TheDarkBlues

Match Aftermath: Aberdeen 5 - 1 Dundee

Rate this topic

Left after an hour....

Gave Aberdeen far too much respect

Odea looking his age tonight

midfield took zero responsibillty 

was like watching a league 1 side

some of these boys need to have a hard look at themselves, plus some clearly not SPL standard....

Two huge home games coming up

Highlight for me tonight was the stovies at half time. Mind you they cost £3.40!  

Everytime the ball went into the box I feared a goal. Hamilton had a couple of good saves to keep it down. When Kasunga  went off we had no power to match Cosgrove and seemed small  and this was repeated all over the pitch. Curran had some good touches but with little support, Miller scored a good goal but the rest were never in it. I had not seen Woods play and was looking forward to seeing him but he was a passenger all night. Odea may be past his best but still tried and played on with a groin injury. 

No fight, little football and much frustration. 

Mind you the stovies were fine. 

• Like 1

Kusunga going off was a huge blow, hindsight is great but we could see that Cosgrove was causing problems so innis might have been a better shout as he has greater strength and height than Boyle. Why Kamara didn’t start is a mystery and a baffling decision by JM. We were well beaten but I’ve also got to add that the officials were a disgrace, how the ref and linesman contrived to somehow award the fourth goal was unbelievable and the ref “missed” a clear foul on Miller in the box at 1 v 0 when Ralph ran through and took a shot, regardless of Ralph taking the shot it looked an off the ball foul and therefore a penalty all day long. While I doubt the outcome would have been anything other than an Aberdeen win, these things going in our favour might have changed the game.

Want to see Aberdeen’s fifth goal again. Not for the lack lustre defending, but Hamilton pulled off what at the time I think was a world class save, just a pity the defence stood still and watched Considine knock in the rebound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

Madianga or Elton surely worth a try ahead of Spence. Maybe frozen out altogether?? Probably fair enough but Spence is honking 

They'd have to try in training first.

48 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

There's no doubt that McIntyre needs to shoulder a huge proportion of the blame for tonight. No one is saying otherwise. However the players should be embarrassed by that tonight. No effort and no idea.

These payers were every bit as bad under McCann. They are no good enough, no matter who else is to blame. 

Kilmarnock was not a shock to me, the best I expected was a draw. However to lose 5 to a team that has been struggling to score all season is not funny. McIntyre has already proved that with the right organisation we can hold our own. I was not at the match but listened to it on the radio. It sounded like things were back to the way things were at the beginning of McIntyre's reign. Kamara should not have been dropped. Madianga is a better player than Spence and would have been the obvious replacement for Kamara if he was to be dropped. Celtic will be out to reverse there stumble against Hibs so Celtic Park will be a frightening prospect at the weekend. McIntyre has got a lot of thinking to do before then.

• Like 2

I wasn't looking forward to tonight after our second half showing on Saturday.  It shows how fragile the confidence is, one poor 45 and it's back to square one. 

Players were not looking to receive the ball tonight, Woods kept going backwards as everyone around him was so static, simple passes were continuously poorly executed......it was soul destroying.

January is going to be very very busy, hopefully we sign one or two 6 foot plus lads that can play even a little bit as we need to stop being bullied like tonight.

We were poor and not organised apart from a very brief spell in second half it was embarrassing at times a fecking Xmas pantomime with the home support having a fun time but worse they were not that good it shows how bad we were 

Eight goals conceded in 109 minutes of football at Rugby Park and Pittodrie. The first of the eight was a horrible fumble from Hamilton and we've been a defensive shambles since that moment. I think that proved a trigger for the wheels coming off again. I'd be tempted to bring back Parish but then he hardly covered himself in glory last time we played Livi.

Just need to get through the damage limitation exercise at Parkhead and take it from there I suppose. Thankfully Rodgers doesn't seem to enjoy shooting fish in a barrel unless he's got a point to prove so they'll probably settle for two or three goals and then bring on some young players.

• Like 1

The goal difference is a big worry to me,

I hate to imagine how bad it will be if we get leathered at Parkhead.

It’s put us back bottom tonight and could end up being worth a crucial point at the end of the season to our rivals if we go on another run of bad defeats.

• Like 2

Shocking performance last night. Yes we were unlucky at the first goal but had at least two opportunities to clear the ball before the header went in. The fourth goal was a joke from the referee but we were a well beaten side by then. We lacked physicality throughout the team and were bullied from start to finish. There were some very poor performances, none more so than from Gowser. He has done well for us in the past at times but is now just too small, too weak and too slow for this league. Glad to see that JM recognises the need for changes. The recent surge in optimism has gone. Personally I would write off Saturday's match with Celtic and rest our more important players for the two home games coming up. We will need four points from those two matches.

• Like 1

Our midfield is absolutely rotten-all too lightweight and small.

Curran and Miller in time will become good players but should not be playing every week.

The others have no pace,pass the ball square,can't run with the ball and beat a man and can't shoot.

When did we last have a shot from midfielders below  from out with the box.

