The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

The January 2019 Transfer Window Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Chomp my root said:

Happy enough with that, considering he wasn't really match fit when he joined I think he's done alright.

I am with you on that one as well, a bit of dig, maybe not the best footballer, but he certainly gets in about the opposition 😎

Edited by Hamishlebaux19
Mis spelling

Why can’t we progress a couple of the youths that achieved a great second place in the league last year ?

we seem to drag our heels on this side. I personally never attended these games but surely we could do better with these guys who would show more effort and dedication that what was on show yesterday. We witnessed players who are just playing for a wage and not the team. Very inept performance from all players who have forgot the basics of how to close down the opposition. JM needs a small miracle to get a fit and “ up for the fight” squad by last week in January.

Just now, Neverapenref said:

Why can’t we progress a couple of the youths that achieved a great second place in the league last year ?

Why was there a youth left on the bench only for a player without even 24hrs of his stay at Dens left, put on the park yesterday? 

Is there still a certain youth requirement in match day squads? 

19 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Have been saying this for a while now. We are now what in our 4th season in the premier league and squad repeatedly over hauled. We Should be at the stage where we have a settlednsquad and add 3/4 each summer who will action strengthen the first team. Far to many clear outs and that needs to change now. 

Liam Craig played game number 362 for St Johnstone at Dens to make him second on the all-time list of appearances for the club, second only to Steven Anderson (who is still at the club). Craig said this week he hopes to be at McDiarmid for years to come. You also have guys like Zander Clark, Richard Foster, Joe Shaughnessy, David Wotherspoon, Chris Kane and Jason Kerr who've been there for many years. It's creates great stability and allows them to go on some fantastic runs.

Meanwhile at Dens, we're bringing in guys who've played little or no league football in the UK, sometimes they don't even speak the language and more often than not we end up paying them to leave because they can't perform at the level needed.

And here we are going into 2019 requiring a massive clearout as we try and rescue our season. It's deja vu. You say it needs to change but it just doesn't seem to be in our nature to follow the sensible St Johnstone model. DFC seems to be all about random and risky punts. Instead of making wise investments we prefer to use our money to play the lottery.

Why bring in someone steady and reliable like Liam Craig when we use that money to fly in the likes of Yordi and the Moose?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Rudy gestede, that is all

Sounds like a disease.  Hope you get better soon.

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

Is that a rumour?

1 hour ago, Chomp my root said:

She's 68 mate. Just sayin'......

You're assuming DBK isn't nearly 70 ;) 

....though I'm sure he isn't.... :chin: 

2 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Liam Craig played game number 362 for St Johnstone at Dens to make him second on the all-time list of appearances for the club, second only to Steven Anderson. Craig said this week he hopes to be at McDiarmid for years to come. You also have guys like Zander Clark, Richard Foster, Joe Shaughnessy, David Wotherspoon, Chris Kane and Jason Kerr who've been at the club for many years. It's creates great stability and allows them to go on some fantastic runs.

Meanwhile at Dens, we're bringing in guys who've played little or no league football in the UK, sometimes they don't even speak the language and more often than not we end up paying them to leave because they can't perform at the level needed.

And here we are going into 2019 requiring a massive clearout as we try and rescue our season. It's deja vu. You say it needs to change but it just doesn't seem to be in our nature to follow the sensible St Johnstone model. DFC seems to be all about random and risky punts. Instead of making wise investments we prefer to use our money to play the lottery.

Why bring in someone steady and reliable like Liam Craig when we use that money to fly in the likes of Yordi and the Moose?

Tommy Wright has been at St Johnstone for over 7 years now as Asst Manager then Manager.  In that time we are now on our 5th Manager and have gone through how many players? I dread to think.  Stability in football starts from the top.  Who is likely to get his jotters 1st - TW or JM.  A good number of Dees would punt JM now if they could.

4 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

In the Hilton gym as we speak 

Ooft. That would show intent.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

My son is in there most days, but I can't see him getting signed up! lol

PS: I'm glad my son hasn't been signed up for a club, as all he wants to do is slide tackle a ref every game!

