The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

I've just binge-watched this show on Netflix the last day or so and it's great car-crash entertainment. It was brought to my attention by Newcastle fans (who were singing "We saw you crying on Netflix" the other night) and I had to check it out.

It's the story of Sunderland's second relegation in successive season. It starts off with the smug ex-Rangers chief Martin Bain talking about how confident they are that they'll return to the Premier League and it ends up with fans attacking the Netflix cameras as the team goes into freefall.

Highly recommended. If only we had a Dundee United version.

• Funny 1

I'm a few episodes in, Coleman has just come in. Feel a bit sorry for Grayson as he comes across as a really nice guy but just doesn't seem like he knows how to handle the job.

Enjoying Martin Bain's world tumbling down around him. You can see at the start how happy he is to be in front of the camera and it's quite clear he's trying to create this character. He negates to mention that much of their policy that put them in the position they are in was down to him.

Bain arrived in 2016 and left in 2018 so oversaw two relegations during his brief tenure. He was at the forefront of all the deals so he has to share a lot of blame. Like you say though he doesn't seem to think he's responsible for the mess.

The one player banging in the goals was Grabban and Coleman managed to alienate him by subbing him repeatedly so Grabban got his loan deal cancelled. I can't believe their billionaire owner Ellis Short didn't offer to put a little money in to help them get out of trouble. Instead they were forced to rely on a young loan signing from Boro for goals. Ridiculous for a club of that size.

I only got one & a half episodes into the amazon 'epic' on Man City, before becoming totally bored, so I suspect I'll not get much further with this one (which I'd noticed on Netflix recommendations, and ignored, for that reason). However, both Cobra's & Harry's comments hint that there could be some 'fun' value in this, so I guess I'll have a look. 

The Arab version lives on in 'condensed' format, with the full 'pre/match/post' 4 hours recording of BT's Doon Derby coverage. All their hopes, the greetin' adults, and Barry Robson's face when Chris Sutton responded to Robson's claim that most Dundee fans really wanted the derbies to continue, with "oh for goodness sake, Barry, the Dundee fans want to bury United tonight".  :lol2:  

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I only got one & a half episodes into the amazon 'epic' on Man City, before becoming totally bored, so I suspect I'll not get much further with this one (which I'd noticed on Netflix recommendations, and ignored, for that reason). However, both Cobra's & Harry's comments hint that there could be some 'fun' value in this, so I guess I'll have a look. 

The Arab version lives on in 'condensed' format, with the full 'pre/match/post' 4 hours recording of BT's Doon Derby coverage. All their hopes, the greetin' adults, and Barry Robson's face when Chris Sutton responded to Robson's claim that most Dundee fans really wanted the derbies to continue, with "oh for goodness sake, Barry, the Dundee fans want to bury United tonight".  :lol2:  

Oh no I don't fancy watching the Man City one. Winning teams mean everyone is happy and getting along (boring if not Dundee). What you want is failure, conflict, anger and backstabbing... What you want is Aiden McGeady bitching about Chris Coleman's tactics, Jack "robbing us blind" Rodwell refusing to walk away from his £70k contract or even making himself available to play and Coleman losing it after being called a prick. So many good moments although I had to fast-forward past the Jonny Williams depression segment. I can only take so much doom and gloom!

The Man City one is amazing. I ended up absolutely engrossed every time Pep spoke. It was good to see it from the other side, too. You think these massive clubs who spend should be winning everything but it's great to see the camaraderie and how they keep the squad together. The Kitman from the scheme in Manchester being a massive part of keeping the dressing room together is brilliant entertainment. I thoroughly recommend giving it a watch. 

As for the Sunderland documentary. Like Harry I felt sorry for Grayson. He come across as completely defeated and just going through the motions. Coleman is full of self importance and it was great to see him brought crashing back to Earth after the Wales run. He seemed to always know he was on camera and was playing Mr Nice Guy. McGeady tearing him apart was hilarious. 

The filming continues - the cameras have been rolling since Jack Ross’ arrival.

