The Dark Blues
harry94

Andrew Davies - Officially Signs

Rate this topic

Dundee have completed the signing of former Hartlepool and Ross County captain Andrew Davies on an 18 month deal. Davies is a 34 year old centre back and played under McIntyre at County.

• Like 3

I’m just worried that the signings so far are no better than the players we are letting go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spiritof62 said:

I’m just worried that the signings so far are no better than the players we are letting go.

Guess we'll find out in May.

The manager maybe thinks we'll do better with players who are used to his way of playing better than the ones he had at his disposal. 

People may criticise this next instalment of the reincarnation of Ross County 2015, but I’m happy with this addition. I think it’s indicative of the position JM is in that he has to go back to look at his old warriors rather than look for new potential ‘fits’. He needs people he trusts and that he knows will do a job, there is no breathing space for the untested and no time to develop team bonding. By introducing players that already know each other within the group might make things slightly more seamless. By signing players he’s worked with before he know what he’s getting. I’m warming to the prudent approach JM is taking into this relegation battle. Let’s hope the fighting spirit of Woods, Curran and Davies will be infectious amongst those tool-downers that will remain from McCann’s horrific tenure!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

Livi don't have better players than us. They're just organised and committed.

I'm confident that the team we're building will pick up the points needed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spiritof62 said:

It possible that they're not. I'm thinking that JM has signed them based on their mentality. The boys he's signed so far are good professionals who'll work their balls off for the team and the manager. There's a few who fall into that category already at Dens but certainly not too many.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

It possible that they're not. I'm thinking the JM has signed them based on their mentality. The boys he's signed so far are good professionals who'll work their balls off for the team and the manager. There's a few who fall into that category already at Dens but certainly not too many.

I reckon Davies a bit better than Boyle? Also leadership ability - we could do with some of that

• Like 1

Teams got a spine now at least

• Like 1

I remember him from county. certainly took no prisoners at that time.  He needs to stay fit though.

Another battler, the sort of player we fans will get right behind.

A few more of these and we may just turn this around.

I think Hartlepool mentioned he was being released to take up a player/coach role with us, but haven't (yet) seen anything about the coaching aspect locally....this may account for the 18 months.

With no Meekings, and Kusunga having occasional injury absences, I hope Davies is fit & can stay fit, he certainly had some strong performances for County at Dens.

Once JM is happy with his 'reliable spine', hopefully he might add a couple of loanees who'll add some flair to the side. 

Davies for me will be like a slightly better version of James McPake. He will prob be our best defender.

Will give his all for the club and offer us a goal threat at set pieces etc. Is a real leader and will definitely improve us.

If he is fit....

• Like 1

Davies and O Dea. Solid. Winners. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 8utters said:

Another battler, the sort of player we fans will get right behind.

A few more of these and we may just turn this around.

You’re right mate - crowd loves someone with a bit of mettle and dig about them. Lifting the atmosphere to that Deefient level would make dens somewhere teams don’t fancy visiting. Lately it’s been a great jolly , view of the V and A , three points, pudding supper and home . b*****ds

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

You’re right mate - crowd loves someone with a bit of mettle and dig about them. Lifting the atmosphere to that Deefient level would make dens somewhere teams don’t fancy visiting. Lately it’s been a great jolly , view of the V and A , three points, pudding supper and home . b*****ds

You're easily pleased mate.😂

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

Livi don't have better players than us. They're just organised and committed.

Got to be joking Cobra , agree Livi don't have world beaters and are organised but cant say they don't have better players than ours , ours are fcking murder.

Re the signing - are we just signings ex Ross County players who are either p1sh or finished at this level.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

You're easily pleased mate.😂

Not for me the jolly !!! The opposition!!

1 hour ago, WoodStein said:

I think Hartlepool mentioned he was being released to take up a player/coach role with us, but haven't (yet) seen anything about the coaching aspect locally....this may account for the 18 months.

With no Meekings, and Kusunga having occasional injury absences, I hope Davies is fit & can stay fit, he certainly had some strong performances for County at Dens.

Once JM is happy with his 'reliable spine', hopefully he might add a couple of loanees who'll add some flair to the side. 

Just a theory but maybe we're looking (hoping) for a solid 5 months until the end of the season, have him round the squad until the following January as cover/off field 'character' then release him/pay him off.

Of course if he's looking to get into coaching then he might be happy to combine the roles more next season so we'll not be seeing him as a coach until the summer ????

Guess we'll find out soon enough. :D

Happy with this, someone with a bit of steel and isn’t afraid to put his body on the line for the cause.

Interesting couple of days coming up with more bodies required

41 minutes ago, CC33 said:

Got to be joking Cobra , agree Livi don't have world beaters and are organised but cant say they don't have better players than ours , ours are fcking murder.

Re the signing - are we just signings ex Ross County players who are either p1sh or finished at this level.

Livi have been the surprise package this season. Nobody was expecting them to be so organised and aggressive and so good at set pieces. I think by next season they'll have been found out though as they are very limited.

Their defence has been together for years going back to their time in League One and that's helped them a lot.

How many of their players would we take off them this summer though if we had the chance? Maybe the centre-back Halkett, who was excellent at Dens recently, and Lawless, who we should really have tried to get from Partick ourselves, but that's probably it.

4 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Livi have been the surprise package this season. Nobody was expecting them to be so organised and aggressive and so good at set pieces. I think by next season they'll have been found out though as they are very limited.

Their defence has been together for years going back to their time in League One and that's helped them a lot.

How many of their players would we take off them this summer though if we had the chance? Maybe the centre-back Halkett, who was excellent at Dens recently, and Lawless, who we should really have tried to get from Partick ourselves, but that's probably it.

I did hear a rumour that we were looking to get Declan Gallagher back but nothing seems to have come of it.