Jump to content
The Dark Blues
Harry94

Seny Dieng - Officially Signs

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

Pretty poor comment IMO. 

 

26 minutes ago, Generic0201 said:

Poor comment that. Not the greatest but has potential to be a good keeper 

We are in danger of going down with this squad and  imo the GK position is one of the problem areas. 

We've got another keeper in. Perhaps the No 1 from what many others have been suggesting, long before me on this thread.

[feverish looking back of posts ensues] 

 

Edited by Dondeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

 

We are in danger of going down with this squad and  imo the GK position is one of the problem areas. 

We've got another keeper in. Perhaps the No 1 from what many others have been suggesting, long before me on this thread.

[feverish looking back of posts ensues] 

 

No excuse for saying an injury that will prevent a professional, no matter how good or bad you think he is, from doing his job is a blessing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dondeh said:

 

We are in danger of going down with this squad and  imo the GK position is one of the problem areas. 

We've got another keeper in. Perhaps the No 1 from what many others have been suggesting, long before me on this thread.

[feverish looking back of posts ensues] 

 

I asked the poster who claimed that Dieng was to be installed as our new No.1 if they could verify that info. I've honestly never seen this anywhere else and was genuinely interested.

I'm still awaiting a response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I asked the poster who claimed that Dieng was to be installed as our new No.1 if they could verify that info. I've honestly never seen this anywhere else and was genuinely interested.

I'm still awaiting a response.

It was dios himself @TheDarkBlues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it would be a huge surprise if McIntyre intended to make his own signing our new number one. Also I wonder if a Championship club would want to send a promising keeper up to Dundee to warm the bench for six months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WeighorstsWang said:

I know we disagree on it but this really gets to me. He's a professional keeper and it shouldn't matter his position, he should be more than comfortable with the ball at his feet and his kicking should be spot on. Better than 50% of defenders, I'd argue. 

He was certainly comfortable enough at the start of the season. 

Actually we completely agree on this WW. Hamilton is the singularly worst footballer I've ever seen with the ball at his feet (maybe Jim Leighton was worse?) and it's incredible that after being a professional for so long that he hasn't mastered controlling a ball and kicking it.

I'm not so sure he did look comfortable enough at the start of the season either to be honest and reckon part of the reason he was dropped was down to his panicking when the ball was passed back to him.

What hasn't helped him (or Bain or Parish) is the lack of height in the team, so from goal and free kicks he's often being asked to pick out Curran or Ralph (last season and before it was Kevin Holt or Mark O'Hara), who are basically standing on the touchline. Hence it isn't that much of a surprise when the ball sometimes flies over their head and straight out of play. Or even if Kallman is playing then he is the one and only real target.

What I was getting at is that with Hamilton apparently being so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, ideally, if we're going to play him (appreciate he's injured now) then we should give him less of the ball and especially in tight situations. None of which excuses how bad he's been at times in these situations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

Actually we completely agree on this WW. Hamilton is the singularly worst footballer I've ever seen with the ball at his feet (maybe Jim Leighton was worse?) and it's incredible that after being a professional for so long that he hasn't mastered controlling a ball and kicking it.

I'm not so sure he did look comfortable enough at the start of the season either to be honest and reckon part of the reason he was dropped was down to his panicking when the ball was passed back to him.

What hasn't helped him (or Bain or Parish) is the lack of height in the team, so from goal and free kicks he's often being asked to pick out Curran or Ralph (last season and before it was Kevin Holt or Mark O'Hara), who are basically standing on the touchline. Hence it isn't that much of a surprise when the ball sometimes flies over their head and straight out of play. Or even if Kallman is playing then he is the one and only real target.

What I was getting at is that with Hamilton apparently being so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, ideally, if we're going to play him (appreciate he's injured now) then we should give him less of the ball and especially in tight situations. None of which excuses how bad he's been at times in these situations. 

I have always said that goalies cannae play football.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I have always said that goalies cannae play football.

