Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The January 2019 Transfer Window Discussion Thread

TheDarkBlues

3 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

It just sounds to me that you don't like/rate Nelms and are using any excuse for a dig. 

United might be happy for Curran to move on for a number of reasons, free up a wage (as we've been trying to do), maybe JM has had a wee word and said he'd be happy to have him and they have a rapport so has made it known he's happy to move.... Maybe him and Neilson are on different wave lengths.... As has been said, we might not have wished to give him 2 and a half years but that's what he held out for and the manager was willing to accept it. Because you have no idea and some football fans (totally level headed bunch to a man) on a forum are happy for him to move on doesn't mean its a bad signing. 

Wait and see, history suggests that at some point they all get labelled as 'sh1t' so I'm sure you're right, terrible signing etc....

I will happily admit that I don’t rate Nelms and think his naivaity is holding the club back. Clearly JM needs to get a lot of players the door to sort out this mess but equally this approach could leave us in an even bigger mess if it doesn’t work out and we go down and JM has signed another 3/4 players on longish term deals who come August might be deemed surplus to requirements costing the club more money again setting us back further. 

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
2 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

I totally understand that I’m just frustrated at us handing out these long terms deals then 6/12 months later that player being deemed surplus to requirements and being paid off. It’s that policy that sees us having clear out after clear out year after year and imo opinion it’s that lack of stability that is holding the club back. 

I don't disagree on the regular clear outs and the trick of getting the contract length right can be crucial. I think most of us would rather have had an extra year or so on Kamara's contract, we'd probably have had a more motivated player for the season, and if he was to go, we'd have got a good wedge for him. They're all gambles, we won't know if this one is a good signing or a poor one for a while yet, JM might be the manager here for a couple years, that's pretty much all of Curran's contract and whether or not you or I consider him a 'marquee manager' or not is irrelevant, if he gets a few years and keeps us safe in the SPL then its all good. Stability also means having a core of players, you don't get that with short term deals, we've shown with the way we've treated McPake that if you're 'one of us' we'll look after you. Its all gambling, some pay off, some don't.

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

There's plenty desperate for us to sign Charlie Adam for 6 months. That deal would likely cost us somewhere in the region of £100k, around about what we're paying Craig Curran!!!!. There wouldn't be a massive difference in monetary terms over the length of their respective contracts, the biggest difference is that JM knows exactly what he's getting from Curran.

I am certainly not desperate for us to sign Charlie Adam unless he is willing to sacrifice his salary to play for the club he supported. Even then I don’t think it would be great considering he ain’t payed for months. 

I just think we are potentially going to a dangerous path again allowing a manager who might not be here in August hand out long term deals.

2 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

I am certainly not desperate for us to sign Charlie Adam unless he is willing to sacrifice his salary to play for the club he supported. Even then I don’t think it would be great considering he ain’t payed for months. 

I just think we are potentially going to a dangerous path again allowing a manager who might not be here in August hand out long term deals.

But what if he is ? If he keeps us up I'd say there was a good chance of it. 

6 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

But what if he is ? If he keeps us up I'd say there was a good chance of it. 

That’s the problem that’s a really big if. I get people won’t agree with my points but just concerned we are yet again handing out long term deals to players that are likely to be ripped up in 6/12 months. 

1 minute ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

That’s the problem that’s a really big if. I get people won’t agree with my points but just concerned we are yet again handing out long term deals to players that are likely to be ripped up in 6/12 months. 

To be honest, I think any signings JM makes will be someone who is interchangeable with premier and championship football, so the 2 year deals could be workable. I’d imagine whoever signs now will be happy playing for us regardless which division we will be in for the start of 19/20. Woods and Curran are 2 signings from 2 that are arguably good enough to play at premier level but content enough to play at championship level. I’d also hazard a guess that their wage requirements will be reflective of this. I just don’t think we’ll see a Scott Allan type boat being pushed out on the risk that a severance package will be needing agreed in 4 months time. 

9 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

If we want stability we should stick with JM. For a lot of us he wasn't the manager we wanted but even if we do go down if we want to 'grow' as a team we need that stability. Its not like he has an awful record, I think the biggest problem is our own personal expectations.

• Like 2

Just now, Chomp my root said:

If we want stability we should stick with JM. For a lot of us he wasn't the manager we wanted but even if we do go down if we want to 'grow' as a team we need that stability. Its not like he has an awful record, I think the biggest problem is our own personal expectations.

I don’t disagree with that but has Nelms not mentioned that he expects an 8th place finish (bonkers if true) which doesn’t suggest JM will still be here if we go down. 

I'm coming round to the idea that we should stick with McIntyre if we end up in the Championship. He's under contract and so is his man Curran. A bit of stability might give us a good chance to bounce straight back up. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

I don’t disagree with that but has Nelms not mentioned that he expects an 8th place finish (bonkers if true) which doesn’t suggest JM will still be here if we go down. 

What managers and CEO's or owners or even players say publicly and what they really expect might be two different things. If Nelms came out and said they were keeching it and they'd bite your hand off tenth... we'd be calling him all sorts for his lack of ambition. I wouldn't get too caught up in the 'paper talk'.

Adblock Detected