The Dark Blues
UWTB1893

News:Curran Crosses the Road To Join Dundee

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

We have several players who have players who have played 16 times but they are out the door.  I would rather see him in actiion for 6 months with a promise for an extension if he does well.

In an ideal world we'd all want that. I'm 100% certain though that if the club offered him a short term deal and he turned out to be a star that they'd be slated for not offering him longer. 

Why the Fook can't people just accept that some players will fit certain clubs more than others. I'm all for opinions but we've got a chunk of posters on here who've condemned the boy before he's even set foot on the park.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

Let me put it this way. I don't know  how  long he's been proffesional I'm guerssing 10 years and in that time he's had 7 clubs. IMO not the ideal person to be handing out long term contracts to.

Guessing?. Better get a lottery ticket on then.

7 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

Let me put it this way. I don't know  how  long he's been proffesional I'm guerssing 10 years and in that time he's had 7 clubs. IMO not the ideal person to be handing out long term contracts to.

Fair enough, don't agree with your logic but you seem dead set on him being a poor signing so go for it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

In an ideal world we'd all want that. I'm 100% certain though that if the club offered him a short term deal and he turned out to be a star that they'd be slated for not offering him longer. 

Why the Fook can't people just accept that some players will fit certain clubs more than others. I'm all for opinions but we've got a chunk of posters on here who've condemned the boy before he's even set foot on the park.

I've come to accept that some people are more interested in the howling at the moon/mob mentality side of football than they are about the kicking a baw about side of it. :(

Still don't like it mind.

• Like 1

Just now, Chomp my root said:

Fair enough, don't agree with your logic but you seem dead set on him being a poor signing so go for it.

I'm sorry  Chomp I never once said the guy was a poor signing, I have no idea how good or bad he is, I just suggested that a 2.5 year deal for a player on his seventh team was too long.

26 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

Will Curran be able to settle quickly playing in this league? Can he perform at this level? Does he have the right mental attributes to get on with the manager and the rest of the squad? Will the manager know where best to play him? We don't have to worry about any of this. McIntyre can throw him into the team and like Woods we can probably expect an immediate positive return from the guy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

I'm sorry  Chomp I never once said the guy was a poor signing, I have no idea how good or bad he is, I just suggested that a 2.5 year deal for a player on his seventh team was too long.

All this '2.5 / 3 year dea'l doesn't mean anything unless you know the weekly wage or total liability the contract has. The difference between a two year deal at £1000 per week and a 3 year deal at £650 per week for instance.  From what I have heard this contract until 2021 isn't costing as much as you might think.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

7 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

You've certainly implied it. 

Please don't make me go back through looking for your Nuneaton quotes and stuff about 'can't get a game for United' stuff etc.

For someone who has "no idea how good or bad he is" you've been quite critical of his record.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Will Curran be able to settle quickly playing in this league? Can he perform at this level? Does he have the right mental attributes to get on with the manager and the rest of the squad? Will the manager know where best to play him? We don't have to worry about any of this. McIntyre can throw him into the team and like Woods and we can probably expect an immediate positive return from the guy.

I have no knowledge of the guy but I'm happy that the manager does and as you say, Curran has knowledge of the manager and how he likes to play. In the absence of any knowledge, I have no need to have a strong opinion on the guy, I'm willing to wait and see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomp my root said:

I have no knowledge of the guy but I'm happy that the manager does and as you say, Curran has knowledge of the manager and how he likes to play. In the absence of any knowledge, I have no need to have a strong opinion on the guy, I'm willing to wait and see.

The manager got his man. We might as well feel optimistic or at least neutral about the player until he's pulled on the jersey. It's not as if we're deprived of the opportunity to feel negative and miserable when games are actually being played!

• Funny 1

You've certainly implied it. 

Please don't make me go back through looking for your Nuneaton quotes and stuff about 'can't get a game for United' stuff etc.

For someone who has "no idea how good or bad he is" you've been quite critical of his record.

Your right  IMO on paper his record  is not worth a long term contract. If you want to read implications into my post that's you perogative.

• Wowzer 1

4 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

Your right  IMO on paper his record  is not worth a long term contract. If you want to read implications into my post that's you perogative.

We all do it.

24 minutes ago, Travellingdee said:

Read post No.52.

I think even if we offered him a 5yr contract on the minimum wage rather than the 18 months, on SPL wages, that many are suggesting you'd still argue that 5yrs was too long.

I think, and quite understandably so, some folks reservations (not mine actually, I'll wait and see on Curran and hope he does well) is that we've been repeatedly bitten by bad, longer contracts over recent times.

