Jump to content
The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Forum Changes

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Deetection said:

I don’t understand this Islay, because you come across as very tolerant, accepting of different opinions to your yourself, and generally empathetic...

Hi Deetection,

The poster in question would not listen to my reasoning so I had two options.

Keep battling on 

or

Give up and stop posting on this topic. 

With great regret I chose the latter option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi Deetection,

The poster in question would not listen to my reasoning so I had two options.

Keep battling on 

or

Give up and stop posting on this topic. 

With great regret I chose the latter option.

Or, you could simply put them on ignore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Or, you could simply put them on ignore?

Hi TDF. 

That would mean that I have let them win. There is a well known saying which I often use “Every dog has its day”. 

I do not know how to put someone on ignore or how to send a personal message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi TDF. 

That would mean that I have let them win. There is a well known saying which I often use “Every dog has its day”. 

I do not know how to put someone on ignore or how to send a personal message.

Putting someone on ignore doesn't mean you let them win, far from it. I means that you are less likely to get drawn into arguments and personal disagreements and a possible warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the Forum Posts & contributing to the forum, in the way of posts, is from a personal viewpoint, a usually a very enjoyable part of my day , irregardles of whether the posts I read or write, are newsy, informative, or funny, or even plain daft. But even so, I don't think I ever get so heated or involved, I find myself, so out of control, that I find myself falling out with people ... I know I am not unique in this. I think the much greater majority on here have a similar experience.

But there does seem a few others, who appear to easily lose their cool, & take great pleasure in voicing a contrary opinion, that equally (it seems to me) is as much about, the "reaction" they can generate. I understand posters with very strong opinions, holding their ground & debating vigorously with other posters who hold strongly, opposing views ...

But surely even the most engaged posters, can see when it is descending into a "mess" when the personal insults take over :rant:

Maybe my perception's wrong. But if not, why do they do it? I am not trying to be over-critical or take sides ...  Just curious:chaplin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Reading the Forum Posts & contributing to the forum, in the way of posts, is from a personal viewpoint, a usually a very enjoyable part of my day , irregardles of whether the posts I read or write, are newsy, informative, or funny, or even plain daft. But even so, I don't think I ever get so heated or involved, I find myself, so out of control, that I find myself falling out with people ... I know I am not unique in this. I think the much greater majority on here have a similar experience.

But there does seem a few others, who appear to easily lose their cool, & take great pleasure in voicing a contrary opinion, that equally (it seems to me) is as much about, the "reaction" they can generate. I understand posters with very strong opinions, holding their ground & debating vigorously with other posters who hold strongly, opposing views ...

But surely even the most engaged posters, can see when it is descending into a "mess" when the personal insults take over :rant:

Maybe my perception's wrong. But if not, why do they do it? I am not trying to be over-critical or take sides ...  Just curious:chaplin:

Not everyone is the same, Gedee, as you rightly explain. Some people see things as black and white, right or wrong and they can't stop themselves. There's absolutely no harm intended in their posts and nobody should be either upset or offended IMO.

That's the way they are and there is no point in trying to argue them into submission. The best that you can do is summarise what you understand to be their view and then say that you disagree. I have found that by saying what I had taken from their posts that quite often I was wrong, and I received an explanation that helped me to understand what they meant, which was slightly, or even substantially different from what I thought they were trying to say. The trouble with online posts is that no matter how careful you are with the wording it is very easy for the reader to misunderstand because he/she does not get the verbal and physical clues that are picked up when actually speaking to a person face to face.

You use two posting styles, one that is in standard English, like the one above and one that is folksy and in the Dundee dialect. Ye dinnae say thochtful stuff like that stuff above in yir Dee voice, ken, 'cos we widnae unnerstan it! :hugs:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Putting someone on ignore doesn't mean you let them win, far from it. I means that you are less likely to get drawn into arguments and personal disagreements and a possible warning.

How do I put another poster on ignore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BCram said:

Not everyone is the same, Gedee, as you rightly explain. Some people see things as black and white, right or wrong and they can't stop themselves. There's absolutely no harm intended in their posts and nobody should be either upset or offended IMO.

That's the way they are and there is no point in trying to argue them into submission. The best that you can do is summarise what you understand to be their view and then say that you disagree. I have found that by saying what I had taken from their posts that quite often I was wrong, and I received an explanation that helped me to understand what they meant, which was slightly, or even substantially different from what I thought they were trying to say. The trouble with online posts is that no matter how careful you are with the wording it is very easy for the reader to misunderstand because he/she does not get the verbal and physical clues that are picked up when actually speaking to a person face to face.

You use two posting styles, one that is in standard English, like the one above and one that is folksy and in the Dundee dialect. Ye dinnae say thochtful stuff like that stuff above in yir Dee voice, ken, 'cos we widnae unnerstan it!

Hello BC ... Thanks for your quick response. There are some very interesting & thoughtful comments there (There is nae need for me to go through them, but I would say, you are right on the mark) I absolutely tho agree, "the written text" in the context of the forums, requires much more thought & care.

On the point of myself mixing "hame dialect" & "posher english" ...

 Sometimes it's aroond...Moods/boredom/presentation/appropriateness/descriptiveness (keeping scottish words & phrases alive)...Tak Care Noo Freend :chaplin:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

How do I put another poster on ignore.

Click on your Username at the top right hand corner, and choose Ignored Users from the menu. You will be taken to another page, enter the name of the person you wish to ignore and select the other options like posts or PM and save.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheDarkBlues said:

Click on your Username at the top right hand corner, and choose Ignored Users from the menu. You will be taken to another page, enter the name of the person you wish to ignore and select the other options like posts or PM and save.

 

Hi TDF.

Thank you for the information. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gedee said:

But there does seem a few others, who appear to easily lose their cool, & take great pleasure in voicing a contrary opinion, that equally (it seems to me) is as much about, the "reaction" they can generate.

The definition of a Forum Troll summed up in one neat sentence. 😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

The definition of a Forum Troll summed up in one neat sentence. 😉

Thank You John ... But mind and give your good self a pat in the back.

I remember asking the question regarding definition of Troll. (2yrs ago)

It was yourself  who explained it to me (so it must have stuck with me)

Guess there will aye be trolls so maybe we should maybe try to educate

oorselves on how to respond (or not) deal wi' them. If they are looking

for a particular reaction, I'd suggest either ignoring them, or give them

the kind of response that is...exactly the opposite of what they expect.

(But aye keep yir cool & you'll be the winner) Jings noo eh'm an expert :wacko:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.