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

I take it back bud.  Good news if true.  Mind you he could be here to visit the V&A and indulge in the world famous City Square New Year celebrations.😀

3 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

PS: I'm glad my son hasn't been signed up for a club, as all he wants to do is slide tackle a ref every game!

Seems fair.

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, J_Kitamirike said:

We genuinely have to replace the entire squad apart from K Miller and maybe Woods/Ralph.

Neil McCann might have been a hero at the club previously but he has really got us in the sh*t now. Arrogant prick who can shove his philosophy up his a**e.

If I’m being realistic though I think we will only see maybe 4-5 new faces come in.

Just catching up with the forum now.

Totally agree.

Kenny Miller, Ralph and Woods are good enough (all were poor yesterday though).

The 2 goalies and O'Dea are ok. Gowser on his day too.

Kamara isn't interested and is finished.

The rest aren't up to standard.

Kallman can't score.

Curran can't get stuck in.

Cammy is just painfully awful this last year and a bit in possesion and more so at defending. A shell of the player he was 2 to 3 years ago. Not good enough.

The rest are being emptied rightly so by McIntyre.

McCann has tainted any good memories for me too with the damage he done this summer.

What a club we are at times.

Sick of it. Just want a relaxed non crisis season again and not to get pumped in the cups from championship teams. 

Surely not a massive ask with 4500 to 5000 loyal fans and a multi millionaire owner.

Why is it so fkn difficult?

St Johnstone are the absolute benchmark the last decade of everything we aspire to be.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Have been saying this for a while now. We are now what in our 4th season in the premier league and squad repeatedly over hauled. We Should be at the stage where we have a settlednsquad and add 3/4 each summer who will action strengthen the first team. Far to many clear outs and that needs to change now. 

I agree with this totally. How many more times are we going to overhaul the team in the hope of finding that magical collection of players who will win up the treble and all the European cups?

The amount of players that Hartley and McCann brought into the side were ridiculous and it has left us weakened and most likely out of pocket because of having to pay off players to bring in new players.

Now we find ourselves in the exact same position again, but this time I feel this has been forced on JM because the players we have right now are not good enough. If we manage to survive in this league this season, we as a club defiantly need to revise our transfer policy and bring about some stability on the playing side for a change.

35 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

His wages will be high, but relegation will cost more. New TV deal if we stay up too, Keyes must realise we simply have to stay up and to be honest I think he does, he isn't daft. You don't make money, him and his family have by being daft.  

This type of player is a player that like Aberdeen or Hibs would get. 

39 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Why was there a youth left on the bench only for a player without even 24hrs of his stay at Dens left, put on the park yesterday? 

Is there still a certain youth requirement in match day squads? 

Said the same to my mate, but seemingly Moore is meant to be a holding midfielder and an excellent prospect, time will tell.

Paul Lambert was moaning the other day that Ipswich don't have the finances to sign Gestede. Would be a pretty spectacular signing for Dundee.

19 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Tommy Wright has been at St Johnstone for over 7 years now as Asst Manager then Manager.  In that time we are now on our 5th Manager and have gone through how many players? I dread to think.  Stability in football starts from the top.  Who is likely to get his jotters 1st - TW or JM.  A good number of Dees would punt JM now if they could.

I agree that we need to have stability from head to toe, but we need to find the right manager first and work from there. No point in hiring a manager and keeping with them regardless of how they perform in the league.

With all the money that we spend paying off players, that money could have gone on wages for a decent manager who actually knows what he is doing at this level. Is JM that manager, not sure but he has to be given a good chance to prove himself first.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThelegendthatisBeto said:

No chance is he coming to Dens, we couldn't afford his boots never mind his wages.

Cant see him signing for us being honest, unless boro paid all his wages.

Gestede is apparently on £30k a week so he earns in two weeks what the average Dundee player earns in a year. I wouldn't say it's impossible that something could be arranged but it seems very unlikely.

well done JM getting rid of all the sh**e at our club you think the same as most of the fans 

• Like 2