Reporting Content. Read more... ×
The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Janny62 said:

Thank you Bjs, my sentiments exactly...I think I found myself defending Astro more than I felt I should have but one thing I was sure of was that for years we all said there wasn't enough facilities for kids training...we now have a generation of kids being brought up playing on it...last time we played livvie, we lost FOUR headed goals...that was nothing to do with the pitch and more to do with poor defending,recently we lost a screamer of a shot from Dobbie at Q of South which was nothing to do with the pitch again but in my opinion was a brilliant strike.We are supposed to have better players but only complain when things don't go our way eg it's an unfair advantage playing on Astro ? I have never had a problem playing on it In my playing days,neither controlling a ball,running on it or even shooting at goal on it so it might be more a reflection on those that don't like it. Just for the record,after today's win...how many folk will come on today and condemn the pitch after today's great win....the pitch is soon forgotten when you get a win......

The pitch was contributory in my opinion to our shooting being off target and some slips, etc.

• Like 3

Plastic pitches at professional level are horrendous for our game. It’s a huge advantage for the teams that have them and the players hate them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

The pitch was contributory in my opinion to our shooting being off target and some slips, etc.

Hi Billy, it's true there were a few slips today but I could also point out a few free kicks from Woods over the bar on grass the last few games or Dales snatching at the ball on grass as well  plus I still don't know how Wright missed that sitter from close in when it looked easier to score. I'm starting to get worried that people must think I'm an Astro turf salesman by the amount of comments I'm making about the surface but bottom line is I think it's too easy to blame the surface and we are talking about Professional players here who should be able to deal with this comfortably. Also one last comment from me....what do I prefer ?...no doubts....it's grass for me 😀😀😀.......ps..appreciate your comments though.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cornerstone said:

Plastic pitches at professional level are horrendous for our game. It’s a huge advantage for the teams that have them and the players hate them.

Hi Cornerstone, I don't recall supporters outside Grounds at Hamilton,Livingston and Kilmarnock protesting about Astro being installed or players refusing to sign for those same clubs because they played on the stuff but truth is that if our owners told us we were installing one we would probably roll over and accept it.

1 hour ago, Billy Campbell's Ghost said:

Was speaking to a mate who was talking to a steward (already a few whispers in this) who was saying that the pitch was very heavily watered from 2 o'clock. Saying that, its no different to what other more 'grassy' clubs do. Do I like it ? No but its all part of the whole 'home advantage' that  clubs do. 

Any update on Nelson’s injury yesterday?I thought as soon as he went off Livi gained confidence,  very important player for us. 

17 hours ago, Janny62 said:

Hi Billy, it's true there were a few slips today but I could also point out a few free kicks from Woods over the bar on grass the last few games or Dales snatching at the ball on grass as well  plus I still don't know how Wright missed that sitter from close in when it looked easier to score. I'm starting to get worried that people must think I'm an Astro turf salesman by the amount of comments I'm making about the surface but bottom line is I think it's too easy to blame the surface and we are talking about Professional players here who should be able to deal with this comfortably. Also one last comment from me....what do I prefer ?...no doubts....it's grass for me 😀😀😀.......ps..appreciate your comments though.

After watching a couple of games played this weekend on artificial surfaces, it’s ridiculous that they are allowed in our top league.

The home side definitely get the advantage and our Nelson has put his lnjury down to the pitch.

Our league can’t expect to be taken seriously when the SPFL sanction artificial pitches.

I hope the players stick to their guns and they are banned sooner than later. 

21 hours ago, Barkblue said:

I think the thing is that, from watching that on TV, the ball undoubtedly bounces and reacts differently. Players also seem less sure on it in terms of turning and slipping.

It's not the plastic pitches as such, it's the difference between them and grass and how having less experience/game time on one favours the team who plays on the other a lot of the time.

I remember some teams back in the 70s used to train and Sunday football was played on blaize. Nobody suggested the pro-game should be played on that even though most folk were 'used to playing on it'. 

If there wasn't a revenue stream to be had from plastic none of the top flight teams in Scotland would have it. Simple as that. 

As an aside though, it was interesting when Steve MacLean refused to play on it for St Johnstone but did straight away after his move to Hearts. Either Levien is scarier than Wright, or he saw one team as more important than the other... Maybe it is really only a problem when it suits them?

Pretty sure MacLean came out and said tha5 he was always willing to play on it but it was Wright who decided that he couldn’t answer d he might aggravate old injuries, then when he goes to hearts he’s happy to play. Sometimes managers will make up excuses before a game just in case they needed it. Many would argue that on a rutted grass pitch you could get a reoccurrence of an injury very easily too.

