Reporting Content. Read more... ×
The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, Parcbara said:

Hemmings was a penalty box striker, Nelson is dangerous from outside the box as well.

Did @weighorstswang not say Elton often tried to get in the box ?

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

Hard, dry pitches can be watered and softened up. Astro is relentless and unforgiving on your joints. Plus, it's bloody awful having to pick the pellets out your nose/hair/ears .. everywhere really! 

The first asto pitches were not great as a lot of them had sand scattered over them which would rip your skin off...present day Astro is miles ahead of what was on offer years ago eg..taking a stud and the thickness of the pile and using the pellets to cushion the surface made a difference. As you probably gather that I'm a fan of the surface , I never had a problem with my joints (silky football was the order of the day in my playing days) ....only issue with the pellets was that they ended up over the carpet when you took your trainers off. Whilst I've done my best to defend AstroTurf I would say  that there is no doubt grass is preferable.

• Like 1

Bottom line is that if you are in the SPL then surely grass has to be mandatory.    

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Sebastiano Nela said:

The new 3g/4g with the rubber beads is no less forgiving than turf IMO. Where it is risky is where players have to turn quickly or slide into tackles, the rubber beads are very grippy.

I broke my ankle badly sliding in for a tackle on a 3g pitch in Gibraltar. My studs gripped on the rubber beads and momentum carried my leg forward 90deg sideways until my ankle gave way making a horrendous noise.

I've found getting boots designed for the 4g helps a lot. I used to just run about in HG boots and my feet and shins would ache for days after it but since getting the new ones it's not as bad.

Still much prefer the grass but beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davidy233 said:

Doubt he'd have been on the bench if he can't play on astr

Hope so

Need him v livi

Edited by Mr Sensible

Full-Time professional football should not be played on Astro.

I remember a short doc / news item at Hamilton and they said that the cause of injuries is jumping between grass and astro, and not as common if using astro exclusively.

1 hour ago, SM1893 said:

Full-Time professional football should not be played on Astro.

I remember a short doc / news item at Hamilton and they said that the cause of injuries is jumping between grass and astro, and not as common if using astro exclusively.

The news item was wrong.....there are more injuries caused on their pitch  when Darian McKinnon sets foot on it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

The news item was wrong.....there are more injuries caused on their pitch  when Darian McKinnon sets foot on it.

Cant argue with that, man's an animal. Still struggling to get my head around his comments about our fans giving him pelters. He went out of his way to hurt Henvey.

'Man' being used in the loosest term.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SM1893 said:

Cant argue with that, man's an animal. Still struggling to get my head around his comments about our fans giving him pelters. He went out of his way to hurt Henvey.

'Man' being used in the loosest term.

Apparently he had a memory lapse in the press room after the game as he forgot to tell the press how he got his injury.....the photo shows him going in on Henveys knee.

3 hours ago, Mr Sensible said:

Hope so

Need him v livi

Hope so too. 

But again raises the question why not starting for our most important game of the season to that point?.  

On 07/02/2019 at 19:16, Wattie Rojas said:

I like how he shoots on sight. Good pace and power too. 

Seeing his two goals on TV, what struck me is hw early he hits his shots on goal and with barely any back lift he's giving the keeper very little indication that the shot is coming, or where he's placing it.

Seriously impressed so far, but credit too to Curran for his battering ram approach that basically created the second one. It's been a long time since we've actually had a strike partnership. It would be great of these two could set that right.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

Seeing his two goals on TV, what struck me is hw early he hits his shots on goal and with barely any back lift he's giving the keeper very little indication that the shot is coming, or where he's placing it.

Seriously impressed so far, but credit too to Curran for his battering ram approach that basically created the second one. It's been a long time since we've actually had a strike partnership. It would be great of these two could set that right.

Could it be a lucky Koinky-dink or could JM have something about him..... maybe 10 years of so of management has been useful. 

