The Dark Blues
Harry94

Andrew Davies - Officially Signs

Rate this topic

Hartlepool fans said it was a joke how often he got injured so I suppose it's our own fault if we end up with another Nicky Low situation.

• Star Post 1

10 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Hartlepool fans said it was a joke how often he got injured so I suppose it's our own fault if we end up with another Nicky Low situation.

Looks like they may be right 😞

13 minutes ago, Cobra said:

If this is true it eclipses any other injury situation we’ve ever had! Grim 

What a day. Injury-ravaged Ayr lose in Inveress, ten-man County are thrashed 4-0 by our cup opponents Queens, United score a late winner, Waddell scores an OG, GGH is sent off and to top it all off our new signing has apparently broke his foot. 

I don't know what the opposite of a Carlsberg weekend is. Maybe a Buckfast weekend.

Just as well Dundee are not playing today!

25 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Really hope it's not true, but if it is, why oh why sign, a guy that was Not totally Fit very often in 2018, couldn't make it up, we do it all the time, just sign. Crocks and hope they will get fitter, playing for us. Jobs for mates, comes to mind.😢😢😢😢😢

Don’t know what to believe but I know 100% that we were playing St Johnstone today in a bounce game.

I reckon it’s true :( 

Apparently wasn't even in a tackle. Got the p*ss ripped out him and just crumbled.

9 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Apparently wasn't even in a tackle. Got the p*ss ripped out him and just crumbled.

Regardless of how it happened (if it even happened) it's a big blow to the player, the manager and ultimately the club. 

It'll be right up some people's street though.🙄

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Rocky Boy said:

Really hope it's not true, but if it is, why oh why sign, a guy that was Not totally Fit very often in 2018, couldn't make it up, we do it all the time, just sign. Crocks and hope they will get fitter, playing for us. Jobs for mates, comes to mind.😢😢😢😢😢

We sign guys with a bad injury history like Meekings, Thomson, Low and Davies because I think we see it as a cheaper route to success but it's a bit of a disaster when you have to pay a player to sit in the stand for six months to a year.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

We sign guys with a bad injury history like Meekings, Thomson, Low and Davies because I think we see it as a cheaper route to success but it's a bit of a disaster when you have to pay a player to sit in the stand for six months to a year.

My thoughts Exactly, we just do learn from our numerous, previous mistakes.

11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Regardless of how it happened (if it even happened) it's a big blow to the player, the manager and ultimately the club. 

It'll be right up some people's street though.🙄

Correct on all counts. Hope it's nothing remotely serious as I do rate the fella.  sh*t happens unfortunately but if you're looking for a stick...

• Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Big part of the team for second half of the season and big impact expected of Davies by JM imo. Already completed 2 interviews on DEETV (one was twice the duration of the Manager's).

Cheque book out for the umpteenth time Mr Keyes (if true).

Edited by Dondeh

Do we know if this is true yet, maybe he was injured but he would have had to get X-rays to confirm if foot was broken?

• Like 1

This sounds like a freak injury, it's not a muscle injury or a tendon injury that players often suffer from by the sounds of things. The fittest players in the world can suffer from these freak injuries. Sean Higgins didn't have a long history of injuries and broke his foot. David Beckham, one of the fittest players of his era, broke his foot. Wayne Rooney is another. It just sounds like incredibly bad luck. If it'd been a reoccurrence of a long standing injury or something he'd been nursing then fair enough JM can be held accountable. This seems like something unforseen that has just came down to sh*t luck.

I honestly don't see the benefit in berating the managers decision to sign a trusted player to aid our relegation battle though. Quality players don't come to Dundee without there being some level of risk involved. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gblue said:

Do we know if this is true yet, maybe he was injured but he would have had to get X-rays to confirm if foot was broken?

Very good point G.

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

This sounds like a freak injury, it's not a muscle injury or a tendon injury that players often suffer from by the sounds of things. The fittest players in the world can suffer from these freak injuries. Sean Higgins didn't have a long history of injuries and broke his foot. David Beckham, one of the fittest players of his era, broke his foot. Wayne Rooney is another. It just sounds like incredibly bad luck. If it'd been a reoccurrence of a long standing injury or something he'd been nursing then fair enough JM should be held accountable. This seems like something unforseen that has just came down to sh*t luck.

