The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

I know a lot of you blame McCann for what this season, and it is a fair assumption that he left us in a worse state than before he joined. At the time I felt that he was the wrong choice for the manager position, mainly because due the fact he lacked experience at any level of managing a football team and for the fat we had another 'legend' at the helm of the club. I really wanted to see someone with no ties and a lot more experience take charge.

No one can blame him for taking the manager position when he was offered in the first place. He saved us from relegation and with due hindsight, he should have stayed away after he left with the job well done, with the fans adulation and admiration for a job well done.

I believe he came back with all the best intentions and a desire to see a club that is close to his heart do well, but his lack of experience and his belief in the way he wanted to play come hell or high water was what led to his downfall.

I think that John Nelms should shoulder some of the responsibility for hiring a novice as our manager. If the rumours are true, Jack Ross would have been a great signing for the club, but as we well know, it wasn't mean't to be for some reason or another. I believe that John Nelms was wrong to go back to McCann and should have spent a bit more time trying to bring in someone with a lot more experience.

As for McCann, I will choose to forgo his bad spell as manager and choose to remember him coming on against Raith Rovers and scoring that goal during the Deefiant season. I for one wish him well in the future

• Like 5

Like you I said at the time that he was the wrong appointment, holy sh*t I even said Stevie Wonder could see it.

Unlike you I don't think Nelms should shoulder some of the blame - I think he should shoulder it all. Atrocious appointment by an incompetent MD clearly out of his depth.

• Star Post 7

13 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I think he should shoulder it all.

100% agree.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

100% agree.

Did Prince hack your account? 🤣

• Funny 1

19 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Did Prince hack your account? 🤣

If I knew how I probably would 😉

But seriously I talk a lot of sense............ don't I?

• Funny 1

Listened to his Sportsound interview there, thought he come across well. Clear love for the club and was right in a lot of what he said regarding injuries etc. 

He has his 'philosophy' and IMO, he's 100% right to stick at it and work at it with teams. If it clicks with a club the sky really will be limit for his opportunities - and I personally wish him every ounce of luck in his future endeavours. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Listened to his Sportsound interview there, thought he come across well. Clear love for the club and was right in a lot of what he said regarding injuries etc. 

He has his 'philosophy' and IMO, he's 100% right to stick at it and work at it with teams. If it clicks with a club the sky really will be limit for his opportunities - and I personally wish him every ounce of luck in his future endeavours. 

Did you not find in that interview that, despite the injury list being a valid point, he laboured on it and restated it to the point that it came across as a desperate excuse to cover up his utter failings in other areas eg signing 'projects'?

To me, whilst agreeing with some of what he said, he came across as petty and a little immature. The response to Kevin Holt's comments in particular was very childish, "I'm not going to sling mud but......" then goes on to single Holt out for having to be managed differently and not carrying out instructions on the pitch etc. Very petty imo.

Awful recruitment by NM in the summer and then he expected these below average players to play like Barca - was never going to work.

NM had to be sacked but i wouldnt have sacked him for JM - as im no really any more confident with JM in keeping us up than i was with NM.... Only hope is get dross out in JAN and bring in 3 or 4 players who`ll make the difference , do a think JM will bring in good players - NO but time will tell

41 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

To me, whilst agreeing with some of what he said, he came across as petty and a little immature. The response to Kevin Holt's comments in particular was very childish, "I'm not going to sling mud but......" then goes on to single Holt out for having to be managed differently and not carrying out instructions on the pitch etc. Very petty imo.

Strangely, I thought he handled that question well. I didn't see any need in what Holt come out and said so it's only fair McCann defended himself and put his point across, which was quite eye opening in itself. 

I agree to a point with you about the point on injuries but that fud Michael Stewart was sitting doing his Chris Sutton impersonation so I, again, felt McCann had every right to repeat himself so Stewart would actually listen to what was being said. 

Noticed he singled out Madianga for praise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Strangely, I thought he handled that question well. I didn't see any need in what Holt come out and said so it's only fair McCann defended himself and put his point across, which was quite eye opening in itself. 

I agree to a point with you about the point on injuries but that fud Michael Stewart was sitting doing his Chris Sutton impersonation so I, again, felt McCann had every right to repeat himself so Stewart would actually listen to what was being said. 

Noticed he singled out Madianga for praise. 

Have to say, was very amusing and quite satisfying hearing Stewart squirm when they mentioned his Tweet about the side being much improved under McIntyre. Put him right on the spot whilst sitting next to McCann 🤣

As for the point on Holt, definitely within his rights to defend himself, just the way he went about it made it seem petty, the whole "I'm not going to sling mud but....."

Edited by Ricky Spanish
  • Funny 1

What's the story here?

McCann on gardening leave (full pay) yet summarising on Sky and being interviewed on BBC Sportsound?

Anybody got a clue how this can come about?

Seem to remember McCoist on gardening leave from The Rangers and couldn't do his BT stuff until a certain time had elapsed. 🤔

18 minutes ago, Budgem said:

What's the story here?

McCann on gardening leave (full pay) yet summarising on Sky and being interviewed on BBC Sportsound?