I'm sure sooner or later he'll get his jotters and be the Anti Christ but I'm enjoying it for now. :D

• Like 1
  • Star Post 1

5 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

Could it be a lucky Koinky-dink or could JM have something about him..... maybe 10 years of so of management has been useful. 

I'm sure sooner or later he'll get his jotters and be the Anti Christ but I'm enjoying it for now. 

Only if we win 4-0 next weekend!

Nah, seriously, it's maybe going to be too little too late but the improvement in the standard, or maybe more pertinently, style and standard of player he has brought to the squad has been quite amazing. Especially what with it being done during the January window. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barkblue said:

Nah, seriously, it's maybe going to be too little too late but the improvement in the standard, or maybe more pertinently, style and standard of player he has brought to the squad has been quite amazing. Especially what with it being done during the January window. 

It has been some window and early signs suggest its been a success. For our wee corner of football it looks like we've turned a massive corner and will dig ourselves out the hole.

I know you weren't a fan of NM but he was at least trying to drag our game forward. That is not intended as any kind of slur to JM who (to me) has done a fantastic job of turning us into a much better team in our league, more a reflection on our league. Saying that, I really do think JM could be a really good manager for us, he's had 10 years or so bobbing around Scottish football learning his trade and he's certainly pulled a few rabbits out of hats this transfer window.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chomp my root said:

It has been some window and early signs suggest its been a success. For our wee corner of football it looks like we've turned a massive corner and will dig ourselves out the hole.

I know you weren't a fan of NM but he was at least trying to drag our game forward. That is not intended as any kind of slur to JM who (to me) has done a fantastic job of turning us into a much better team in our league, more a reflection on our league. Saying that, I really do think JM could be a really good manager for us, he's had 10 years or so bobbing around Scottish football learning his trade and he's certainly pulled a few rabbits out of hats this transfer window.

I thought that nm signed too many wee players which meant we were outmuscled in most games, especially in midfield. .

Under jmc we've gone with stronger, faster and taller players. 

Edited by Wattie Rojas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomp my root said:

I've kind of reconciled with McCann's time with the club now that I don't have to watch it week in week out but I take issue a little bit about the dragging our game forward part. I totally get what you mean by that and I totally understand those who were saying something along those lines during the experiment. However, there's more than one way to play football and the 'wee teams' have never been able to replicate what the scene setters have been doing. No one matched the style of Liverpool in the 70s, no one matched the style of Man United in the 90s and no one will match the style of Man City in this era. It's taken a team like Liverpool to try and adapt that style into their own game to really challenge Pep and his ideas and more power to Klopp for not trying to ape the 'model'. 

I honestly found what we were trying to do to be more cringeworthy than forward looking. Speaking totally for myself, I don't think McCann improved the style, the product or the standard in any shape or form. All he did was badly follow what will soon be yesterday's ideas of how the game 'should' be played and got nowhere near it.

Like you, me saying that McIntyre is playing the game in a more industrial manner, or getting the ball forward quicker and with width (NOT lumping it forward like some insist  it is) isn't a slight on him, but the big difference for me is that any ambitious manager at a smaller club either has to have a dangerously humungous budget to back up their gamble, or to be much more pragmatic. Thankfully McIntyre seems to be the latter, so far.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Barkblue said:

I've kind of reconciled with McCann's time with the club now that I don't have to watch it week in week out but I take issue a little bit about the dragging our game forward part. I totally get what you mean by that and I totally understand those who were saying something along those lines during the experiment. However, there's more than one way to play football and the 'wee teams' have never been able to replicate what the scene setters have been doing. No one matched the style of Liverpool in the 70s, no one matched the style of Man United in the 90s and no one will match the style of Man City in this era. It's taken a team like Liverpool to try and adapt that style into their own game to really challenge Pep and his ideas and more power to Klopp for not trying to ape the 'model'. 

I honestly found what we were trying to do to be more cringeworthy than forward looking. Speaking totally for myself, I don't think McCann improved the style, the product or the standard in any shape or form. All he did was badly follow what will soon be yesterday's ideas of how the game 'should' be played and got nowhere near it.

