Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Jimmy Boyle. Good Article

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
3 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

I would agree that he should stay doing what he is doing. Dundee should secure his future though. That would be a good investment. 

Agree, should have him on a longer contract.  Love to see Dundee have a first class youth academy :)  

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

When we appointed Boyle, I had a wee look at the Airdrie forum to see what they made of him as a manager for the three years or so there. The consensus was that he was a brilliant head of youth who brought through many gems (Tony Watt, Liam Coogans and helping resurrect GMS career) but the job of manager was thrown at him at a time when the club were in turmoil and it wasn't something that he seemed particularly happy doing. It was tough going with their situation but he was regarded as quite a poor manager.

I think it's best to just leave the guy doing what he knows he's good at and give him as much as we can reasonably commit in terms of providing good job security and being able to do his job. I think, with the youth side, there needs to be the aim of having the same people involved long-term and consistency.

I agree, Harry....everything he's said indicates a guy who's found a role in which he's ideally suited & can be successful in 'transferring' that to the same role with other clubs. I'm sure that if Boyle has an interest in managing again, he'd mention it in discussions with his boss at Dens, and his agent.

Some guys are very, very good at what they do, and are comfortable & satisfied with the skills & challenges, and rewards, of that role....but when offered the chance of an 'internal promotion', they may no longer enjoy it, whether due to different pressures, new skills to be developed, etc. Archie Knox was a good example, and he decided to return to 'assistant' role, where someone else took the pressure & made the decisions. 

A lot of good guys have wrecked good careers by being persuaded to take that extra step up. Classic 'Peter principle'...."in a hierarchy, people tend to be promoted to a level which is one beyond their level of competence".

Not all sergeants make good captains. 

[ps....I don't know military hierarchy at all, in case that bit isn't a realistic 'step up']

Edited by WoodStein

18 hours ago, dfcman said:

To me this is what its all about-bringing on young and developing players.Funding of this is vital and easily overlooked but the only way ahead is to provide funding and with good player selection and coaching we have the chance of bringing on a stream of talent of SPL quality.There is huge potential in the squad and I look forward with much anticipation to them getting established

i think if some of them were at another club ie hearts theyd already be established .. mcann doest have the faith boyle has and lacks bottle when it comes to dropping senior regulars 4 kids

7 hours ago, Only me said:

i think if some of them were at another club ie hearts theyd already be established .. mcann doest have the faith boyle has and lacks bottle when it comes to dropping senior regulars 4 kids

The problem is our senior players aren't delivering, they need to concentrate and improve their own games first

If ODea was playing well it would be easier to slot Waddell in beside him and let ODea talk him through the game, same with McGowan, he would be able to talk Curran through the game

I've picked ODea and McGowan as examples because they are both senior players and captain material, not to have a go at them

We may see more of the youth team in the league stages of  the league cup next season, then nurture them into the first team rather than heap unrealistic expectations on them and watch the go from Dundee to Montrose then onto Junior football

33 minutes ago, Only me said:

so you think players like rashford should of been held back more ?

I think Rashford is being nurtured along to make sure he isn't the next Macheda/Obertan and that's why he doesn't start every game for Man United

If we had a Rashford he would be here for half a season before being poached by Celtic

Adblock Detected