Anybody got a clue how this can come about?

Seem to remember McCoist on gardening leave from The Rangers and couldn't do his BT stuff until a certain time had elapsed. 🤔

So financially he is better off than ever? Couldnae mak it up. Hope he gets screwed over the EBT.

37 minutes ago, Budgem said:

What's the story here?

McCann on gardening leave (full pay) 

Is he? 

Where have you seen this? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Where, from what I believe, he'll really need to mature is in handling individuals within a squad. Heard a few stories now from guys that have no real vested interest but are friendly with some of our squad that it was very much a two tier system under McCann. If he signed you, you had a chance to settle, if he didn't, then every mistake was dissected in front of the rest of the dressing room. Guys didn't have a problem being taken to task but the double standards undermined him big time. That said, I'll take that as hear say and not fact because it was just idle chat.

I'm not sure he'll ever get a gig at a club with the budget to make his ideas really come to fruition but I've no axe to grind with the guy and hope he can make it work somewhere and get it right up folks like me who have failed to share his vision.

1 minute ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Is he? 

Where have you seen this? 

News to me as well.

41 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

Where, from what I believe, he'll really need to mature is in handling individuals within a squad. Heard a few stories now from guys that have no real vested interest but are friendly with some of our squad that it was very much a two tier system under McCann. If he signed you, you had a chance to settle, if he didn't, then every mistake was dissected in front of the rest of the dressing room. Guys didn't have a problem being taken to task but the double standards undermined him big time. That said, I'll take that as hear say and not fact because it was just idle chat.

I'm not sure he'll ever get a gig at a club with the budget to make his ideas really come to fruition but I've no axe to grind with the guy and hope he can make it work somewhere and get it right up folks like me who have failed to share his vision.

This sums it up nicely I think. 

A lot to learn before he can speak about philosophies and identities

Unfortunately another example of our club trying to run long before it can walk  

He said that we were recognised as a good footballing side, who didn’t score enough goals, and were a bit soft at the back. But there was an identity to it. Unfortunately, I think he’s kidding himself on.

21 minutes ago, Budgem said:

Believe me.

No problem we'll just believe you.

Highly likely that he could have been put on garden leave when asked to do one. However when you go on garden leave it tends to be under the condition that you cannot work and earn money elsewhere (hence the term). It's highly likely that a condition of going on garden leave would be that if he found paid work elsewhere his contract would be considered to be ended. I'd hope that would be the case or possibly he's done Sky etc. voluntarily (yeah right).

Another possibility is that he was employed as a contractor to Dundee FC via an agency under a limited company called 'Neil McCann Ltd.' or the like and that it's the company that can't earn money elsewhere. In that case there would be nothing to stop him forming another limited company 'Useless Failure Of A Manager Ltd.' or the like and contracting to Sky or BBC through that company.

Anyway I'm just glad the impostor is no longer with us and if it is costing a packet to support him further that Keyes is looking at Nelms and saying 'time to get shot of you'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bp33 said:

He said that we were recognised as a good footballing side, who didn’t score enough goals, and were a bit soft at the back. But there was an identity to it. Unfortunately, I think he’s kidding himself on.

Does that description - pretty on the eye for no reason but ships goals - not equal easily beaten?

1 minute ago, Prince Buster said:

No problem we'll just believe you.

Highly likely that he could have been put on garden leave when asked to do one. However when you go on garden leave it tends to be under the condition that you cannot work and earn money elsewhere (hence the term). It's highly likely that a condition of going on garden leave would be that if he found paid work elsewhere his contract would be considered to be ended. I'd hope that would be the case or possibly he's done Sky etc. voluntarily (yeah right).

Another possibility is that he was employed as a contractor to Dundee FC via an agency under a limited company called 'Neil McCann Ltd.' or the like and that it's the company that can't earn money elsewhere. In that case there would be nothing to stop him forming another limited company 'Useless Failure Of A Manager Ltd.' or the like and contracting to Sky or BBC through that company.

Anyway I'm just glad the impostor is no longer with us and if it is costing a packet to support him further that Keyes is looking at Nelms and saying 'time to get shot of you'.

Even if McCann was allowed to work while on gardening leave, surely one of the conditions of his continued payment would be that he couldn't discuss his time at the club?

I listened to the interview and found myself getting wound up by him. On about the team had established an identity of passing the ball out the back! Only identity I seen was that we were the worst team in fn Europe by the time he got sacked! 

Just now, Barkblue said:

Even if McCann was allowed to work while on gardening leave, surely one of the conditions of his continued payment would be that he couldn't discuss his time at the club?

Hmmm, not sure. My only experience was signing an agreement not to take proprietary information and use it in other places for the term of the garden leave (one month notice period). I certainly wouldn't have agreed to not being able to discuss my time at the company.

1 minute ago, BigG said:

I listened to the interview and found myself getting wound up by him. On about the team had established an identity of passing the ball out the back! Only identity I seen was that we were the worst team in fn Europe by the time he got sacked! 

See that's the fallacy. We passed the ball around the back, to the midfield, back to the defence, to the keeper and then hoofed it long.