Like you, me saying that McIntyre is playing the game in a more industrial manner, or getting the ball forward quicker and with width (NOT lumping it forward like some insist  it is) isn't a slight on him, but the big difference for me is that any ambitious manager at a smaller club either has to have a dangerously humungous budget to back up their gamble, or to be much more pragmatic. Thankfully McIntyre seems to be the latter, so far.

I'm enjoying the football more now than I did under NM, we're playing with more speed, width and it seems passion and its great to see players running with the ball.

Football evolves and my slight concern is the Scottish game is heading down an evolutionary dead end. I should probably just enjoy what we've got really, it is easier on the eye and we seem to be getting more points so what's not to like.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dondeh said:

Hope so too. 

But again raises the question why not starting for our most important game of the season to that point?.  

By that philosophy he has to start every game because in our position every game is 'our most important game of the season to that point'.

Does he start every game regardless of condition, fitness, illness etc?

11 hours ago, Chomp my root said:

I'm sure sooner or later he'll get his jotters and be the Anti Christ but I'm enjoying it for now. 

Think you will find, there's a few on here ...That are well up to this challenge :happyyes:

We will soon demoralise him. Break his spirit...And put him in his rightful place :tears:

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, Barkblue said:

Barkblue, both Jim & his players have definitely got off the mark, flying off the blocks.

We need now (imo) all the players to show consistency & self belief. Think we'll be fine :happyyes:

• Star Post 1

10 hours ago, Chomp my root said:

It's starting to look (imo) JM is now getting a winning team together ...

I think his many years "hand-on" (mixed experience maybe) as a manager, is now coming to the fore.

On top of that his honest reassuring open-style of presentation on camera is good Draws me right in.

But I'm no gonna dwell to much on that aspect of his qualities :happyno: Work hard and Keep it Simple:chaplin:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wattie Rojas said:

I thought that nm signed too many wee players which meant we were outmuscled in most games, especially in midfield. .

Under jmc we've gone with stronger, faster and taller players. 

Gonna agree with that Wattie ...

Watching the players against Killie, you could see the players had a "presence" & were no at awe fairt to get right in there. And mix it !!

They had the size  "stronger, faster and taller"And it seemed JM had them prepared, primed & ready for the fight. Keep it up Lads

• Like 1

Some diverse points/opposing views made in this topic, where posters see things differently ...

Especially in the more recent posts & responses above. But withoot "digs & personal insults" it

makes for good reading .... And certainly speaking for myself, I find it encourages me to post

4 hours ago, Chomp my root said:

I'm enjoying the football more now than I did under NM, we're playing with more speed, width and it seems passion and its great to see players running with the ball.

Football evolves and my slight concern is the Scottish game is heading down an evolutionary dead end. I should probably just enjoy what we've got really, it is easier on the eye and we seem to be getting more points so what's not to like.

Good morning Mr Chomp, for most of the season I've been sitting at games thinking "what am I doing here" and slowly falling out of love with fitba ....but with the signings in the January window showing a bit of passion like you say and giving us more flair it's renewed my passion for my club. The attendances at away games have reflected what's been happening on the park ...eg 100 odd for QoS to nearly 900 against Hamilton....give us something to get excited about and the fans will turn up........the feel good  factor is on it's way back .

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Janny62 said:

Good morning Mr Chomp, for most of the season I've been sitting at games thinking "what am I doing here" and slowly falling out of love with fitba ....but with the signings in the January window showing a bit of passion like you say and giving us more flair it's renewed my passion for my club. The attendances at away games have reflected what's been happening on the park ...eg 100 odd for QoS to nearly 900 against Hamilton....give us something to get excited about and the fans will turn up........the feel good  factor is on it's way back .

I've been exactly the same as the bold underlined bit.

My absolutes passion for the club, which was torn asunder by McCann's ineptitude as manager, is still some way from being fully restored but it's looking like it's on the way back.

Feel good factor will come back with some wins and better home performances.

• Like 3