Sign in to follow this  
Gedee

Would The Return Of Recognised Proven Goal Scorers, Bring Back The Missing Dundee Fans?

Gedee    1,694
Gedee

This I understand is no more than a dip into Fantasy Land...(I know because I go there quite often) :wacko:

But if it does no more than make others think (preferably the BOD) & creates some discussion, well it

may have some value. We all know DFC do NOT have a Big Treasure Chest & even if they had, we also

know, the present investors (who are generally doing a good job) are experienced & professional. Also

prudent in all matters pertaining to business (although I am not sure what there idea was behind their

decision to stick another price on "special" premium games. In doing that, it seems they managed to

further distance themselves from even the hardest core of loyal DFC fans. "Lose-lose situation for all"

OK, noo back to Dreamland...Imagine, John Nelms, making a statement along the lines of ... "Although

it is still, most definitely in our plans to make the "Campie Complex" something really special for DFC,

& the Supporters, as well as the City of Dundee, we feel now is the time to further invest in DFC Players.

We are happy to announce, we have been in discussion with top quality players of recognised, proven,

goal -scoring ability, who have decided the wish to join DFC in the Premiership in coming NEW season.

It is our hope & our intention that you will show your support. And together we will make it to TOP SIX

Players who will be joining us for next season, you may already know...Griffiths, Hemmings, Stewart" :drool:

WOULD THAT KIND OF ANNOUNCEMENT ENCOURAGE YOU (& others) TO BUY A SEASON TICKET?:chaplin:

Please Consider Donating

To keep The Dark Blues running, this costs us a lot of time, effort and money. We would rather rely on your help and generosity than go down the road of having big ugly banners and advertisements all over the website. Your donations should help us keep it that way.

Please consider making a donation as this will ensure this website remains an ad free zone. We will only use your donations to cover our server and software fees. Thanks in advance!

Densparker    105
Densparker

I can't see Gillie lasting 90mins.

• Funny 1

Billy Campbell's Ghost    727
Billy Campbell's Ghost
56 minutes ago, Ranking Roger said:

Bring back King Billy.

I am here in spirit.  Yes of course tha5 would excite but its not easy to find or we would have done it already?

AJ may not be the answer but there are gems down these leagues. Its contacts and contacts and thoroigh knowledge we need with perhaps volunteer scouts in every English region, maybe exiled fans with football knowledge, who can then be rewarded if some one signs. Paid expenses of course to attend games. Fantasy land? I dunno, maybe.

• Like 2

Billy Campbell's Ghost    727
Billy Campbell's Ghost

In fact lets be revolutionary...there are fans on here and in the wider support with great knowledge of business, finance, sales, marketing, promotions, media, comms, etc, etc.

Why not tap that knowledge with an official club Suggestion Scheme, many companies have them, where any great idea that is implemented that actually helps the club in any way, e.g. increased sales, revenue, media coverage,  new signing, whatever, can be rewarded.

It could be done via drop down menus with a free text box for the actual suggestion with a limit on words so it is succinct. Any ones with merit could then be develoed by the club and the original suggester.

Too radical?

Edited by Billy Campbell's Ghost
  • Like 2

Gedee    1,694
Gedee
25 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Fantasy land? I dunno, maybe.

Or maybe not BCG ... Certainly putting one's head in the sand & popping up at this stage of the season (when we don't even know what league we will be in next season) to announce some uninspired ideas on the pricing front, is NOT in my opinion any solution to dwindling  crowd support.

Thank you for your thoughtful,imaginative response freend.

The names I mentioned above, I am aware are not realistic (& were added to draw out some sensible responses/ideas) and your suggestion is certainly another one to put on the table, that may provide the answer to enthuse, or at least reassure the DFC fans once more.

The question still remains ... Would "Big Names" help bring back DFC missing fans/supporters.

WOULD YOU COMMIT YOURSELF,TO GOING TO MORE GAMES IF YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING

TO SEE PLAYERS LIKE THOSE IN THE OPENING TOPIC PLAYING IN THE DARK BLUE AGAIN:chaplin:

Gedee    1,694
Gedee
10 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

In fact lets be revolutionary...there are fans on here and in the wider support with great knowledge of business, finance, sales, marketing, promotions, media, comms, etc, etc.

Why not tap that knowledge with an official club Suggestion Scheme, many companies have them, where any great idea that is implemented that actually helps the club in any way, e.g. increased sales, revenue, media coverage,  new signing, whatever, can be rewarded.

It could be done via drop down menus with a free text box for the actual suggestion with a limit on words so it is succinct. Any ones with merit could then be develoed by the club and the original suggester.

Too radical?

Hello again BCG ... I've added anither LIKE to your most recent post, because I feel you've got your "positive thinking cap" on today.

Whether there will ever be any reaction from the BOD of course is another matter. But although I've cut back on posting this week,

(because of my feelings of negativity) maybe some of yir own (& others) positive thoughts will bring back more optimistic feelings.

A guid result against St J. will be a big step towards removing fears of relegation. Premiership next season wi awe guns blazing:chaplin:

chomp my root    2,620
chomp my root
26 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Too radical?

There's potential in that I think mate although I wouldn't want to be the poor git who has to wade through all the keech to find a golden nugget. :lol:

islaydarkblue    461
islaydarkblue
2 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Too radical?

We used to have a Staff suggestion scheme when I worked in the Bank of Scotland and staff received a payment if their suggestion was deemed to be good idea which would save time and/or money.

