The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Transfer and Rumour Mill Thread 2018-19 (Mkii)

Rate this topic

I'd be disappointed if we didn't try to bring Miller in.

He may or may not be the answer but he's definitely worth a gamble, given our current problems in front of goal.

He is a proven goal scorer at a very high level.

I can't wait to see what he brings to Dens.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cobra said:

We had a nightmare getting Williams and Vincent off the books because they'd signed 3 year deals, were dependant on those wages and unlikely to get the same money elsewhere. We won't have that problem with Miller.

The 2 year contract shows that he thinks he has plenty to offer and we're keen to have him in dark blue. The length of the contract won't be a noose around our necks because he'll either leave for first team football or management the day we decide we don't want him. 

Why are you so certain that he'd walk out on a contract if we don't want him? 

If he's a dud here this season, how many teams are going to be offering him first team football on a decent enough wage for him to leave a premiership salary here? Or if he's wanting to get back into management, how many teams are going to be offering him a post based on his 7 weeks of experience at Livingston?

Of course I want him to come in and bang the goals in, but if it works the other way (which I think it will) it's pretty fantastical to think he'd just walk out on us because of the career he's had so far . He's not in high demand for a reason and players (quite rightfully) will get everything they're due from a club before they leave.

Edited by TheWhiteCafu

3 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Doesn't matter how many he scores. Some of the tactical masters have already decided he's shyte before he's signed. Dare I say he's a still a proven prolific striker. Much rather he scores for us rather than against us.

I never said he was shyte, I just don't think giving a 38year old a two year contract is a prudent course for the club.

Stephen Hughes played for Scotland at 25, was finished at 30. Some guys like Craig Brewster, Owen Coyle, Gary McAlister were still delivering as they hit 39, 40.

Writing Miller off before he's pulled on the jersey doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Like 4
  • Star Post 2

Happy with that, if he's still the same player from last season then he'll score goals IF he gets the service.

As others have said 2 years seems risky to me would have been a lot more comfortable with a deal until the end of the season. 

Lets hope he has the Clarkson effects and his goals lead to a winning streak!

• Like 1

Although I am no' totally sold on the idea ... I'll admit I am excited & hope the signing comes off.

He looks fit. Has nothing to prove. He's did it all. If he behaves himself, he'll be no jist be the man,

that score goals, he could also be the player, that other young players can follow. And look up to.

11 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

Bit strong. We’ll soon see... 

Just kidding on the alien part!

If he can bring goals then fantastic! Can’t do any worse than what we have I guess.

I think he’s finished but I also thought the same about Boyd a few years ago. At the same time Miller is about 4 years older than him!! 

7 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Doesn't matter how many he scores. Some of the tactical masters have already decided he's shyte before he's signed. Dare I say he's a still a proven prolific striker. Much rather he scores for us rather than against us.

Name any poster that said Miller is sh**e. 

2 minutes ago, TheWhiteCafu said:

Why are you so certain that he'd walk out on a contract if we don't want him? 

If he's a dud here this season, how many teams are going to be offering him first team football on a decent enough wage for him to leave a premiership salary here. Or if he's wanting to get back into management, how many teams are going to be offering how a post based on his 7 weeks of experience at Livingston.

Of course I want him to come in and bang the goals in, but if it works the other way (which I think it will) it's pretty fantastical to think he'd just walk out on us because of the careers he's had so far . He's not in high demand for a reason and players (quite rightfully) will get everything they're due from a club before they leave.

He's not coming to Dens for the riches. He's coming because he's still got a great desire to play first team football. If he can't get it with Dundee I imagine he'll either drop a division or have another go at management. I would be astonished if he spent a year in our reserves just to squeeze every last penny out of his £2k contract at Dundee. Don't think it will come to that though as I'm confident he'll make an impact.

• Like 2

Pissed off with the negativity again. Seems the club can never do right for doing wrong in some people's eyes. I don't think he'd have signed for 1yr and we'd have been slated if we'd missed out and he signed for St Mirren. 

Hopefully Kenny proves a few wrong.

• Like 8
  • Star Post 1

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

We are desperate for someone on the park who knows Scottish football, adds experience to the youngsters and new guys in the squad, leads by example, won't need to adapt to the Scottish game and has a proven track record at this level.

I'm not sure how many other players like that, within our budget and available there are. Miller ticks every one of those boxes for me. Yes he's 38 but Kevin Thomson made a huge contribution while unable to play every game, or 90 minutes every week and what Miller could bring could be something similar even though they are very different players.

I've been (continue to be) a massive critic of McCann, but this feels like the right signing at the right time to me.

