The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Not sure if anyone else finds this interesting but this is the oldest map of the city.

I believe there was a burn that flowed down to the Tay (possibly passing through what is now Dens) but they redirected it at some point.

ywv0zrd.jpg

Yes, Cobra, I've been a 'map addict' most of my life, and have been to a couple of presentations on 'mapping old Dundee' since I moved back to the area. My interest began through my very early hillwalking experience & geography at school, but I started taking an interest in the old maps from reading antique Scottish travel & history books, which sometimes have small hand-drawn maps in similar style to this one. 

It's interesting to see some of the old names of what we now recognise as districts of Dundee (& surrounding towns), which at the time were maybe just a single, but large, house (eg Balgay, Blackness, Dudyp, Drybrugh) some of which the mapmaker drew as wee images....and Dundee was Dun-Tay back then.

The burn you refer to is probably the north-east tributary (runs south-west from just under the middle of the "W: Clepington" text) of the one that runs from the north side of 'Duntay Law', to the south-east, just under the "DVN-TAY" text (the "D" of which might be roughly where Dens is), and probably entering the Tay somewhere to the east of East Port, I guess. The routes of the burns/wee rivers are a bit erratic, eg the Dighty appears to run much closer to the Tay than it does, along The Ferry/Barnhill towards where it joins the Tay in Monifieth.

You'd have to do a lot of travel around the area on horseback/foot, at that time, to gather the amount of detail included in this map!

For anyone interested in finding where they grew up, or live today :), the full map, which covers an area from Perth to Arbroath, and north to Kirrie, can be downloaded from this link from the National Library of Scotland:

https://maps.nls.uk/rec/289

• Like 3

On 09/01/2019 at 00:36, WoodStein said:

Yes, Cobra, I've been a 'map addict' most of my life, and have been to a couple of presentations on 'mapping old Dundee' since I moved back to the area. My interest began through my very early hillwalking experience & geography at school, but I started taking an interest in the old maps from reading antique Scottish travel & history books, which sometimes have small hand-drawn maps in similar style to this one. 

It's interesting to see some of the old names of what we now recognise as districts of Dundee (& surrounding towns), which at the time were maybe just a single, but large, house (eg Balgay, Blackness, Dudyp, Drybrugh) some of which the mapmaker drew as wee images....and Dundee was Dun-Tay back then.

The burn you refer to is probably the north-east tributary (runs south-west from just under the middle of the "W: Clepington" text) of the one that runs from the north side of 'Duntay Law', to the south-east, just under the "DVN-TAY" text (the "D" of which might be roughly where Dens is), and probably entering the Tay somewhere to the east of East Port, I guess. The routes of the burns/wee rivers are a bit erratic, eg the Dighty appears to run much closer to the Tay than it does, along The Ferry/Barnhill towards where it joins the Tay in Monifieth.

You'd have to do a lot of travel around the area on horseback/foot, at that time, to gather the amount of detail included in this map!

For anyone interested in finding where they grew up, or live today :), the full map, which covers an area from Perth to Arbroath, and north to Kirrie, can be downloaded from this link from the National Library of Scotland:

https://maps.nls.uk/rec/289

The burn you may be referring to could be the Gelly burn or one of its tributaries. It ran through Ardler coming from what is now the Downfield golf course and down Gilburn (Gillyburn) Rd before meeting the Dighty somewhere around Mill Of Mains/Caird Park.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

The burn you may be referring to could be the Gelly burn or one of its tributaries. It ran through Ardler coming from what is now the Downfield golf course and down Gilburn (Gillyburn) Rd before meeting the Dighty somewhere around Mill Of Mains/Caird Park.

Back in the late 1960’s on hot days we used to take a drink of the water out of the Gelly Burn when we played golf at Downfield Golf Club. 

I would certainly not do it now as the Gelly Burn is full of muck swept down from all the effluent sprayed on the fields by farmers up country.

Could be why Dens road looks like a river every time there's torrential rain.

I worked in a shop on the Hilltown from the mid 70's & when they were digging the underpass and it was halted again because they had hit water, an elderly gentleman commented to us in the shop "why are they surprised? It's not called Wellgate & Ladywell etc, for nothing."

😂

• Like 1