Jump to content
The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
harry94

Andrew Davies - Officially Signs

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

We sign guys with a bad injury history like Meekings, Thomson, Low and Davies because I think we see it as a cheaper route to success but it's a bit of a disaster when you have to pay a player to sit in the stand for six months to a year.

My thoughts Exactly, we just do learn from our numerous, previous mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Regardless of how it happened (if it even happened) it's a big blow to the player, the manager and ultimately the club. 

It'll be right up some people's street though.🙄

Correct on all counts. Hope it's nothing remotely serious as I do rate the fella.  sh*t happens unfortunately but if you're looking for a stick...

  • Like 2
  • Star Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big part of the team for second half of the season and big impact expected of Davies by JM imo. Already completed 2 interviews on DEETV (one was twice the duration of the Manager's).

Cheque book out for the umpteenth time Mr Keyes (if true).

 

 

Edited by Dondeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know if this is true yet, maybe he was injured but he would have had to get X-rays to confirm if foot was broken?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds like a freak injury, it's not a muscle injury or a tendon injury that players often suffer from by the sounds of things. The fittest players in the world can suffer from these freak injuries. Sean Higgins didn't have a long history of injuries and broke his foot. David Beckham, one of the fittest players of his era, broke his foot. Wayne Rooney is another. It just sounds like incredibly bad luck. If it'd been a reoccurrence of a long standing injury or something he'd been nursing then fair enough JM can be held accountable. This seems like something unforseen that has just came down to sh*t luck.

I honestly don't see the benefit in berating the managers decision to sign a trusted player to aid our relegation battle though. Quality players don't come to Dundee without there being some level of risk involved. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gblue said:

Do we know if this is true yet, maybe he was injured but he would have had to get X-rays to confirm if foot was broken?

Very good point G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

This sounds like a freak injury, it's not a muscle injury or a tendon injury that players often suffer from by the sounds of things. The fittest players in the world can suffer from these freak injuries. Sean Higgins didn't have a long history of injuries and broke his foot. David Beckham, one of the fittest players of his era, broke his foot. Wayne Rooney is another. It just sounds like incredibly bad luck. If it'd been a reoccurrence of a long standing injury or something he'd been nursing then fair enough JM should be held accountable. This seems like something unforseen that has just came down to sh*t luck.

I honestly don't see the benefit in berating the managers decision to sign a trusted player to aid our relegation battle. Quality players don't come to Dundee without there being some level of risk involved. 

I believe that once a footballer recovers from one bad injury he often instinctively overprotects that area of his body to prevent that injury recurring but in doing so creates strains elsewhere and that can lead to new injuries in other parts of the body.

I think that's what happens to players like Kevin Thomson and Gareth Bale. It is obviously unlucky but once you've been seriously crocked you are much more susceptible to new injuries.

Dundee do need to take risks but on reflection it doesn't feel like signing players renowned for being injured has worked out too well for us in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I believe that once a footballer recovers from one bad injury he often instinctively overprotects that area of his body to prevent that injury recurring but in doing so creates strains elsewhere and that can lead to new injuries in other parts of the body.

I think that's what happens to players like Kevin Thomson and Gareth Bale. It is obviously unlucky but once you've been seriously crocked you are much more susceptible to new injuries.

Dundee do need to take risks but on reflection it doesn't feel like signing players renowned for being injured has worked out too well for us in recent years.

Has Davies been seriously crocked?. I know he's referred to something very early in his career but I'm not aware of anything serious for a good while with him. Seems more like his playing style and age have led to niggling injuries rather than a player trying to protect a serious past injury picking up new injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Has Davies been seriously crocked?. I know he's referred to something very early in his career but I'm not aware of anything serious for a good while with him. Seems more like his playing style and age have led to niggling injuries rather than a player trying to protect a serious past injury picking up new injuries. 

Well he suffered a serious knee injury and had an operation when he was at Stoke and nearly retired. He had another knee operation when he was at Bradford. Ross County's survival hopes suffered last season when he missed a chunk of their season with a thigh problem and after being made club captain at Hartlepool in the summer he's just been released because of numerous fitness issues.

I think it's fair to say the guy has been plagued with injuries throughout his career and at 34 was definitely a risk for Dundee. Maybe it was worth giving him a deal in the hope he could stay fit and help us stay up, I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Well he suffered a serious knee injury and had an operation when he was at Stoke and nearly retired. He had another knee operation when he was at Bradford. Ross County's survival hopes suffered last season when he missed a chunk of their season with a thigh problem and after being made club captain at Hartlepool in the summer he's just been released because of numerous fitness issues.

I think it's fair to say the guy has been plagued with injuries throughout his career and at 34 was definitely a risk for Dundee. Maybe it was worth giving him a deal in the hope he could stay fit and help us stay up, I don't know.

I'm only going on what the player has said himself re serious injuries. There's no doubting he's had his fair share of injuries but I put that down to age and playing style because I wasn't aware of any recent serious stuff that he'd potentially be trying to protect. He sounds like he's broken a bone in his foot which, to me, sound like a stroke of bad luck rather than anything else. Exercise, particularly the type of stuff that Davies does for a living, normally increases bone density so you'd think if anything his bones would be a lot stronger than the average person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Well he suffered a serious knee injury and had an operation when he was at Stoke and nearly retired. He had another knee operation when he was at Bradford. Ross County's survival hopes suffered last season when he missed a chunk of their season with a thigh problem and after being made club captain at Hartlepool in the summer he's just been released because of numerous fitness issues.

I think it's fair to say the guy has been plagued with injuries throughout his career and at 34 was definitely a risk for Dundee. Maybe it was worth giving him a deal in the hope he could stay fit and help us stay up, I don't know.

I don't think it's really fair to say that. It was definitely a risk with his current state but he's only really had one issue in his career since last year and has mostly been an almost ever present player. Even this season at his worst apparently, he's pretty much been available for around half of the games gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry94 said:

Rumour has it, he's just broken his foot in a bounce match against St Johnstone....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! 😫

FFS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Budgem said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! 😫

FFS!

Looks like you're feeling his pain mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Looks like you're feeling his pain mate.

Honestly, ya couldnae make it up! 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Budgem said:

Honestly, ya couldnae make it up! 🙁

We don't need to make it up.  We are Dundee and we kind of invented this. Having said that some of the times the luck is with you ( Hamilton and Buddies being as shyte as we are) and sometimes it swings the other way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hearing he has done his cruciate ligament  probably wont see him in Dark blue this season i would reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thegen65 said:

I am hearing he has done his cruciate ligament  probably wont see him in Dark blue this season i would reckon.

Incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thegen65 said:

I am hearing he has done his cruciate ligament  probably wont see him in Dark blue this season i would reckon.

He should man up...I went in the goal when I did mines 😀

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Charliedee said:

He should man up...I went in the goal when I did mines 😀

Brilliant 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.