• Like 6

Roughly a year ago next weekend I was at Ibrox watching us get thumped 4-1.

Miller didn't score that afternoon but he was a constant threat and played brilliant.

Am I supposed to believe he's finished a year later because he's got the numbers 38 next to his name? 

Genuinely impressed me every time he's played us since they came up plus the Scottish Cup game at Ibrox 2 years ago.

This is a massive signing compared to what we've been bringing in if it goes through.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Like 3

The debate here is his age not his ability. 38 year old striker. Wow. Hope you guys are right. 

Well personally I'm not that keen on 38 year old football players for this level, however he's kept himself in good condition which is obviously part genetics/part hard work. I admired his determination and commitment when playing for Scotland, hated him with a passion when we played against him, but that's partly to do with my hatred of the Old Firm.

Having said all of that if we can have him play a good positional game (right between the posts in the box) without having him run aboot like a daftie then he does know where the net is. Perhaps he'll be a good teacher for Kallman, Mendy, Henvey, and Scott to learn from. I hope Miller sees himself as a potential mentor to our younger strikeforce. 

Also if this move means that I'll be seeing a lot less that clumsy oaf Moussa this season then I'm all for it!

7 minutes ago, Baldee said:

The debate here is his age not his ability. 38 year old striker. Wow. Hope you guys are right. 

His age means nothing Baldee.

You can be 28 and sh1te or 38 and delivered for 20 years including last season for Rangers, Celtic, Wolves, Hibs and Scotland off the top of my head.

Unless he's got seriously unfit over the summer, he will be fitter than some of the players half his age. Might not last the full 90 mins mind you week in week out but give me 60 minutes of Kenny Miller any day over 90 minutes from many of the duds who have played up front for us the last few seasons.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Like 1

Kris Boyd is 35 fat and still banging the goals in ..age means f**k all if they do the business on the park..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J_Kitamirike said:

I think he’s finished 

Based on what? Genuinely interested.

I'm guessing because 38 seems old for a footballer and because he joined the minnows Livi after his Ibrox fall out?

Definitely can't be for performances against us.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Pissed off with the negativity again. Seems the club can never do right for doing wrong. In some people's eyes. I don't think he'd have signed for 1yr and we'd have been slated if we'd missed out and he signed for St Mirren. 

Hopefully Kenny proves a few wrong.

Mate, it’s the same every time!! Folk moaning at the lack of signings but as soon as we make positive moves, same folk criticise and pick holes. Sometimes, actually more often than not, despair at the attitude of some of our support. Like they ain’t happy unless there’s something to have a pop at the club about.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

If he signs, Kenny Miller will immediately be the most dangerous striker on our books.

He wouldn’t sit out a 2 year deal either.

Better than what we have so happy.

All about opinions.

Some think he will be good while others don’t.

McCann must have missed out on all his “targets” during pre season.

Miller plays a lot deeper these days so I’ve been told so not exactly the finisher we’re craving?

Killie sign Stewart while we sign a 38 year old has been on a 2 year deal! Madness! 

7 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Stephen Hughes played for Scotland at 25, was finished at 30. Some guys like Craig Brewster, Owen Coyle, Gary McAlister were still delivering as they hit 39, 40.

Writing Miller off before he's pulled on the jersey doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Cobra you may as well add Gordon Smith to above ... When DFC signed him, I think he was 37yrs at the time. No' only did the younger DFC fans scoff at the foolhardiness, of the signing of a man of his age ... (& although is hard to believe, eh wis one o' they young ains then) ... even the auder ains shook theit heids at the daftness o' a signing like that.

Watching Gordon Smith in action, was an experience never to be forgotton. Worth money just to watch him :wub:

NOT making any comparisons wi him & KM. But experience has taught me not to make quick judgements:chaplin:

• Like 2

Not sure guys realise how difficult it is to play top flight football at 38. Very few guys can do it. It’s all about opinions so you have to expect some guys wary the club signing a 38 year old player. Unfortunately when you get passed 34 ish age is everything. 

2 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Based on what? Genuinely interested.

I'm guessing because 38 seems old for a footballer and because he joined the minnows Livi after his Ibrox fall out?

Definitely can't be for performances against us.

How many goals did he score last season?

He might have played some decent games against us but so did Blair Spittal. 

23 appearances for the team that finished third last year and he is finished? For those of us who went to ibrox for our last fixture, I saw I guy who will very likely be an asset with goals and assists to young Ben. 

I’ve typed and retyped this post but tbh I’ve deleted the rest of it as I’m lost for words in relation to the negativity directed at Miller and NM on this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Star Post 7