The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

The January 2019 Transfer Window Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I've a feeling that there might be a wee bit of restructuring behind the scenes as we've now got a fair few coach in and around the first team. 

Good point Rev. 👍

14 hours ago, Valentke said:

We need the Board to give the manager funds that are not conditional on players leaving otherwise NM will take us down. 

Absolutely  this. McIntyre has identified weakness, which was sanctioned by John Nelms. If he does not provide funds then he will have played a huge part  in relegating us. 

• Star Post 1

I see it's still Neil McCann who will be taking us down if we're relegated. :lol:

1 hour ago, Eric-sinclair said:

Hopefully next week we ship Kamara out and finish of the squad with

Lee Wallace

Charlie Adam

Michael Ohalloran.

Thant would do for me,get it done Jim

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be over the moon if those three were the only three players we added between now and the window closing, but I don’t think you should build your hopes up, the chances of even one of those three signing for us is extremely low.

• Star Post 1

3 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I see it's still Neil McCann who will be taking us down if we're relegated.

For some, it appears, there will always be a need to blame somebody, until all his signings have gone it will be McCann, just as it was Hartley, it’ll be McIntyre’s turn soon enough. :D

This transfer window was about one thing for me.  It was to strengthen the squad with a view to keeping us in this league.  Short-termism maybe but if we achieve that goal we can regroup in June and take it again from there.  At this point in time there is nothing more important than keeping our Premier status.

The manager has taken the decision to tell 8 or 9 of our squad that they are surplus to requirements and can do one.  Fair enough and there would now appear to be just the 4 of them left.  Those players that still remain out of that list must now be really motivated-not, so he needs to bring in at least another 3 or 4 but more likely 5 or 6 players, regardless of the not wanted players still being here. It may cost the club but it's almost like a loss leader imo.

Lets be having these new players JM because the two we have just now, whilst welcome, just ain't gonna cut it on their own.  FB, CB, 2 MF, Wide man and striker would make me happier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WeighorstsWang said:

You know what I meant. 💤

if his poorvsignings cant be moved out then the post NM hangover is even bigger than if they move on. 

• Like 2

I can't see where the money (or sense ) is for bringing in 4, 5 or even 6 more players.

We make a loss each year. We have had to (or will have to) pay off a number of players to prematurely end their contracts.

Our attendances seem down on previous seasons (maybe someone can confirm).

It looks like we could end up getting no transfer fee income this window (Rangers have neither the money or inclination to financially boost other Scottish Clubs).

Assuming the signings made so far go into the first team, another five would mean a first team change of over 70% in the space of three weeks. I don't know much about football strategy or tactics, but that doesn't sound like a sensible approach to us picking up 20 odd points in the next three months or so.

The signings made so far seem sensible if not overly exciting. It seems to me that it is motivation that will get us to safety this season, not better players (at least not any more than we already have).

It looks like he has decided he needs a spine he can rely on. He has brought in exactly that. Let's let him do what he is renowned for. Motivating teams to get better results than their 'quality' might suggest they should.

I am slowly coming to respect McIntyre's decisions this month. I hope he doesn't spoil it by signing four or more additional players that will either quickly become dead-weight, or so disrupt the team that we can't get our act together before it's too late.

Edited by Andrak
bloody grammar
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Edit for the repeat post gremlins 

53 minutes ago, Andrak said:

I can't see where the money (or sense ) is for bringing in 4, 5 or even 6 more players.

We make a loss each year. We have had to (or will have to) pay off a number of players to prematurely end their contracts.

Our attendances seem down on previous seasons (maybe someone can confirm).

It looks like we could end up getting no transfer fee income this window (Rangers have neither the money or inclination to financially boost other Scottish Clubs).

Assuming the signings made so far go into the first team, another five would mean a first team change of over 70% in the space of three weeks. I don't know much about football strategy or tactics, but that doesn't sound like a sensible approach to us picking up 20 odd points in the next three months or so.

The signings made so far seem sensible if not overly exciting. It seems to me that it is motivation that will get us to safety this season, not better players (at least not any more than we already have).

It looks like he has decided he needs a spine he can rely on. He has brought in exactly that. Let's let him do what he is renowned for. Motivating teams to get better results than their 'quality' might suggest they should.

I am slowly coming to respect McIntyre's decisions this month. I hope he doesn't spoil it by signing four or more additional players that will either quickly become dead-weight, or so disrupt the team that we can't get our act together before it's too late.

You start off by saying you can't see the sense in bringing in 4, 5 or 6 new players then go on to give positive reasons for bringing in new players. 

2 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

You start off by saying you can't see the sense in bringing in 4, 5 or 6 new players then go on to give positive reasons for bringing in new players. 

More players

8 minutes ago, Andrak said:

More players

We're currently short of numbers though.

24 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

We're currently short of numbers though.

14 fit players is what I make it if AD has indeed been crocked or crocked himself.  This includes two keepers and Jack Lambert, who it is fair to say, hasn't had much first team game time.  Haven't included any of the other youths who have been on the bench recently.

In the meantime we are sending players out on loan and telling others they can continue their existing loans.  JM had better pull a few rabbits out of the hat next week.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

7 minutes ago, Attilio said:

14 fit players is what I make it if AD has indeed been crocked or crocked himself.  This includes two keepers and Jack Lambert, who it is fair to say, hasn't had much first team game time.  Haven't included any of the other youths who have been on the bench recently.

