The Dark Blues
JimM

Whats Needed for Next Season

JimM

Just to get peoples thoughts.

I think we need players from back to front

A keeper, a center back,two backs,three midfield and four up front-one a wide player.

Thats a minimum to me.

Please Consider Donating

To keep The Dark Blues running, this costs us a lot of time, effort and money. We would rather rely on your help and generosity than go down the road of having big ugly banners and advertisements all over the website. Your donations should help us keep it that way.

Please consider making a donation as this will ensure this website remains an ad free zone. We will only use your donations to cover our server and software fees. Thanks in advance!

DFC1974

I’m happy to continue with Parrish in goals. Assuming we keep Kamara and Caulker (until we hear otherwise), I think we only need a proven goal scorer and a goal scoring creative midfielder. Happy to keep Spanish Jon if Holt moves on. 

Even though the season was disappointing for the majority, I think we were only a couple of good players away from being an excellent side. 

If Kamara and/or Caulker move on then I think this is where McCann will have some hard work to do. 

• Like 1

Spiritof62

The first thing we need is an examination of what went wrong this season, tactics and players.

Then we need to sign players that are equipped to succeed in this division.

A wide man with pace who can get a few goals.

A striker that can get at least 15 goals. ( difficult I know)

Midfielders with drive, tackling ability and can add a few goals.

Defenders who are first and foremost able to defend before they think of bombing forward.

I think NM has learned a lot this season and I'm pretty confident we will do well if he gets his signings right.

• Like 1

Ricky Spanish
15 minutes ago, JimM said:

Just to get peoples thoughts.

I think we need players from back to front

A keeper, a center back,two backs,three midfield and four up front-one a wide player.

Thats a minimum to me.

11 new players then? Ideally we don't want to be making wholesale changes again, consistency and continuity is key in this division. We've operated a revolving doors system ever since we came up and basically starting from scratch and trying to gel a squad quickly year on year is hurting us.

• Like 3

Attilio
17 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

The first thing we need is an examination of what went wrong this season, tactics and players.

Then we need to sign players that are equipped to succeed in this division.

A wide man with pace who can get a few goals.

A striker that can get at least 15 goals. ( difficult I know)

Midfielders with drive, tackling ability and can add a few goals.

Defenders who are first and foremost able to defend before they think of bombing forward.

I think NM has learned a lot this season and I'm pretty confident we will do well if he gets his signings right.

About sums it up for me as well.

Proper wide man - bit of bite in midfield, striker to give Moussa some competition and left backs that can stop mediocre wingers taking the p*ss out of them.

jack12895

Keeper, full back cover, creative central midfield player, a pacy winger who can take men on and chip in with a few goals, and a proper number 9. 

Think 5 players will be sufficient

Rosco

Has similar posts not been started a good few times in the past week? Seems all the very same to me. 

Suppose it is the end of the season and we need something to continue talking about with the transfer window coming up. 

Gedee
3 minutes ago, Rosco said:

Has similar posts not been started a good few times in the past week?

By the look o' things, it must have started on the ither forum as weel (fae the club eh dinnae like tae name)

And their search in now on. I'm no sure we need (hope no) quite the big "clean-oot" as suggested above:chaplin:

CC33

GK - either no1 or back up.
 Left back.
Creative centre mid.
2 strikers.
Winger

id say 5/6 needed in.

Don't think we`d need a centre half if Meekings , Caulker , Waddell and the general all stay.

JimM
45 minutes ago, Gedee said:

By the look o' things, it must have started on the ither forum as weel (fae the club eh dinnae like tae name)

And their search in now on. I'm no sure we need (hope no) quite the big "clean-oot" as suggested above:chaplin:

Im suggesting additions to the pool of players.

We are going to lose several squad players.Possibly 4 forwards a central defender ,a midfielder a back.Thats what seems pretty certain

We have one experienced keeper

So they need to be replaced.