I'm guessing the length of deal here is more for convenience and to ensure we got the deal done quickly so we can move onto the next target, but I do understand when the squad is filled with guys on longer contracts that we now want rid of, that adding more guys on the same sort of deals feels like the same risk.

Right now I'm of the opinion that we get through this season, hopefully survive and then take it from there. If that's not how it pans out we might be in real trouble with a shitload of guys on long term deals that we can't afford or don't want in the Championship. It's difficult to emphasise just how pivotal the next few months could be.

4 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Read post No.52.

I think even if we offered him a 5yr contract on the minimum wage rather than the 18 months, on SPL wages, that many are suggesting you'd still argue that 5yrs was too long.

To be fair, as I've suggested above, I do think people's worry DO come form the contract length more than the wage.

It comes from the bad deals we've handed out over the past few years and the ongoing issues moving players on or settling their contracts after that.

59 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

To be fair, as I've suggested above, I do think people's worry DO come form the contract length more than the wage.

It comes from the bad deals we've handed out over the past few years and the ongoing issues moving players on or settling their contracts after that.

I totally get what people's concerns are but I can't see how they can be so concerned WITHOUT factoring in the wage. We could quite possibly be paying him a lower wage over a longer term. If he turns out to be sh**e and we decide to pay him off the pay off might work out just the same as paying off an 18 month SPL contract.

• Like 2

Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I totally get what people's concerns are but I can't see how they can be concerned WITHOUT factoring in the wage. We could quite possibly be paying him a lower wage over a longer term. If he turns out to be sh**e and we decide to pay him off the pay off might work out just the same as paying off an 18 month SPL contract.

I'm not disagreeing at all Rev - at the moment I'm only looking at the next few months and then we'll see what happens.

However, I do understand that the length of contract could worry folk if the move doesn't go well. We already have 5 guys on the books we don't want but can't move on, so folk are worried he might be another of those.

I'd guess that those worries are more 'once bitten twice shy' than they are about how good or bad the player, or in fact the deal, is. Although there are folk simply calling the player sh**e and that's obviously another matter entirely 

2 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I totally get what people's concerns are but I can't see how they can be concerned WITHOUT factoring in the wage. We could quite possibly be paying him a lower wage over a longer term. If he turns out to be sh**e and we decide to pay him off the pay off might work out just the same as paying off an 18 month SPL contract.

I think that was his deal at Tannadice, at his insistence, and it looks like he may have went down the same road here.  Offered a two year deal at X but wanted a 3 year deal at a lower wage. Same total amount of money. Security of the longer deal I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Attilio said:

I think that was his deal at Tannadice, at his insistence, and it looks like he may have went down the same road here.  Offered a two year deal at X but wanted a 3 year deal at a lower wage. Same total amount of money. Security of the longer deal I suppose. 

Maybe looking for a settled family life for wife/kids, its understandable, not everyone likes moving every year or two.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

Maybe looking for a settled family life for wife/kids, its understandable, not everyone likes moving every year or two.

Marcus Haber never liked moving a yard or two, never mind every year or two!

1 minute ago, Chomp my root said:

After thinking about it for a few minutes when I first heard this I could see some sense in it.  Bonuses for scoring goals (?) and win bonuses as well to top it up maybe?  Having said that win bonuses have been as rare as rocking horse sh*t recently.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

12 minutes ago, Attilio said:

After thinking about it for a few minutes when I first heard this I could see some sense in it.  Bonuses for scoring goals (?) and win bonuses as well to top it up maybe?  Having said that win bonuses have been as rare as rocking horse sh*t recently.

Quite likely, I'd think. With an apparent history of short-term deals/moves, and having signed a 3-year deal (often referred to by media as "financial security") with the arabs, it's entirely possible that he may have bought a house, with a mortgage, might have young kids/school-age kids & keen to stay in the area. He may have managed to get the remainder of that 3-year term matched by us, but none of us have a clue what the cost to the club is, or what clauses might be included relating to relegation, so there seems little point in getting worked up about it.

1 minute ago, WoodStein said:

Quite likely, I'd think. With an apparent history of short-term deals/moves, and having signed a 3-year deal (often referred to by media as "financial security") with the arabs, it's entirely possible that he may have bought a house, with a mortgage, might have young kids/school-age kids & keen to stay in the area. He may have managed to get the remainder of that 3-year term matched by us, but none of us have a clue what the cost to the club is, or what clauses might be included relating to relegation, so there seems little point in getting worked up about it.

Not a universally popular notion mate. :rant:

Speaking to a Utd supporter today and he was laughing at Dundee having signed Curran. Said that Curran will give 100% but that's about it. Can't believe that they've managed to get him off their books. I guess only time will tell. 

Not a universally popular notion mate. 

I know.....but why worry about sh*t we have no control over :)  

• Like 1