In the meantime we are sending players out on loan and telling others they can continue their existing loans.  JM had better pull a few rabbits out of the hat next week.

I think we've just about got enough to field a side next week without including the frozen out players but moving forward, post window, we're gonna struggle. I'm confident though that things are in hand but it might take a move elsewhere to really kick things off though. Kamara to Rangers could be the catalyst.

Make that 13 players.  I think O'Dea may be suspended for the next two games. If Kasunga is still injured we have one available centre half in Innis. If we don't have any new recruits we could end up having to play Mendy/Moussa/Elton/Madianga.  Can Moussa play centre half?

Things not looking good on the injury front, lets hope we can get a couple in this week, if not we are really down to the bare bones.  Get through the cup game unscathed injury wise would do me at the minute...anything else would be a bonus.

3 minutes ago, Attilio said:

Make that 13 players.  I think O'Dea may be suspended for the next two games. If Kasunga is still injured we have one available centre half in Innis. If we don't have any new recruits we could end up having to play Mendy/Moussa/Elton/Madianga.  Can Moussa play centre half?

Might be the making of moussa? 

FFS we're in a bad way if Davies is crocked 😣😣

Edited by Dens Bound Rhino
The moussa comment was a joke btw ☹️
  • Star Post 1

40 minutes ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

Not only that but a key signing identified by JM as a route to survival imo.

Edited by Dondeh

QoS are flying just now.......next week is a real tough tie for any side, let alone Dundee. They will be very confident coming to Dens especially as Ayr and Pars have already won here.

47 minutes ago, Dens Bound Rhino said:

Might be the making of moussa? 

I'd rather we lost Davies now than in February. If he's out for the season then so be it. The club have got three weeks to find another centre-back.

As things stand I think we have Kusunga and Inniss available for the Queens game so it's not the end of the world.

1 hour ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I think we've just about got enough to field a side next week without including the frozen out players but moving forward, post window, we're gonna struggle. I'm confident though that things are in hand but it might take a move elsewhere to really kick things off though. Kamara to Rangers could be the catalyst.

Agreed, getting rid of Kamara is the next key. If we get him off the books that will free up wages to get another player in, in addition we might negotiate to get players from them in on loan as part of the deal. Likewise if we get any sort of transfer fee, say 50k then that would allow us to probably pay off say Moussa and Elton or Kharl, again that then allows us to start bringing in replacements. So the key to all the next moves for me rests with what happens with Kamara, the only problem is Rangers will play hard ball and it’s unlikely they will do any deal until they return from Dubai. Hopefully that’s this weekend and we start to see movement on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week, but don’t rule out things going towards the end of the window.

We do have this as a team for next week though....

New Keeper

Kerr, Innis, Davis, Ralph,

Curren, McGowan, Woods

Curren, Kallman, Miller

Subs, Lambert, Parish, Moussa (and whoever else).

Thats assuming ODea and Kusunga are both still injured.

Not great, but it could compete with qos.

5 minutes ago, Bjs said:

New Keeper

Kerr, Innis, Davis, Ralph,

Curren, McGowan, Woods

Curren, Kallman, Miller

Subs, Lambert, Parish, Moussa (and whoever else).

Thats assuming ODea and Kusunga are both still injured.

Not great, but it could compete with qos.

Again. 4-3-3 shows how short we are in midfield.

And 18 month contract Davies is supposedly crocked for the foreseeable future 😟 

Edited by Dondeh
But the bench looks strong!.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Again. 4-3-3 shows how short we are in midfield.

And 18 month contract Davies is supposedly crocked for the foreseeable future 😟 

He could've signed a contract for 18 weeks and still got injured today.

sh*t happens unfortunately.

• Like 1

Will a midfield of Curran , McGowan , Woods and whoever else be enough to keep us up?

I’m extremely concerned looking at our midfield and surely we must be bringing in a few midfielders who can improve us?

We are also in desperate need for some creativity in our squad.

I’m surprised that we’ve only brought in 3 player so far. I get the impression that we’re skint and there is very little “funds” available. Basically relying on getting others out the door and for Kamara to go now also to free up some cash.

It’s gonna be a massive task to avoid relegation this season, regardless the fact that we are only 2 points from 11th.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2019 at 14:35, Attilio said:

This transfer window was about one thing for me.  It was to strengthen the squad with a view to keeping us in this league.  Short-termism maybe but if we achieve that goal we can regroup in June and take it again from there.  At this point in time there is nothing more important than keeping our Premier status.

The manager has taken the decision to tell 8 or 9 of our squad that they are surplus to requirements and can do one.  Fair enough and there would now appear to be just the 4 of them left.  Those players that still remain out of that list must now be really motivated-not, so he needs to bring in at least another 3 or 4 but more likely 5 or 6 players, regardless of the not wanted players still being here. It may cost the club but it's almost like a loss leader imo.

Lets be having these new players JM because the two we have just now, whilst welcome, just ain't gonna cut it on their own.  FB, CB, 2 MF, Wide man and striker would make me happier.

Yes where are the signings? We are stuffed unless there are at least 4 new players coming in.