Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

When 8 Makes 10

tckeayend

I overheard someone pointing out that the Kilmarnock wall was never fully back at our free kicks so I watched Alba last night.

Sure enough, at our two free kicks in front of goal in the first half, the referee TWICE paced out the full...……….. eight yards!  The second free kick came off a defender's head which might not have happened had the wall been the full distance.

In contrast, at the Killie goal, the wall looked further back.  A great free kick by the way.  We were in the main stand, right behind it, and you honestly would be hard put to lay any blame at the keeper's door.

• Like 1

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

I spotted the difference in the number of steps last night from the Coxy and he even stepped out at an angle on one occasion to make even more ridiculous.And the Scottish refs wonder why they are ridiculed for their inconsistencies. I also felt it was a great freekick by Burke who had a very good game.

10 minutes ago, Double Blue said:

I spotted the difference in the number of steps last night from the Coxy and he even stepped out at an angle on one occasion to make even more ridiculous.And the Scottish refs wonder why they are ridiculed for their inconsistencies. I also felt it was a great freekick by Burke who had a very good game.

Looked like his crazy foam had run out too!

I've just been watching that part of the Alba recording & the first one, that resulted in the handball, definitely looked short of 10 yards....but as the handball was right on the penalty box "D", he didn't really need to pace it out, the penalty spot is 10 yards. He did use the spray, but the wall stood in front of it, then he told them to get back. When he turned round, they moved a couple of feet forward, very clear from the back-of-the-Shankly camera. 

Could someone not invent a laser-measuring gadget for refs to point at a player in the wall....with a (mild!) 'taser' effect if they encroach? I mean, if you can use one to measure walls, gotta be feasible....  ;)  

30 minutes ago, Tckeayend said:

I overheard someone pointing out that the Kilmarnock wall was never fully back at our free kicks so I watched Alba last night.

Sure enough, at our two free kicks in front of goal in the first half, the referee TWICE paced out the full...……….. eight yards!  The second free kick came off a defender's head which might not have happened had the wall been the full distance.

In contrast, at the Killie goal, the wall looked further back.  A great free kick by the way.  We were in the main stand, right behind it, and you honestly would be hard put to lay any blame at the keeper's door.

I'm going to take the referee's side on this one.

Different people move different distances when they take paces. There is nothing in nature that says a human pace is one yard so it's impossible to say with any certainty that any referee will measure eight yards by taking eight paces or ten yards by taking ten paces. Maybe the wall at the Killie goal looked further back because of the angle it was viewed at? I really think if the referee was taking eight paces for one side and ten similar paces for another the players are going to notice. Have a look at Clancy pacing out a wall again - does he take regular paces or does he take longer than normal paces?

For me we have to accept that the referee is happy he has taken the wall back ten yards and as long as the wall is behind the line he's marked get on with it. Only alternatives are a yardstick or a 10 yard piece of string

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

I'm going to take the referee's side on this one.

Different people move different distances when they take paces. There is nothing in nature that says a human pace is one yard so it's impossible to say with any certainty that any referee will measure eight yards by taking eight paces or ten yards by taking ten paces. Maybe the wall at the Killie goal looked further back because of the angle it was viewed at? I really think if the referee was taking eight paces for one side and ten similar paces for another the players are going to notice. Have a look at Clancy pacing out a wall again - does he take regular paces or does he take longer than normal paces?

For me we have to accept that the referee is happy he has taken the wall back ten yards and as long as the wall is behind the line he's marked get on with it. Only alternatives are a yardstick or a 10 yard piece of string

This. It's the ref's best guess at 10 yards, not 10 paces.

2 hours ago, WoodStein said:

I've just been watching that part of the Alba recording & the first one, that resulted in the handball, definitely looked short of 10 yards....but as the handball was right on the penalty box "D", he didn't really need to pace it out, the penalty spot is 10 yards. He did use the spray, but the wall stood in front of it, then he told them to get back. When he turned round, they moved a couple of feet forward, very clear from the back-of-the-Shankly camera. 

Could someone not invent a laser-measuring gadget for refs to point at a player in the wall....with a (mild!) 'taser' effect if they encroach? I mean, if you can use one to measure walls, gotta be feasible....  ;)  

I phone could do that?

note other smartphones are available

not like there’s any advertising on here😉

Adblock Detected