Jump to content
Reporting Content. Read more... ×
The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Qatar

Recommended Posts

Suddenly it all makes sense...

The disgraced former Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, has claimed that his fellow executive committee (Exco) members ignored advice that Qatar was incapable of hosting a World Cup when they voted to award the competition to the Gulf state.

He alleges Qatar’s shock victory was a combination of a rule-breaking collusion deal and political pressure exerted on Michel Platini, the French Exco member.

The claims are made in Blatter’s recently published book Ma Vérité (My Truth), the 82-year-old’s defence of his 17-year reign as Fifa president, which ended with a six-year ban from football.

Blatter says “nobody” on the Fifa Exco, which was superseded by the Fifa council in 2016, read the detailed inspection report on the candidate countries, because they had all already made up their minds.

“If we had read them carefully, we would have seen that the World Cup could not be played in Qatar,” he writes.

He claims Platini called him to say he had been pressed to change his vote during a lunch in 2010 with Nicolas Sarkozy, then the French president, and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, now the Emir of Qatar. This has always been denied by Platini.

Blatter says: “I do not know and I do not want to know if there is a connection between the Qatar World Cup award and what happened next.” He then notes that the Qataris spent billions of euros in France on an aircraft contract and on buying Paris Saint-Germain football club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blatter is best put in a corner and left to mumble his conspiracy theories in peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money talks....and the volume of it being 'invested' by Qatar probably has a very loud voice, in politics, business, and sport....as well as the combination of the three that is now (seemingly) in control of global football. 

There was an interesting documentary recently on the 'workers world cup', a football tournament staged in Qatar, between the various main contractor firms involved in building the new stadia. Very interesting insight into the lives, hopes, dreams & living conditions of those workers.....whose passports are alleged to be 'held' by their employers, until they complete their initial contract period. 

Human rights?......aye, right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cobra said:

Suddenly it all makes sense...

The disgraced former Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, has claimed that his fellow executive committee (Exco) members ignored advice that Qatar was incapable of hosting a World Cup when they voted to award the competition to the Gulf state.

He alleges Qatar’s shock victory was a combination of a rule-breaking collusion deal and political pressure exerted on Michel Platini, the French Exco member.

The claims are made in Blatter’s recently published book Ma Vérité (My Truth), the 82-year-old’s defence of his 17-year reign as Fifa president, which ended with a six-year ban from football.

Blatter says “nobody” on the Fifa Exco, which was superseded by the Fifa council in 2016, read the detailed inspection report on the candidate countries, because they had all already made up their minds.

“If we had read them carefully, we would have seen that the World Cup could not be played in Qatar,” he writes.

He claims Platini called him to say he had been pressed to change his vote during a lunch in 2010 with Nicolas Sarkozy, then the French president, and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, now the Emir of Qatar. This has always been denied by Platini.

Blatter says: “I do not know and I do not want to know if there is a connection between the Qatar World Cup award and what happened next.” He then notes that the Qataris spent billions of euros in France on an aircraft contract and on buying Paris Saint-Germain football club.

Thank goodness we have the Sunday Times newspaper who are able to ‘dig the dirt’ at the corrupt FIFA. 

I still think that the only way to stop corruption at FIFA and Qatar is for all the footballing nations to tell FIFA that they will not be entering the 2022 World Cup and they will be organising their Alternative World Cup. 

Sponsorship and TV rights could easily be sold for an Alternative World Cup played in Australia in the summer of 2022 which is during the Australian winter period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Thank goodness we have the Sunday Times newspaper who are able to ‘dig the dirt’ at the corrupt FIFA. 

I still think that the only way to stop corruption at FIFA and Qatar is for all the footballing nations to tell FIFA that they will not be entering the 2022 World Cup and they will be organising their Alternative World Cup. 

Sponsorship and TV rights could easily be sold for an Alternative World Cup played in Australia in the summer of 2022 which is during the Australian winter period.

You surely cannot believe that could happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HK Blues said:

You surely cannot believe that could happen?

Hi HK.

You should know that at the time of awarding Qatar the 2022 World Cup that FIFA was corrupt to the core with ‘money talking’.

Having an Alternative World Cup in Australia in 2022 is the obvious solution which would also ensure that as far as the Qatar bid committee is concerned crime does not pay.

Australia and USA were also bidding to have the 2022 World Cup but they lost out thanks to the FIFA delegates being bribed to vote in favour of Qatar.

As the 2026 World Cup has been awarded a joint bid of USA, Mexico and Canada the obvious place to hold the 2022 Alternative World Cup is Australia. It could also be held in England as they have the required number of large football stadiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi HK.

You should know that at the time of awarding Qatar the 2022 World Cup that FIFA was corrupt to the core with ‘money talking’.

Having an Alternative World Cup in Australia in 2022 is the obvious solution which would also ensure that as far as the Qatar bid committee is concerned crime does not pay.

Australia and USA were also bidding to have the 2022 World Cup but they lost out thanks to the FIFA delegates being bribed to vote in favour of Qatar.

As the 2026 World Cup has been awarded a joint bid of USA, Mexico and Canada the obvious place to hold the 2022 Alternative World Cup is Australia. It could also be held in England as they have the required number of large football stadiums.

Islay

I think most of us are aware that the 2022 World Cup bid war was perhaps corrupted.  However, it is not feasible to simply "tak oor ba awa" and hold a rival competition in Australia. or anywhere else for that matter.  It would be in breach of FIFA regulations and result in competition bans for any country joining the rival competition.  And then all the sponsors and broadcasters would likely be blackballed by FIFA is they supported such an alternative competition.  Lastly, do we want to end up like boxing and darts (and Miss World) with different organisations claiming to run the sport?

Realistically, it has 0% chance of happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

Islay

I think most of us are aware that the 2022 World Cup bid war was perhaps corrupted.  However, it is not feasible to simply "tak oor ba awa" and hold a rival competition in Australia. or anywhere else for that matter.  It would be in breach of FIFA regulations and result in competition bans for any country joining the rival competition.  And then all the sponsors and broadcasters would likely be blackballed by FIFA is they supported such an alternative competition.  Lastly, do we want to end up like boxing and darts (and Miss World) with different organisations claiming to run the sport?

Realistically, it has 0% chance of happening.

On the contrary if all the law abiding football nations decided to organise their own Alternative World Cup FIFA would have two choices. 

1. Cancel the award of the 2022 World  Cup to Qatar and hand the organisation of it to Australia.

2. Hold the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and it is likely that Qatar would win it as they would be possibly the only team to take part.

Sponsors and broadcasters do not want to be associated with a corrupt organisation and to date several major sponsors have ended their contracts with FIFA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

On the contrary if all the law abiding football nations decided to organise their own Alternative World Cup FIFA would have two choices. 

1. Cancel the award of the 2022 World  Cup to Qatar and hand the organisation of it to Australia.

2. Hold the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and it is likely that Qatar would win it as they would be possibly the only team to take part.

Sponsors and broadcasters do not want to be associated with a corrupt organisation and to date several major sponsors have ended their contracts with FIFA. 

I just don't see any chance of either option coming to pass, Islay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.