Tell Thomson Allan that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Dieng will be number 1 for the rest of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Barkblue said:

Actually we completely agree on this WW. Hamilton is the singularly worst footballer I've ever seen with the ball at his feet (maybe Jim Leighton was worse?) and it's incredible that after being a professional for so long that he hasn't mastered controlling a ball and kicking it.

I'm not so sure he did look comfortable enough at the start of the season either to be honest and reckon part of the reason he was dropped was down to his panicking when the ball was passed back to him.

What hasn't helped him (or Bain or Parish) is the lack of height in the team, so from goal and free kicks he's often being asked to pick out Curran or Ralph (last season and before it was Kevin Holt or Mark O'Hara), who are basically standing on the touchline. Hence it isn't that much of a surprise when the ball sometimes flies over their head and straight out of play. Or even if Kallman is playing then he is the one and only real target.

What I was getting at is that with Hamilton apparently being so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, ideally, if we're going to play him (appreciate he's injured now) then we should give him less of the ball and especially in tight situations. None of which excuses how bad he's been at times in these situations. 

Maybe a wee bit harsh on Hamilton that. Jim Leighton went from being a top International goalkeeper at Man Utd to an unwanted misfit practically overnight due to the passback rule. Brilliant goalkeeper, even when he arrived here but the new rule absolutely killed his confidence. Big Rab had a lot of trouble with kicking too with a couple of high profile blunders if my memory serves me right. Saying all that kicking is a huge part of a goalkeepers game nowadays so Hamilton probably should be doing a wee bit better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

Maybe a wee bit harsh on Hamilton that. Jim Leighton went from being a top International goalkeeper at Man Utd to an unwanted misfit practically overnight due to the passback rule. Brilliant goalkeeper, even when he arrived here but the new rule absolutely killed his confidence. Big Rab had a lot of trouble with kicking too with a couple of high profile blunders if my memory serves me right. Saying all that kicking is a huge part of a goalkeepers game nowadays so Hamilton probably should be doing a wee bit better. 

Yeah maybe a wee bit harsh I suppose. However at least (for him, not us) Leighton got it sorted when he moved to Hibs while with Rap it was the exception, not the rule (and he had injury problems in that direction too). I'd suggest Hamilton looks uncomfortable more than he looks comfortable when the ball is passed back to him.

Hamilton's touch is poor, he needs too long to make his mind up and often doesn't connect well with the ball. That said there was one stand out cross-switch ball that he played from the deck that caught out everyone and we nearly scored from it (I forget which game), so it wasn't all bad. He's also been pretty steady over all since he came back into the team. Previously I;d have gone with Parish over him but not now. With him out now it will be interesting to see whether Parish or Dieng gets the nod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

Yeah maybe a wee bit harsh I suppose. However at least (for him, not us) Leighton got it sorted when he moved to Hibs while with Rap it was the exception, not the rule (and he had injury problems in that direction too). I'd suggest Hamilton looks uncomfortable more than he looks comfortable when the ball is passed back to him.

Hamilton's touch is poor, he needs too long to make his mind up and often doesn't connect well with the ball. That said there was one stand out cross-switch ball that he played from the deck that caught out everyone and we nearly scored from it (I forget which game), so it wasn't all bad. He's also been pretty steady over all since he came back into the team. Previously I;d have gone with Parish over him but not now. With him out now it will be interesting to see whether Parish or Dieng gets the nod.

I'm not really getting the Hamilton poor touch thing to be honest, I remember the howler at St Mirren but off the top of my head I can't think of many, if any, more. I think Bain probably had more hairy moments with the ball at his feet, although he played more games here than Hamilton has so far. I've also missed a few games too so I've maybe not had to endure as much as others. Probably kicking from hand, or from dead balls, has been Hamilton's biggest weakness for me so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I'm not really getting the Hamilton poor touch thing to be honest, I remember the howler at St Mirren but off the top of my head I can't think of many, if any, more. I think Bain probably had more hairy moments with the ball at his feet, although he played more games here than Hamilton has so far. I've also missed a few games too so I've maybe not had to endure as much as others. Probably kicking from hand, or from dead balls, has been Hamilton's biggest weakness for me so far.