The management at Dens could do likewise with a free season ticket for suggestions that increased sales and income or free hospitality for two people at a home game of their choosing depending on how much extra money the club would likely raise in a season.

There is a well known saying “if you don’t ask you don’t get”.

HK Blues    727
HK Blues
28 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

We used to have a Staff suggestion scheme when I worked in the Bank of Scotland and staff received a payment if their suggestion was deemed to be good idea which would save time and/or money.

I guess the best suggestion was to put you in charge of stationery supplies, Islay! 

• Funny 1

EuanG    36
EuanG

Not sure a goal scorer would bring the fans back. My fear is that the actual fan base is so old that they might never get back. We need to get new fans. I think the last 20 years the new fans have gone to the more successful team across the road. When I  go to Dens the majority seem to be my age in late 50's early 60's. What we need is a winning team and it does not matter how we get there. It's not an easy thing to resolve. 

WoodStein    1,292
WoodStein

I think the short answer to GeDee's topic question is "yes, but only if they score on a weekly basis, and from open play"  :chin:

UWTB1893    379
UWTB1893

What's a proven goal scorer? You might need to refresh my mind :(

Dee_Dee    170
Dee_Dee

If we had a proven regular scorer this season, we could have been further up the league even with the rest of the team we currently have.

Fans will turn out if their team is winning on a regular basis (Kilmarnock) especially at home.

Its good to win away, but only a tiny percentage of the fan base witness away wins, home wins and a decent home record are, by far, the most important way to keep the punters happy.

To me, this is the biggest reason our fans have become unhappy at Dens, we have had a pretty crap home record, especially against fellow strugglers in recent years, if we could have turned more of those games into victories, irrespective of the style of play, we’d have a lot happier fan base more willing to buy season tickets.

I wouldn’t care if we played ugly football and won 1-0 most weeks, and I doubt many would put pretty football above results in their priorities.

So yes, if a proven striker could win us a lot more home matches, I think the crowds would go up and folk would feel the admittance a bit more worth the money

islaydarkblue    461
islaydarkblue
3 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I guess the best suggestion was to put you in charge of stationery supplies, Islay! 

I was asked to be in charge of stationery supplies and I was happy to oblige.

Harold Finch    342
Harold Finch

That could be our Famous Frontline Four.........Stewart, Hemmings, Griffiths................and Moussa :D

islaydarkblue    461
islaydarkblue
15 minutes ago, Dee_Dee said:

If we had a proven regular scorer this season, we could have been further up the league even with the rest of the team we currently have.

Fans will turn out if their team is winning on a regular basis (Kilmarnock) especially at home.

Its good to win away, but only a tiny percentage of the fan base witness away wins, home wins and a decent home record are, by far, the most important way to keep the punters happy.

To me, this is the biggest reason our fans have become unhappy at Dens, we have had a pretty crap home record, especially against fellow strugglers in recent years, if we could have turned more of those games into victories, irrespective of the style of play, we’d have a lot happier fan base more willing to buy season tickets.

I wouldn’t care if we played ugly football and won 1-0 most weeks, and I doubt many would put pretty football above results in their priorities.

So yes, if a proven striker could win us a lot more home matches, I think the crowds would go up and folk would feel the admittance a bit more worth the money

Back in the late 1960’s and early 70’s Dens was a fortress and my memory I think that we were not defeated at home in the league for over a year. 

In my opinion if we were playing the Championship and regularly winning at home then our average home support would be higher than it is a present. Nobody wants to go to Dens to see us rarely winning as it becomes depressing and fans vote with their feet.

• Like 1

Harold Finch    342
Harold Finch

If we're pushing the boat out money wise I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Michael McGovern, Ryan Gauld and maybe a loan deal for Jonny Hayes

Gedee    1,694
Gedee
Just now, Harold Finch said:

That could be our Famous Frontline Four.........Stewart, Hemmings, Griffiths................and Moussa :D

Harold eh think you are on the right track, but we've got to find a way for Wighton ... So sorry Moussa.

And if that front line cannae score goals & bring back this "missing" thoosand, it's time to gie up:chaplin:

• Like 1

EastLothianBlue    833
EastLothianBlue

Gedee...you lost me mate with the title...Goalscorers? 

I'd be happy with one! 

• Funny 1

Parcbara    149
Parcbara
On 16/04/2018 at 18:47, islaydarkblue said:

. Nobody wants to go to Dens to see us rarely winning as it becomes depressing and fans vote with their feet.

Agree with this. Our home form has affected our gates and unless there is a marked change of personnel, our season ticket sales will be poor. Only the regulars, of which I am one, will buy one, out of habit rather than by choice. The product has been sh!te this year again.

islaydarkblue    461
islaydarkblue
24 minutes ago, Parcbara said:

Agree with this. Our home form has affected our gates and unless there is a marked change of personnel, our season ticket sales will be poor. Only the regulars, of which I am one, will buy one, out of habit rather than by choice. The product has been sh!te this year again.

I remember speaking to a Dundee supporter in the Main Stand at the first home game of the Club 12 season. He told me that he would have preferred that we had remained in the Championship as he enjoyed seeing us win games and score goals rather than getting beaten at home and scoring few goals.

It is a well known fact that supporters will always turn out to watch their team if they are winning but if they are continually losing the numbers will fall.

This season our standard of play has been poor whilst we have also thrown away points.

I would rather see us losing 3-2 than 1-0 as I would have seen us score two goals which gives me hope for the next game. This season the talk before the game at Dens has been where are we going to get a goal and if the opposition scores first then we will probably lose yet another game.