Kamara,Spence,McGowan and Woods are just not up to it.

Yes-Kamara is better but what is his end product.

Woods marginallystronger but passes sideway.

To think of Harkins and Allan  being here and Not being played by previous managers says it all.

Too many shyte signings on big contracts. McCann must have been like a kid in a sweetie shop when he got dosh to sign them.

5 minutes ago, Deeboy08 said:

Harkins would walk into this team right now no problem 

And may haunt us in cup at Dens in Jan. Again and again I have said we are bullied off the ball. The modern game is about strength and pace. We appear to have not noticed this as a club. 

I think McIntyre knows this so hopefully a good January for transfer dealings 

Last nights game and the one on Saturday against Celtic matter a lot because they can have a big impact on our goal difference which could be what keeps us up at the end of the season. Last nights game also means a lot to those who spent money and time (at this busy pre Christmas period) to go and support the team.

The January window is a notoriously bad time to try and bolster your side, especially if you need half a dozen players. We also need to get 6+ out of the door and who will be signing injury prone; poor; couldnt-care-less "professionals"?

Thank god I dont rely on DFC alone for my sporting fix.

11 hours ago, Parcbara said:

Kamara looks like he wants to be somewhere else. If we can get money, we should take it and rebuild that midfield.  We could do with rebuilding the defence as well. 

Said this for ages / I’ve long since lost faith in him and also deacon

Some of our players think that running around equates to putting in a good shift, it's pointless without composure and ability.

The Scottish Premier isn't pretty at times but it's always difficult, we can't expect to win many games with only 5 or 6 players making a decent contribution to the team.

I think the manager was blameless last night, his players showed an amazing lack of teamwork, spirit and on the field organisation.

Its near the end of December and we have 9 points and a horrendous goal defecit, it all down to our sh*t players.

I doubt that Nelms will allow JM to bring in the 6 or 7 players needed for us to have any chance of survival, it looks likely that we will be relegated with a very low points total.

I hope I'm wrong because relegation will put the clubs very existence on the line.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stampguy said:

There is a fundamental problem with this organization on and off the field . Unfortunately I think it starts at the top with the Yanks. And it all filters right on down to the field of play. It's just bizarre because St Johnstone could beat Aberdeen and nobody would really bat an eye, but conversely we could beat St Johnstone and nobody would really bat an eye. So well money is obviously an issue in world football - most of the Euro leagues are 2,3, or 4 horse races, but there is something more rotten in the state of Dundee! 

But the fact that we can't get our noses out in front consistently ahead of Killie, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Motherwell, County, Thistle, ICT, Yenited just in general over the last 15 years and Mirren, Livingston this season is just an embarrassment to me. And I know some of these clubs have/had rich benefactors doesn't matter a whit to me - our present owners are worth $250 million US. All this talk of a new stadium is just tedious to me and smacks of putting the cart before the horse. Get it right on the park first and it makes every other endeavour (new stadia, hotels/flats, crematoria, skating rink/ and any other offshoots from the club you're trying to achieve with that much easier. 

If we were pulling a Killie right now, the city, the council, the fans (of which there's probably be 1500-2000 more per home game) would be much more likely to have a receptive ear about new stadiums. Right now I don't care if we play in a tattie field or Dens or a shiny Nou Campy - what's the feckin' difference if it's garbage we're forced to endure??? Get it right on the pitch first for fuxake!!!!!!!

100 percent agree with this. Well said.

As far as what's happening right this very second on the pitch I wasn't kidding in the match day thread about Karl and Elton and even the young lad Lambert getting back involved - Spence is a ridiculous player. Although Kamara hasn't looked to be up to much lately he's still better than Lewis on his worst day. The other thing about Karl and Elton is that both are quite capable of launching a rocket off their boot into the net from 20 or 25 yds out and maybe a spell in street clothes and playing reserve football will whet their appetite to get stuck in if presented with another opportunity.

Disagree with this. 

Kamara is better than Spence any day of the week but he's had one half hearted, I can't be @rsed tackling performance too many this season. Rightly dropped if he can't give 100 percent like his team mates.

Elton and to a lesser extent Madianga were rightly dropped and rightly haven't been back in the team since. They (more so Elton) were utter sh!t and part of the reason we're in this mess as we played the first 10 games of the season or so with half a team who weren't up to top flight standard and we continue to play with a couple of not good enoughs until McIntyre gets January to attempt to sort more of that mess McCann made out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

I doubt that Nelms will allow JM to bring in the 6 or 7 players needed for us to have any chance of survival, it looks likely that we will be relegated with a very low points total.

I hope I'm wrong because relegation will put the clubs very existence on the line.

We need 6 or 7 players for a chance of survival?

We've had a horrendous season so far and yet sit on the same points as St Mirren and are just behind Hamilton. I would say we've got a chance of survival with no new signings because we can't possibly do as badly as we have done these last few months.

All three clubs will look to strengthen in January but we're the biggest club with the biggest budget. If we can make three or four good signings I expect us to stay up with a bit to spare.