Poor touch isn't maybe the correct phrase, but his first touch often seems to take him into trouble and being forced to rush his clearance.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the 'fault' (it's not about fault, it's just the way it goes sometimes) for this lies with the defence, (at times) the tactics and him, so this isn't actually a massive dig at the boy. He's been my MOTM on more than one occasion this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

We now have a few goalies including those on loan. Six maybe.

Six including the under 18 keeper I think.

Hamilton is going to be out according to the papers, so only really 2 first team keeper in the short/medium term. I think nurturing the young pair of keepers is a good longer term strategy though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

We now have a few goalies including those on loan. Six maybe.

Obviously, as you've mentioned, Ferrie and Gourlay are out on loan but probably not ready for our first team yet anyway. That just leaves young Jackson, who goes between the U18's and the reserves to provide goalkeeping cover should either Jack Hamilton or Elliott Parrish pick up an injury, which is probably inadequate. Since Hamilton has picked up an injury it was probably the best call to bring in another keeper, particularly one with a bit of first team experience at a good level to compete with our only other fit and experienced keeper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see McIntyre has confirmed that Dieng arrives to replace Hamilton, who is to have an op. I suspect the manager will have the QPR loanee lined up to be first-choice for the foreseeable.

"Jack needs an operation on his finger which we have known for a few weeks.

"It’s too dangerous to wait until the end of the season for Jack’s future.

"So after speaking to the hand specialist we were guided medically that he couldn’t go on for much longer.

"He has been playing with a bit of pain so it needs to get sorted now. We can’t take any risks."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cobra said:

I see McIntyre has confirmed that Dieng arrives to replace Hamilton, who is to have an op. 

That's exactly what is worrying. Seems like JM was 'happy' with Hamilton & Parish.

The GK position was/is just as important as the defence or midfield or attack to strengthen for the run in imo. I was expecting a GK as one of the key new signings. 

Edited by Dondeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:41, Travellingdee said:

Can someone tell  me please, how many goalies do we actually  have?

just him

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tayportdee said:

just him

Parish?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dondeh said:

Parish?. 

Yes.

And just Dieng.

And Hamilton.

Oh, and Gourlay.

That's all.

Other than Ferrie of course.

Just the five then. 1+1+1+1+1=5 

Apart from the young lad. Sam Jackson... He's the other one.

Seems like six of one and half a dozen of the other to me.

Hope that clears it up. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2019 at 01:07, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

I have always said that goalies cannae play football.

Scott Bain was a midfielder before he was a keeper, and was always good with the ball at his feet. Most keepers these day's are trained to kick the ball and take part with the other players in passing the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 20:40, Reverend Lovejoy said:

I asked the poster who claimed that Dieng was to be installed as our new No.1 if they could verify that info. I've honestly never seen this anywhere else and was genuinely interested.

I'm still awaiting a response.

It was my own opinion that he would come in and he would end up as our main keeper. I wasn't insinuating that I was in the know of anything like that, if that is what you were meaning.

From what I have personally seen of him, he is a good up and coming keeper who would have pushed Hamilton for the spot (I didn't know about about the surgery at the time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Scott Bain was a midfielder before he was a keeper, and was always good with the ball at his feet. Most keepers these day's are trained to kick the ball and take part with the other players in passing the ball.

Could have fooled me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

It was my own opinion that he would come in and he would end up as our main keeper. I wasn't insinuating that I was in the know of anything like that, if that is what you were meaning.

From what I have personally seen of him, he is a good up and coming keeper who would have pushed Hamilton for the spot (I didn't know about about the surgery at the time).

It definitely (to me anyway) read like there's was some inside info, hence my question. It read like you were quite clear that he was to be our No.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.