The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Scottish Cup  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dundee play a full-strength team in the cup?

• Yes, we want to go all the way
    • No, survival is all that matters
  2. 2. How far do you think Dundee will go?

Less that two weeks until the Doonhamers come to Dens. Thoughts for this year's competition?

8 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Less that two weeks until the Doonhamers come to Dens. Thoughts for this year's competition?

I find both of those questions virtually impossible to answer mate.

I think we should field our strongest team at the time because it gives the players the first opportunity to play together (presuming there are a few new faces in there) and to gel. I'd rather we did that in the cup and either won the game and built confidence, or simply build better understandings between the players.

As for how far we can go? No idea. We could beat QotS but no one will be surprised if we don't, but if we do we could draw Albion Rovers next or Celtic, so it's total guess work. Not that that usually stops us! 🙂 

Field the strongest team, cup tie Kamara. Get to the last 16, draw Celtic. Bye Bye. 

1 minute ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Field the strongest team, cup tie Kamara. Get to the last 16, draw Celtic. Bye Bye. 

Loving that bit especially.

Win it..I can accept relegation....I'm 46 and have saw us win diddly squat (not counting diddy cups or leagues)

• Wowzer 1
  • Like 1

I was gutted when we lost at Ibrox in the cup because we were safe from the drop, we had some real quality in our team and most of the big clubs were in a bad way. That was our big chance.

This season it's all about survival for me. We don't have the players to win the trophy and the competition will be fierce in the latter stages so I'd rather focus on staying up.

• Like 1

I'd expect JM will want to play whatever his 'first choice' team is by then, to get one competitive game in before the league restarts 4 days later.

We should win this one, but Naismith seems to be doing a decent job with QoS, and any half chances that fall to Dobbie will likely be put away...so I hope the defence has been sorted out! If we get through, I'd guess we'll exit the first time we meet an SPL team.....probably Celtic.

Re Kamara, cup-tieing him won't matter, he's not going to Ibrox till summer.....unless they change their minds & offer a fee before the window closes, but this clearly isn't their plan.

ps....none of us were alive when we last won the SC, I'm sure we can wait a year or two longer ;) 

Rangers might take Kamara on deadline day if the player's apathy level hits a new low, forcing the club to offer him a free transfer just to get rid of him.

20 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Could be a useful bargaining chip with The Rangers if they're playing hardball but if they're happy to wait until next season then its down to the manager to figure out if his heart is in it. I'm generally not a spiteful type but I'd have him nowhere near the team. 

Undecided if I should fork out for this one further as so disillusioned but no doubt I will be there!!

The major decision is should I buy my ticket for my usual seat in The Derry or get one for the main stand to vent my feelings to the BOD re this seasons situation and their new stadium proposal which im still not convinced about but then im very much a traditionalist!!!??

Maybe better for all (except The Derry side Linesman) if I take my normal seat!! ;oD

A sign of the season we're having, the current available squad and our recent seasons cup exploits I guess that almost half of those who voted (including me) don't think we'll get past Queen Of The South at Dens (or a replay).

I'm pretty used to us getting knocked out the cups from lower league opposition every season now.

Funnily enough, 10 years or so ago, you always fancied us to go on a run and now and again we did.

Fkn grim being a Dee the last two to three years.

44 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Funnily enough, 10 years or so ago, you always fancied us to go on a run and now and again we did.

Depends what you're after. Sure, we had the odd cup run. We were losing at home to Clyde and struggling to get out of the league behind the likes of Hamilton and Inverness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

A sign of the season we're having, the current available squad and our recent seasons cup exploits I guess that almost half of those who voted (including me) don't think we'll get past Queen Of The South at Dens (or a replay).

I'm pretty used to us getting knocked out the cups from lower league opposition every season now.

To be fair, since the winter break has been introduced, teams in the top flight have struggled much more against second tier teams - most of the games going to a replay. Not excusing it but it just seems to be that we (whilst other top flight teams have generally had each other or someone further down the setup) invariably get a second tier team who are much sharper and trip up.

In a average season, I'd be a bit apprehensive about going into this game for that reason and it's been especially bad this year with a new team being built so I think it's unlikely we'll go through.

I'll say we'll lose to QotS and County will beat Motherwell as two 'upsets'.

Just now, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I think we'll Fookin stroll it. 

Totally agree. This is going to be a full dress rehearsal for the following league game and if anyone thinks JM is going to "save" his better players and lose an opportunity to blend any new signings, IMO, they are badly mistaken.

4 minutes ago, BCram said:

Totally agree. This is going to be a full dress rehearsal for the following league game and if anyone thinks JM is going to "save" his better players and lose an opportunity to blend any new signings, IMO, they are badly mistaken.

There's always going to be ups and downs supporting a club like Dundee. I'm optimistic though that, with the planned new signings, the whole club will get a lift. JM will work us hard over the next 2 weeks and I think our new direct approach and intensity will be too much for QOS to handle. 

2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I think we'll Fookin stroll it. 

2 hours ago, BCram said:

Totally agree. 

Honestly can't think of a single reason to back this up and can think of several which would suggest we won't but obviously hope you're both correct.

7 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Honestly can't think of a single reason to back this up and can think of several which would suggest we won't but obviously hope you're both correct.

It's a bit like Miracle on 34th Street. In God We Trust, in this case JM and the new boys whoever they are!!!

• Like 3

A few EPL teams blew it over the weekend. Itwont be a weakened team that will lose it for, more likely attitude. We need to be spot on for this tie.

2 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

A few EPL teams blew it over the weekend. Itwont be a weakened team that will lose it for, more likely attitude. We need to be spot on for this tie.

I'm hoping that our attitude will for the first time in a long time be totally focused on this game. It's vital that we get in a serious shift to blend the players and I don't think JM will be treating this like a behind closed doors training session.

1 hour ago, BCram said:

It's a bit like Miracle on 34th Street. In God We Trust, in this case JM and the new boys whoever they are!!!

It'll take more than a miracle I think, in my head we're currently in the final and 2-1 up. 5 minutes to play.

I'll keep you posted.

Play our strongest team. Yes we’ll win the cup! 

Seen Dundee be relegated and promoted plenty times. The only guarantee with Dundee is that both will happen again plenty times in my lifetime. Winning the Scottish Cup is not so guaranteed. So I’d take us winning the Scottish Cup and being relegated absolutely. 

Play your best team and we have the best chance of going through which will give us confidence in the league. Don’t do that and we will probably get beat. A first round defeat to QotS is only going to further the apathy amongst some of our support. 

If someone knocks Celtic out then the competition is open. We are capable in a 1 off game of beating anyone except Celtic. Believe! 

• Like 1

It's 2153 on Monday 7th January and 10% of those that have voted think we're going to win it.

I mean, I'm mixed up and often deluded but come on now folks.

• Funny 3

9 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

It's 2153 on Monday 7th January and 10% of those that have voted think we're going to win it.

I mean, I'm mixed up and often deluded but come on now folks.

You've got to dream. I convinced myself during a 12hr nightshift last week that I was gonna win £100k on a scratch card. £2 was close enough.😂

1 hour ago, Edin_Dee said:

We are capable in a 1 off game of beating anyone except Celtic. Believe! 

Celtic are p**h.