don't want to start talking the guy and his value down when the club are (rightly) talking these things up but what would be top dollar for a guy that's really only played half a season?

The thing with coming out with this '£1.5m' is that a lot of folk will buy in to it, so if he goes for less than that the accusations of selling him on the cheap will start.  What's the recent precedent for players in his position and age?  Liam Lindsay went to Barnsley from Partick for a lot less than £1.5m, is 22 years old and was/is a player full of potential.  Hope Partick have a sell on clause in place because he was being rumoured with a move to the EPL just before Xmas.  If JH does go, chances are it will 'Undisclosed Fee' and then the frothing at the mouth will start along with complete guesses on what the transfer fee actually was.

Hendry has 18 months to go on his contract, so the Club is under no pressure to sell him at all, and certainly not for a bargain price. I'm certain NM sees Hendry developing into a better & more influential player over this season, and into the next.

If NM & Nelms keep repeating the £1.5m (or any other higher) fee, English clubs will get used to that & if their scouts are any good, they'll be able to see Hendry is getting better almost week-by-week.

From a commercial perspective, the Club are in the strong position, for a change, not the bidders.....and Nelms needs to 'play hardball' with this one, and hold out for the highest fee he can get at the end of this season, and for a 10% sell-on in the deal....something we never seem to manage to include.

From a football perspective, NM & JN will know we would be seriously weakening our defence for the remainder of this season, and probably increasing our risk of relegation, if they agree to let Hendry go now, when we simply don't need to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

Hendry has 18 months to go on his contract, so the Club is under no pressure to sell him at all, and certainly not for a bargain price. I'm certain NM sees Hendry developing into a better & more influential player over this season, and into the next.

If NM & Nelms keep repeating the £1.5m (or any other higher) fee, English clubs will get used to that & if their scouts are any good, they'll be able to see Hendry is getting better almost week-by-week.

From a commercial perspective, the Club are in the strong position, for a change, not the bidders.....and Nelms needs to 'play hardball' with this one, and hold out for the highest fee he can get at the end of this season, and for a 10% sell-on in the deal....something we never seem to manage to include.

From a football perspective, NM & JN will know we would be seriously weakening our defence for the remainder of this season, and probably increasing our risk of relegation, if they agree to let Hendry go now, when we simply don't need to. 

Good post. I'm also conscious of McCann's comments over the week where he also intimated that any fee would have to reflect Dundee taking a risk on Jack, improving him etc etc. I think it's great that Bournemouth is apparently interested. Can only raise the price. Interesting few days ahead. 

57 minutes ago, EastLothianBlue said:

Good post. I'm also conscious of McCann's comments over the week where he also intimated that any fee would have to reflect Dundee taking a risk on Jack, improving him etc etc. I think it's great that Bournemouth is apparently interested. Can only raise the price. Interesting few days ahead. 

The Daily Star suggesting Bournemouth preparing a £1m bid but are not prepared to go to £1.5m. As you say, can only help raise the price. 

1 hour ago, HIHO said:

The Daily Star suggesting Bournemouth preparing a £1m bid but are not prepared to go to £1.5m. As you say, can only help raise the price. 

Would be very surprised if we turned down a £1m bid but also equally impressed at the boards ambition and nerve if they did, providing the club aren't in any immediate fiancial trouble with the big 6 figure losses we seem to rack up every single year.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16

12 hours ago, BCram said:

Think we should be saying he is not for sale. Why is it sensible to go down the route that has previously helped other clubs to get relegated? we haven't got a free scoring attack so our only hope is a strong defence. we must be mad to be putting any figure on Hendry, IMO.

I get your point - but in reality he is for sale.  We have to be both realistic and pragmatic, and perhaps McCann thinks nobody will offer 1.5 million anyway?

11 hours ago, Attilio said:

I hear you Attilio.  

I'll take the easy way out and say top dollar is the most anybody is willing to pay.  We set a figure in our mind, and see if a bid comes close enough - if not we walk away.

Adblock Detected