The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Klopp has never won a trophy in England. He's away from home in the cup against arguably the best team outside the top six and he thinks it's a good idea to play a B team and to give debuts to kids. I'm glad they got knocked out.

1 hour ago, Derekgow said:

Sad part is, so are they.

Had a similar conversation this morning, I think they see the Cups as a distraction.

• Like 1

The only people who value the FA Cup are the supporters.

The media have been harping in about how EPL clubs don’t value it, play weakened teams and put it behind league and European competitions. This is an absolute embarrassment considering the way in which the games were staggered across the weekend there.

1x Fri Night 19:45

7x Sat 12:30

10x Sat 15:00

5x Sat 17:30

7x Sun 14:00

1x Sun 17:30

1x Mon 19:45

With regard to Liverpool specifically, Jamie Carragher, a leading pundit has openely said he has no issues with Liverpool’s starting XI and that Man City and Spurs playing more games is more valuable than the 4/6 point lead they have.

Fans are getting shafted in the name of money and it’s depressing. Association cups should not be sponsored imo, it sickens me to see ‘The William Hill Scottish Cup’ or ‘The Emirates FA Cup’.

The FA Cup has been ruined and money / tv / sponsorship are the major culprits.

We all want more investment in the Scottish game, but we can’t let it ruin the sport for the fans like it has down in England. This is why, for me, Scottish Football is 100x better than the English game at the moment.

Edited by SM1893
  • Like 1

No big club that can win the league are intrested in the fa cup now no money in it for them

I thought it was refreshing when Mourinho first arrived and he insisted on playing his best players even in the League Cup and even against weak opposition. Journalists were bemused and his response was he wanted to win every competition he entered. He won a trophy at the first attempt and that led to more as success breeds success.

Contrast that to Pochettino who recently said he was gutted that he's not won a trophy at Spurs. Maybe if he hadn't insisted on using the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League to field back-up players they might have won something. Klopp appears to be of the same mindset. Only two trophies matter. The problem with that is you can miss out on those two every season and end up with f**k all silverware.

I think it was Wenger who started the practice of using the cups for squad players and kids. Fergie joined in and now it's almost an expectation that you'll see a top club play with a team of unfamiliar names.

Great result for football. Big teams getting beat by minnows is exactly what football fans want to see and hear about. Get our League Cup, Scottish Cup, FA Cup etc back on terrestrial TV for all the rounds.

Financially, the domestic cups are worth pretty much nothing financially - the big pressure is on the league campaign and doing as best as you can in Europe. Maybe not nice etc but to a manager who is looking at the big picture long-term and thinking of job security, they won't really take it in the same way. Liverpool, for example, are in a position they've not been in a long time and have had a hectic calendar, the very last thing they need is for a big player to break down so they won't take the chance in a game like that; winning the league is worth so much - you could argubably be talking at least £1 billion when you look at how it even just changes the marketability of the club. Spurs have always had that tough slog for CL football and seem to really be needing it with their financial situation.

I think Mourinho went for it because it was kind of his style to go out all guns blazing in everything with the mindset that winning breeds confidence etc. His teams have always been prone to complete breakdowns and there's that theory about players being destroyed by it when they reach the third season. SAF was similar some extent but I think when he had a proper side who were capable of challenging in Europe, he adapted and reigned it in - the success of him was that they often still achieved trophies just because their squad were that good and he got the tactics right so often.

The only way you'll get the FA Cup competitive again - a Champions League place guaranteed for the winner or the next best runner up (either in the final or some sort of third placed play-off). People would hate that and it would feel very wrong but I think it would rebalance things so that pretty much all of the top flight clubs can't give up on it. It has improved the Europa League I think as teams see it as a second chance - Man Utd qualified under Mourinho through it.

The league cup was the first cup that 'fell victim' to squad rotation, as soon as it lost its status as a route into european competition...probably longer ago than I think. It probably was Wenger who triggered this, as I recall he built a big squad in establishing his 'empire', and used it well to develop many of his very astute young signings. I guess this had to happen in one of the competitions, and the LC was the obvious one.

The FA Cup, though, still holds a historical appeal & status to many in the game, and it's surprising that Klopp made such significant changes, especially against another EPL club that's had some big wins recently. Playing your nr.2 keeper is fine, as is giving some fringe players a full game, but it must be disappointing for fans to see almost a full reserve side being played in some games. 

From memory, I think Arsenal & Chelsea have featured slightly stronger sides in the later stages of the FA Cup in the last decade, and won 7 of the last 10 finals between them, but I'd agree it seems odd that some 'new' EPL managers don't see winning that cup as being a springboard for further success.

It'll be interesting to see the team Pochettino fields in the LC semi with Chelsea tonight, and of course Sari has his first opportunity to reach a final. I still find it astonishing that there are two legs in this cup semi, when so many rounds have gone to a 'no replay' format. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

The league cup was the first cup that 'fell victim' to squad rotation, as soon as it lost its status as a route into european competition...probably longer ago than I think. It probably was Wenger who triggered this, as I recall he built a big squad in establishing his 'empire', and used it well to develop many of his very astute young signings. I guess this had to happen in one of the competitions, and the LC was the obvious one.

The FA Cup, though, still holds a historical appeal & status to many in the game, and it's surprising that Klopp made such significant changes, especially against another EPL club that's had some big wins recently. Playing your nr.2 keeper is fine, as is giving some fringe players a full game, but it must be disappointing for fans to see almost a full reserve side being played in some games. 

From memory, I think Arsenal & Chelsea have featured slightly stronger sides in the later stages of the FA Cup in the last decade, and won 7 of the last 10 finals between them, but I'd agree it seems odd that some 'new' EPL managers don't see winning that cup as being a springboard for further success.

It'll be interesting to see the team Pochettino fields in the LC semi with Chelsea tonight, and of course Sari has his first opportunity to reach a final. I still find it astonishing that there are two legs in this cup semi, when so many rounds have gone to a 'no replay' format. 

Arsenal, under Wenger, were the first team I remember using the LC as a training ground for their young stars.  It was the first time I caught a glimpse of the young Fabregas as a 16 year old in that competition.

I can't help but think, with regard to the financial disparity between the League and Cup competitions, that many managers/coaches may be under strict 'guidance' from the club owners as to their priorities.  In that regard many foreign owners may get the 'glory' aspect of the FA Cup whereas some may not care less.  £107m for finishing 17th in the EPL last year and £3.6m for winning the FA Cup this year?

6 hours ago, Attilio said:

£107m for finishing 17th in the EPL last year and £3.6m for winning the FA Cup this year?

In a nutshell. Clubs would be absolutely stupid to chase the League or even FA cup dream when they're fighting for their lives or even worse - fighting for a Champions League spot. Far too much money at risk for romance of the cup.

Very poor selection from Klopp.

His record in the FA cup is a disgrace to the great club.

If he goes on to win the league or gets to another CL final this season, fine, it will be forgotten about but you don't go to a good Premiership team away from home, make 9 changes and expect nothing other than to get put out.

The worst bit was - the 16 year old at the back was better than the £47 million pound man in midfield.