Our midfield is weak and powder puff and needs overhauled.

JimM
1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

11 new players then? Ideally we don't want to be making wholesale changes again, consistency and continuity is key in this division. We've operated a revolving doors system ever since we came up and basically starting from scratch and trying to gel a squad quickly year on year is hurting us.

Or

We can play poor players consistently and get relegated.

We can change the staff and get better players and play better and not be near the drop.

We are going to lose several players who were in and around the first team.They need to be replaced or we will be weaker.

Gedee
4 minutes ago, JimM said:

Im suggesting additions to the pool of players.

We are going to lose several squad players.Possibly 4 forwards a central defender ,a midfielder a back.Thats what seems pretty certain

We have one experienced keeper

So they need to be replaced.

Our midfield is weak and powder puff and needs overhauled.

Sorry Jim, I take your point & understood where you were coming from ... Eh wis being a wee bit silly again :wacko:

JimM
1 minute ago, Gedee said:

Sorry Jim, I take your point & understood where you were coming from ... Eh wis being a wee bit silly again :wacko:

Not at al Gl.Im just posing the questions.

If we lose four forwards they need replaced.As it stands what we have is poor.Haber and El Bak are passengers.AJ and Murray are offski.Walters is well not very good.

Same in midfield.Its pretty threadbare and needs beefed up considerably.Whe we lose a midfielder we cave in.

We are sure to lose one possibly two central defenders-Not Caulker-so that bit of the team needs cover.

And 

Parish has done well but we is the only experienced keeper on the books.I think we need cover there.

Ricky Spanish
6 minutes ago, JimM said:

Or

We can play poor players consistently and get relegated.

We can change the staff and get better players and play better and not be near the drop.

We are going to lose several players who were in and around the first team.They need to be replaced or we will be weaker.

I'm not saying to just go again with the entire current squad. Of course it's inevitable we'll lose a few and of course we'll need to replace them with the same or better quality. However, wholesale changes every summer are not conducive to success on the pitch and are in all honesty like rolling the dice.

You seem to be saying that we currently have a squad of poor players, which is something I don't agree with. We have a good base to work from and with a few quality additions to complement them there's no reason why we can't be challenging for top 6 on a regular basis.

• Like 2

JimM
8 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm not saying to just go again with the entire current squad. Of course it's inevitable we'll lose a few and of course we'll need to replace them with the same or better quality. However, wholesale changes every summer are not conducive to success on the pitch and are in all honesty like rolling the dice.

You seem to be saying that we currently have a squad of poor players, which is something I don't agree with. We have a good base to work from and with a few quality additions to complement them there's no reason why we can't be challenging for top 6 on a regular basis.

We have some good players and they make the heart of a good team.Caulker Meekings  Kasunga Wighton are the bits that I like.Parish is ok too.Jon i like but dont know where he is at.

We are losing several players.They need to be replaced.

Others can play all day long and they will never help the team.Sometimes players need to be left out.

The young guys are an unknown.Cant say that any of them will certainly make first team players.Lambert looks a player.

We need good experienced players .A cutting edge from midfield and back up for it.

New forwards.Loads of them.

• Like 1

Gedee

It's a good topic this for many reasons ... Not only does it raise a number of issues & views of DFC present players, new names (& imore current issues) are being introduced, that further develop the discussion. And as importantly, the way it is broadening out, gives me a fuller understanding of the current situation.

Although I don't get to games ... One way or another, I do all I can to keep up to date with current happenings. And threads such as this are beneficial, interesting & for me, always worth reading ... (Maybe no as good as talking aboot meh toms)

But there again, cannae hae everything ;) 

Gedee

Would it not be just fine though, if BOD re-assessed their present budget ...

As well as the present situation. Meaning .... DFC are up here ... And the "ither lot" are still DOON there !!

& Come oot wi a statement (seriously) saying, we have decided to substantially increase our investment.