• Like 1

Watch every interview on DEETV. He is a class act.

Pity he was on crutches last night.

2 hours ago, Bjs said:

Pretty sure MacLean came out and said tha5 he was always willing to play on it but it was Wright who decided that he couldn’t answer d he might aggravate old injuries, then when he goes to hearts he’s happy to play. Sometimes managers will make up excuses before a game just in case they needed it. Many would argue that on a rutted grass pitch you could get a reoccurrence of an injury very easily too.

I suppose it depends on who we choose to believe.

Wright doesn't strike me as a manager who'd leave a player out of his line-up and pass up the chance of playing his strongest line-up, but then maybe the medical advice he got was what he went from. Surely if the player was so certain he'd be fine then he could tell the medical staff so?

Either way someone was telling porkies and I know Saints fans were decidedly put out by his sudden appearance on plastic for Hearts. 

Any word on Nelson's injury?

Dondeh has posted in two topics he was on crutches on Saturday night.

Massive blow if he doesn't make Friday.

5 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

He said the crutches were to keep his weight off the foot and he thought he would be OK.

Given he hardly trained last week and couldn't walk before he was taken off - looks unlikely to me.

6 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

LOOKS LIKE HE'LL BE FINE ... https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/830437/dundee-striker-andrew-nelson-co

What is the admiral going to be like when he is free of his lumps and bumps, the best is yet to come from him, Curran will need to put a Mother Care leash on him to keep up. 😂

• Funny 1

20 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

I'd offer the massive blow if he DOES make friday. :rolleyes:

• Funny 2

Watching the game on Saturday some of his play really reminds me of Stevie Lovell. He is so strong and apon winning the ball his first thought is to drive forward at pace. He has that 5-10 yard acceleration that Lovell  had, plus he knows where the goal is. Here’s hoping he continues to impress 

• Like 2

Aches & Pains, can be a terrible infliction ... Especially when ye get Auld & Decrepit :tears:

Eh've seen me, spend a whole day on chair, barely able tae mutter .... "Oh woe is me" :tears:

Margaret, in between giving me my pills, & contant cups o tea, taks me tae the Lavvy :tears:

Then a day comes alang like Seterday & following the gemme...Win/3 Precious Points.

Then a Miracle Takes Place (Dinnae even need the Holy Water)...Eh'm oot my chair like

A Man Possessed. Run roond the fields at least 10 time. Do a spot o' mountain climbing.

Dae20 mile swim in the open sea tae cool off. Float on a few clouds. Sit Doon Again :tears:

Nelson's goal had to be a header as, along with Wright and Dales, his shooting was wayward, to put it mildly. Of course Wright came good too, in style, from a deadball.

No exaggeration to say they had at least five efforts between them that should at least have made the keeper make a save, and maybe result in a goal or two.

47 minutes ago, Dblair said:

Watching the game on Saturday some of his play really reminds me of Stevie Lovell. He is so strong and apon winning the ball his first thought is to drive forward at pace. He has that 5-10 yard acceleration that Lovell  had, plus he knows where the goal is. Here’s hoping he continues to impress 

Loved watching Lovell.

My one worry about Nelson is that the style he plays, like Lovell, makes him a bit vulnerable to serious injury. I can't bare to watch it sometimes as there are points where you see players flying in to challenges and the quick change of pace.

He does seem to be fairly resilient though and always want to keep going. I think he's the sort of player that management will have to drag off time to time for his own safety.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blueboy said:

Nelson's goal had to be a header as, along with Wright and Dales, his shooting was wayward, to put it mildly. Of course Wright came good too, in style, from a deadball.

No exaggeration to say they had at least five efforts between them that should at least have made the keeper make a save, and maybe result in a goal or two.

All these effort were high over the bar I suppose most could have been caused by the higher bounce on the plastic pitch causing you to hit under the ball. Nelson certainly seems to usually try and strike it low. I'll give him and Wright the benefit of the doubt, not sure whether Dales strikes were anything to do with the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, DeeVDee said:

All these effort were high over the bar I suppose most could have been caused by the higher bounce on the plastic pitch causing you to hit under the ball. Nelson certainly seems to usually try and strike it low. I'll give him and Wright the benefit of the doubt, not sure whether Dales strikes were anything to do with the pitch. 

They were all very similar, ballooned efforts, so you might be right about the pitch.

But a Dons fan at work has just told me Wright loves plastic pitches, he grew up on them. And they want him back at the end of the loan!