I honestly don't see the benefit in berating the managers decision to sign a trusted player to aid our relegation battle. Quality players don't come to Dundee without there being some level of risk involved. 

I believe that once a footballer recovers from one bad injury he often instinctively overprotects that area of his body to prevent that injury recurring but in doing so creates strains elsewhere and that can lead to new injuries in other parts of the body.

I think that's what happens to players like Kevin Thomson and Gareth Bale. It is obviously unlucky but once you've been seriously crocked you are much more susceptible to new injuries.

Dundee do need to take risks but on reflection it doesn't feel like signing players renowned for being injured has worked out too well for us in recent years.

6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I believe that once a footballer recovers from one bad injury he often instinctively overprotects that area of his body to prevent that injury recurring but in doing so creates strains elsewhere and that can lead to new injuries in other parts of the body.

I think that's what happens to players like Kevin Thomson and Gareth Bale. It is obviously unlucky but once you've been seriously crocked you are much more susceptible to new injuries.

Dundee do need to take risks but on reflection it doesn't feel like signing players renowned for being injured has worked out too well for us in recent years.

Has Davies been seriously crocked?. I know he's referred to something very early in his career but I'm not aware of anything serious for a good while with him. Seems more like his playing style and age have led to niggling injuries rather than a player trying to protect a serious past injury picking up new injuries. 

22 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Has Davies been seriously crocked?. I know he's referred to something very early in his career but I'm not aware of anything serious for a good while with him. Seems more like his playing style and age have led to niggling injuries rather than a player trying to protect a serious past injury picking up new injuries. 

Well he suffered a serious knee injury and had an operation when he was at Stoke and nearly retired. He had another knee operation when he was at Bradford. Ross County's survival hopes suffered last season when he missed a chunk of their season with a thigh problem and after being made club captain at Hartlepool in the summer he's just been released because of numerous fitness issues.

I think it's fair to say the guy has been plagued with injuries throughout his career and at 34 was definitely a risk for Dundee. Maybe it was worth giving him a deal in the hope he could stay fit and help us stay up, I don't know.

12 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Well he suffered a serious knee injury and had an operation when he was at Stoke and nearly retired. He had another knee operation when he was at Bradford. Ross County's survival hopes suffered last season when he missed a chunk of their season with a thigh problem and after being made club captain at Hartlepool in the summer he's just been released because of numerous fitness issues.

I think it's fair to say the guy has been plagued with injuries throughout his career and at 34 was definitely a risk for Dundee. Maybe it was worth giving him a deal in the hope he could stay fit and help us stay up, I don't know.

I'm only going on what the player has said himself re serious injuries. There's no doubting he's had his fair share of injuries but I put that down to age and playing style because I wasn't aware of any recent serious stuff that he'd potentially be trying to protect. He sounds like he's broken a bone in his foot which, to me, sound like a stroke of bad luck rather than anything else. Exercise, particularly the type of stuff that Davies does for a living, normally increases bone density so you'd think if anything his bones would be a lot stronger than the average person. 

22 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I don't think it's really fair to say that. It was definitely a risk with his current state but he's only really had one issue in his career since last year and has mostly been an almost ever present player. Even this season at his worst apparently, he's pretty much been available for around half of the games gone.

2 hours ago, Harry94 said:

Rumour has it, he's just broken his foot in a bounce match against St Johnstone....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! 😫

FFS!

2 minutes ago, Budgem said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! 😫

FFS!

Looks like you're feeling his pain mate.

1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Looks like you're feeling his pain mate.

Honestly, ya couldnae make it up! 🙁

10 minutes ago, Budgem said:

Honestly, ya couldnae make it up! 🙁

We don't need to make it up.  We are Dundee and we kind of invented this. Having said that some of the times the luck is with you ( Hamilton and Buddies being as shyte as we are) and sometimes it swings the other way.

• Like 1