Jump to content
The Dark Blues
Harry94

DFCSS Email - Purchase of Shares

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Islaydarkblue said:

I would have thought that a request from the club or £12,000 towards the purchase of the Oor Bobby statue was kind of obvious especially as here was a debit of £12,000 in the DFCSS annual accounts for the year ending 31st May 2017 resulting in a loss for the year of over £5,000.

Someone previously asked what the society had donated to the club. If something similar was to happen in the future I would suggest matched funding. 

As PB suggests though FPS actually asked for £16k but you are claiming they asked for £12k. The link you posted DOESN'T back up your version of events unfortunately. You've altered the wording of your post to suit your version of events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

As PB suggests though FPS actually asked for £16k but you are claiming they asked for £12k. The link you posted DOESN'T back up your version of events unfortunately. You've altered the wording of your post to suit your version of events.

According to the enclosed Evening Telegraph article the Oor Bobby statue was sold for £12,000. Why would FPS ask for £16,000 if the statue was sold at auction for £12,000. https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/bucket-trail-auction-bought-oor-wullies-will-end2/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Islaydarkblue said:

According to the enclosed Evening Telegraph article the Oor Bobby statue was sold for £12,000. Why would FPS ask for £16,000 if the statue was sold at auction for £12,000. https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/bucket-trail-auction-bought-oor-wullies-will-end2/

I give up mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll clear this one up. The figures below are approximate so don't shoot the messenger.

I was under the impression (memory fault) that the sculpture went for £16,000 but reading the tully article it looks like it was £12,000 and it was the DAB one that was £16,000 - bought by Steven Thomson. To be honest I've read on the other forum where the society gets ripped up for bog roll that it was £16,000 and that figure must have stuck in my head.

A significant amount was raised by crowdfunding, about £3,000 if my poor memory serves, and one person made a pledge of £1,000 that was followed through on so around £4,000 was donated to the sculpture by individuals who wanted to see the statue reside at Dens instead of disappearing into some warehouse or loft or the like. 

The money donated went into DFCSS coffers so strictly speaking yes they did release £12,000 to purchase it, however in reality it would have been around £8,000 of society funds that went toward the purchase.

The fans rep at the time was in a meeting at Dens and was told that the club would like to secure the sculpture in the upcoming sale; he was asked to approach the DFCSS board and clear its purchase which he did and clearance to do so was given. It was expected that the sculpture could go for as much as £5,000 so a crowdfund was created to raise as much of the cash as possible and if it had been the case that these things went for that kind of money donations would just about have covered it - the rest is history on that point and, for me, the prices that these things went for was beyond ridiculous and I'm convinced that some dodgy goings on were pushing the prices up (but that's an aside). 

The club in effect wanted it but wanted it for nothing, that's why they asked the society to purchase it. I know for a fact that the fans rep made his enquiries and registered to bid, turned up on the night and went all out to get it, even texting other board members to authorise increased spending when it became clear that prices were ridiculously high and arranging to get a society cheque brought in because his credit card wasn't going to cover it and it had to be paid on the night.

In summary

The club did not ask for a donation. The club did not offer to help with the cost. The society went all out to get it. The club took the statue quite happily and did not even do the society the courtesy of a thank you letter. However I also know for a fact that the fans rep was congratulated by the BoD on getting it. Then he was criticised for raising some of the money by crowdfunding.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Was BCG not referring to the Brexit comment?. Maybe I've misinterpreted it but that's what I took from his post. Inform the government about Brexit kind of thing as they don't have a clue about it. 

Thank you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I'll clear this one up. The figures below are approximate so don't shoot the messenger.

I was under the impression (memory fault) that the sculpture went for £16,000 but reading the tully article it looks like it was £12,000 and it was the DAB one that was £16,000 - bought by Steven Thomson. To be honest I've read on the other forum where the society gets ripped up for bog roll that it was £16,000 and that figure must have stuck in my head.

A significant amount was raised by crowdfunding, about £3,000 if my poor memory serves, and one person made a pledge of £1,000 that was followed through on so around £4,000 was donated to the sculpture by individuals who wanted to see the statue reside at Dens instead of disappearing into some warehouse or loft or the like. 

The money donated went into DFCSS coffers so strictly speaking yes they did release £12,000 to purchase it, however in reality it would have been around £8,000 of society funds that went toward the purchase.

The fans rep at the time was in a meeting at Dens and was told that the club would like to secure the sculpture in the upcoming sale; he was asked to approach the DFCSS board and clear its purchase which he did and clearance to do so was given. It was expected that the sculpture could go for as much as £5,000 so a crowdfund was created to raise as much of the cash as possible and if it had been the case that these things went for that kind of money donations would just about have covered it - the rest is history on that point and, for me, the prices that these things went for was beyond ridiculous and I'm convinced that some dodgy goings on were pushing the prices up (but that's an aside). 

The club in effect wanted it but wanted it for nothing, that's why they asked the society to purchase it. I know for a fact that the fans rep made his enquiries and registered to bid, turned up on the night and went all out to get it, even texting other board members to authorise increased spending when it became clear that prices were ridiculously high and arranging to get a society cheque brought in because his credit card wasn't going to cover it and it had to be paid on the night.

In summary

The club did not ask for a donation. The club did not offer to help with the cost. The society went all out to get it. The club took the statue quite happily and did not even do the society the courtesy of a thank you letter. However I also know for a fact that the fans rep was congratulated by the BoD on getting it. Then he was criticised for raising some of the money by crowdfunding.

Ouch. Club keeps being shown up as cold.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:34, Chomp my root said:

I'm basing my fears on the email from DFCSS, the same one as Harry published at the top of the thread. While we can speculate on FPS's motives, there are certain 'facts' that are out there. 

I speculate that DFCSS would have no problem with a move to Nou Campy but if the club are worried about this I'm sure it could be nailed down quite easily without DFCSS having to give up all their other 'enshrined' rights. Rights that were put in place to prevent someone waltzing in and changing our club out of recognition. The guys who 'dragged their heels' dotting all these I's and crossing all these T's were vilified at the time for putting these measures in place instead of just dropping to their knees and noshing off FPS. We've been through the ringer as fans and its easy to worry about NOW rather than the longer term, surely FPS could explain to us (whether that's the fans as a whole or at least the Society Board so they can inform their members) what it is they actually want.

Exactly. No shares should be transferred to Americans of any kind ever, do not lose control over OUR  club. I voted against the Yanks at the Gardyne years ago and was heckled by a load of baldy headed idiots. Where are you now guys. I knew this woud happen if we relinquished fan control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Johan scott said:

Exactly. No shares should be transferred to Americans of any kind ever, do not lose control over OUR  club. I voted against the Yanks at the Gardyne years ago and was heckled by a load of baldy headed idiots. Where are you now guys. I knew this woud happen if we relinquished fan control.

Were you at the meeting today mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.