I'm not talking about BOD going totally out of financial control. But this could be the season to nail it DFC :wub:

JimM

G.What stops you getting to games?

Ferry pub crawl

Keeper,left back,defensive midfielder,attacking midfielder and 2 striker'. 5 in and about 9 out 

JimM
3 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Would it not be just fine though, if BOD re-assessed their present budget ...

As well as the present situation. Meaning .... DFC are up here ... And the "ither lot" are still DOON there !!

& Come oot wi a statement (seriously) saying, we have decided to substantially increase our investment.

I'm not talking about BOD going totally out of financial control. But this could be the season to nail it DFC :wub:

There is a lot of money in football now.Dundee have just received a big transfer fee for e.g.

I dont accept the tale about no cash to invest.Its whats done with the money inside the club.

As you say G this is a great opportunity to surge ahead and increase gates revenue and success on the park without fear of relegation.

We will soon find out where the Board are going .

Barrs

We need a new goalkeeper, a new left back, a combative midfielder, two wide players, an attacking midfielder and two strikers. 

This is based on no one good leaving. If Caulker, Kamara or any regulars leave, then they will need replaced in addition to the above. 

We also need a mentality change. We can’t wait on the likes of El Bakh or Moussa coming come, I’ve read that these players will come good, and it’s nonsense. We need to sign established players who can do a job. No more hit and hopes please. 

Edited by Barrs

Gedee
2 minutes ago, JimM said:

G.What stops you getting to games?

Jim' I have mentioned this previously in the past & I am not sure it's fair to go through all this again (because there are many in a similar/worse position than myself) Some personal circumstances, that woudl be too difficult or take too long to explain.

But as a quick summary, the less complicated would be ...  Distance, Travel, Age, Health.  The finance aspect, will I imagine be a real problem for many others. At my age, my personal circumstances, are probably better than "Just OK"

I keep up to date through media, forum , deetv subscription, meaning recordings, highlights of all DFC games (plus interviews) 

• Like 1

J_Kitamirike

For me...

A keeper (Cammy Bell?)

If we somehow keep Caulker we won't need another centre half so am happy enough with Meekings, O'Dea and Kusunga with Waddell as back up.

Left back? I still like Jon and would be happy to have him as our first choice for next season. full pre season under his belt and he will be raring to go. Unfortunately, I think he's off back home judging by his recent lack of game time and improvement in Holt.

Right back? I think we need proper competition for Kerr and hopefully bring in another rb. He has been good recently but has been overall pretty poor this season.

We need changes in midfield.  Kamara will be away and gowser possibly in the slammer so a new midfield is required! Deacon has been disappointing for me and feel he is not quite up to the standard required. Wolters a total right off so won't bother commenting on him.

As for our forwards, We still have Moussa, Haber, El Bak for next season. None are good enough and it is essential we bring in better.

Barrs

It’s a sad indictment that we are no further forward than we have been over the last few seasons. 

We have two sellable assets in Kamara and Caulker. A couple of seasons ago we had Stewart and Hemmings, apart from these, you’d keep a few ‘youngsters’ and maybe 2 ‘senior’ players, the rest you don’t seen to care about. 

JimM
19 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Jim' I have mentioned this previously in the past & I am not sure it's fair to go through all this again (because there are many in a similar/worse position than myself) Some personal circumstances, that woudl be too difficult or take too long to explain.

But as a quick summary, the less complicated would be ...  Distance, Travel, Age, Health.  The finance aspect, will I imagine be a real problem for many others. At my age, my personal circumstances, are probably better than "Just OK"

I keep up to date through media, forum , deetv subscription, meaning recordings, highlights of all DFC games (plus interviews) 

Well thats a great pity G.But the enthusiasm is there and never lose it.Keep going.

Dee tv is good in my eyes.

This forum is also good to get a flavour of fan feeling.Some sound opinion.

What was your best Dundee team that you saw?Charlie Cooke was a top player.