Was curious to see Grayson devastated that Sunderland were unable to get McCormack. Amazing to think he's joined a much smaller club 18 months later. Wonder how Motherwell managed to pull that off.

18 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

The filming continues - the cameras have been rolling since Jack Ross’ arrival.

I did wonder if they were going to do a second series. Surprised that it's happening given that a totally new regime has taken over.

Can't help thinking that if Sunderland had stayed up Jack Ross might have come to Dens to manage his own team.

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Can't help thinking that if Sunderland had stayed up Jack Ross might have come to Dens to manage his own team.

Sliding doors moment that..

Unfortunately they went down and we ended up with a pundit signing diddies like Moussa 😢

Series 2 has got to be:

“Dundee United - ‘Till they lose”

5 hours ago, WoodStein said:

Lucky lad if you have it recorded entirely - I only have my memories of the night and whatever I can find on Youtube. You want to burn a few copies to DVD and flog them at the games.

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

Oh no I don't fancy watching the Man City one. Winning teams mean everyone is happy and getting along (boring if not Dundee). What you want is failure, conflict, anger and backstabbing... What you want is Aiden McGeady bitching about Chris Coleman's tactics, Jack "robbing us blind" Rodwell refusing to walk away from his £70k contract or even making himself available to play and Coleman losing it after being called a prick. So many good moments although I had to fast-forward past the Jonny Williams depression segment. I can only take so much doom and gloom!

Cobra, as a lifelong Dee, you should have built up an immunity to 'doom & gloom' by now!

• Funny 1
  • Like 1

Just watched the series over 2 nights. Much better than the MCFC docu.

Some interesting 'comparisons' with DFC. The issues around finances and having to sign motivated loan players in a relegation battle. Trying to tempt potential signings to a club at the bottom of the league. Trying to get dud and non interested players off the books. New signings getting injured. A goal keeper with a hand injury. Players questioning the Manager's methods.

Also that tw*t McGeady living up to his 'reputation' when complaining about Coleman playing 4-3-3 in a game. He complained he'd never played that formation before and didn't know what to do. WTF?

On 09/01/2019 at 16:23, Cobra said:

What you want is failure, conflict, anger and backstabbing... What you want is Aiden McGeady bitching about Chris Coleman's tactics, Jack "robbing us blind" Rodwell refusing to walk away from his £70k contract or even making himself available to play and Coleman losing it after being called a prick. So many good moments although I had to fast-forward past the Jonny Williams depression segment. I can only take so much doom and gloom!

Finally watched the Sunderland series this week, and agree with pretty much all the earlier comments. I felt at time like I was watching a condensed parallel of Dundee's last few decades, although on a much grander scale in every possible way.....money & facilities, but especially the conflict, anger & backstabbing :)  

McGeady looked & sounded a bit of a weasel with his attack on Coleman, but had a fairly stark message, that they just weren't trained or set up in the right way to deal with their situation. Rodwell....wow, hard to imagine any club taking him on after that, and I bet he didn't go near Sunderland restaurants or clubs that season. The fans the producers followed throughout the season were a healthy mix of angry, philosophical, loyal, unrealistic & emotional....certainly a good representation of what it's like to be 'born into it' & there for life, not just on a fleeting visit, like the owners, managers, players. 

If they are doing a follow-up season, of what appears to be their revival in league 1, should be quite interesting....but with less drama.  

• Like 3

I'm watching this at the moment so no spoilers. :rolleyes: Just watched the middle aged guy trying to square up to Coleman outside the ground. Oh dear.

Really enjoying it though.

Really heartwarming to hear and see some of the dedicated staff that worked at the club. Some real characters.

And to witness one of them (a women who worked in the kitchen), describing the text that Coleman sent her (after he was sacked).   

Edited by Dondeh
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Really heartwarming to hear and see some of the dedicated staff that worked at the club. Some real characters.

And to witness one of them (a women who worked in the kitchen), describing the text that Coleman sent her (after he was sacked).   

Coleman came out of it looking like a genuinely nice guy. John O'Shea the same, saying to the wifie chef that he would pop in the following week to see her (the closed season I took it as). 

• Like 1