Aberdeen fans saying that's a poor an away team that they've seen at Pittodrie for a long time 😧 

6 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Aberdeen fans saying that's a poor an away team that they've seen at Pittodrie for a long time 😧 

We're not defined by one 90 minute performance at Pittodrie. We showed against Hibs and Rangers that we can compete against the best teams in the league.

We do have a serious lack of depth and that's being exposed during this brutal run of fixtures.

If we pick up points against Livi and St Johnstone, optimism will be restored and we'll all be looking forward to 2019.

There is a fundamental problem with this organization on and off the field . Unfortunately I think it starts at the top with the Yanks. And it all filters right on down to the field of play. It's just bizarre because St Johnstone could beat Aberdeen and nobody would really bat an eye, but conversely we could beat St Johnstone and nobody would really bat an eye. So well money is obviously an issue in world football - most of the Euro leagues are 2,3, or 4 horse races, but there is something more rotten in the state of Dundee! 

But the fact that we can't get our noses out in front consistently ahead of Killie, St Johnstone, Hamilton, Motherwell, County, Thistle, ICT, Yenited just in general over the last 15 years and Mirren, Livingston this season is just an embarrassment to me. And I know some of these clubs have/had rich benefactors doesn't matter a whit to me - our present owners are worth $250 million US. All this talk of a new stadium is just tedious to me and smacks of putting the cart before the horse. Get it right on the park first and it makes every other endeavour (new stadia, hotels/flats, crematoria, skating rink/ and any other offshoots from the club you're trying to achieve with that much easier. 

If we were pulling a Killie right now, the city, the council, the fans (of which there's probably be 1500-2000 more per home game) would be much more likely to have a receptive ear about new stadiums. Right now I don't care if we play in a tattie field or Dens or a shiny Nou Campy - what's the feckin' difference if it's garbage we're forced to endure??? Get it right on the pitch first for fuxake!!!!!!!

On the point about the stadium, I think it'd be a nonsensical if these things couldn't run concurrently with anything else. The idea that this project is making the playing squad much worse isn't really based in reality. It's just superstition to say that 'we did x and y happened so x must be to blame'. There's a huge issue with infrastructure (both with the losses stadium wise and training facilities) - I'm sure there would be enough outrage if there were no efforts to address this made and the chickens come home to roost. Football isn't an exact science and it'd be absolute madness to plan projects like that around footballing performance. There's also no evidence to your assertion that the council have not been receptive to the project and that's a very obscure statement to make.

The board had a plan to bring in McCann and create this 'new style' of play that would bring fans back and eventually lead to long-term footballing success. They strongly invested in these ideas and, by every external metric related to finance, they matched this with financial resources that were obtained from their own back pocket. Ultimately, they were duped, but they have acted to change this season by bringing in an experienced manager and also stated, unequivocally, on the record that they understand their philosophy has to change and they were putting too much value in 'style' and potential and made many statements that fans here had worried about. I think those things were quite brave to say out loud and I'll certainly applaud them if it leads to getting things right and if they've got a much better understanding of Scottish Football now.

I get that there are some agitations about what has happened on the pitch this season and some gripes with conflicts and a growing perception that there is a lack of fan engagement but I think there's a lot of hysteria that is making the Texans out to be boogey men. They have come in and put up a huge amount of their own finance and seen nothing in return. In response, they've continued funding the shortfalls to give us a solid budget for our size every season and have put in hard work to address problems that have been created well before their arrival and not been addressed in decades of others owning the club. They are human and they will f**k up and aren't saints but they've matched their mouths with their wallets and have even worked to integrate with the city - Nelms for example making investments in other business and calling the place home. This is a great asset to have and I think it'd be difficult to construct any strong argument that they've not acted in good faith.

Eddie Thompson across the road spent years playing the debt game that we (and it seemed all of Scotland) were playing at the time and got very fortunate to narrowly avoid relegation and then stumbled on a manager (one out of a dozen) who happened to actually be really competent and do OK. This took the pressure off and when he sadly passed and his son inherited the club, everything looked rosey and they were media darlings with almost unanimous fan approval. Suddenly, their bad luck come at once and it turned out that the perception of a robustly run club was a complete myth and they were throwing liabilities around and lying to the support. That's an example of legitimately poor ownership all round and something I fear much more than them getting a manager wrong.

• Love 1
  • Star Post 1

It sounds trite, but our season won't be defined by the games against Aberdeen and Killie who will be battling for the European spots. Especially the away games.

We need to focus on the bottom-6 teams while picking up occasional wins and draws against other teams; something we had been doing. Going into the Killie game, we picked up 4 points against relegation rivals, along with a "bonus" two against Hibs and Rangers.

This was always going to be a nightmare run of three games, and we set ourselves up well going into them with those four previous results. 

We can write-off Saturday. Even a good Dundee team would struggle at Celtic Park. We need to focus everything on the two home games to follow. Four points would be idea; but two or three wouldn't necessarily be a disaster.

• Like 3