Reporting Content. Read more... ×
The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Stephen Wright Appointmented As Head of Academy

Rate this topic

• Like 1

Sounds like a fantastic capture for the club. Is it just me though who is losing track of all the changes within the youth development/academy roles!? 

Edit to add. I’d imagine Stephens appointment will be a step towards attaining the elite level? 

And a Welcome fae me as well Stephen :chaplin:

(Just as an aside)... I see it was JM who gave him his first coaching job at Dunfermline  10 yrs ago)

And it made me think again how welcoming/loyal, JM appears to be to players, coaches, etc he has

worked with in the past. This of course, is no guarantee of success. But for me, it is a good place to

start...(Know what you are getting) The other thing is, although I like, maybe even admire this quality,

Our Manager (imo) although he is keen to employ players he knows well, his loyalty disnae extend to

playing his auld pals, come what may If he thinks a player needs dropped he'll drop him (No aye mind)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dblair said:

Sounds like a fantastic capture for the club. Is it just me though who is losing track of all the changes within the youth development/academy roles!? 

Edit to add. I’d imagine Stephens appointment will be a step towards attaining the elite level? 

Not sure mate, but think he is maybe replacing Jimmy Boyle after he stepped up to the first team.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Dee said:

Not sure mate, but think he is maybe replacing Jimmy Boyle after he stepped up to the first team.

This would make a lot of sense. Glad that we have someone with experience of a variety of clubs and hoping that we will, at last, get some consistent thinking for the longer term at our club. can't remember who made the point but not having to spend money to revamp the first team every 6 months could generate massive savings for the club, and if the cash was still available it might allow a wee bit more to be spent on a higher standard of player, or at least more vigorous attempts to retain our better players.

• Like 2

He has loads of experience of coaching and running academies and probably has a load of good contacts.

I'd like to see us have a lot more of our youngsters going through the SFA school at St Johns as United are dominating the intake ATM. Their head scout is our old scout, Jim Carlin who seems to know his stuff.

Robertson and Cameron have benefited hugely from the program.

Och, I'll go all contrary and say "lazy signing", "cronyism" and "sh1te signing". Up until today I wasn't aware of the guy but I want to be the first to slate him.... sooner or later I'll be proven right when he either lets us down somehow (boooooo) or moves on to bigger and better (Judas !!!!) and its important that everyone knows I called it first. :lol2:

Hopefully part of a long term plan for the club, we're crying out for long term. Since the admins we've brought through a few guys and without trying to be 'wha's like us' about it, it can save a fortune if we bring guys through. Just spitballing but is it feasible that him and Jimmy Boyle might swap roles in the summer ???? I'm guessing Billy Dodds is now officially a pariah so maybe an option ??????

Personally I don't think they sfa schools do much good myself,it's all about picking all there friends sons, a lot of nonsense if you ask me,it's more about hunger and desire the kids have got in them there self.👌

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cfc_rio said:

Personally I don't think they sfa schools do much good myself,it's all about picking all there friends sons, a lot of nonsense if you ask me,it's more about hunger and desire the kids have got in them there self.👌

Welcome to the dark blues forum :)

Good first post! 👍

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cfc_rio said:

If you look at the latest Scotland squads there are loads of SFA schools players.

There maybe is a bit of nepotism when it comes to these schools and possibly the Scotland setup too, however the extra training must benefit them. 

Your right it benefits some but definitely hinders others makes them go backwards.👍

• Like 1

How many from they performance schools have actually made it in top team football,apart from Kieron tirney.

54 minutes ago, Cfc_rio said:

How many from they performance schools have actually made it in top team football,apart from Kieron tirney.

The programme only started in 2012 so the first graduates are only 19. Cochrane and McDonald at Hearts both went through the process I know. 

16 out of the 20 under 17 Scotland squad are in the programme too.

I appreciate it doesn't work for everyone but more practice and coaching has helped improve standards.

Cochrane yeah fine player don't know the other but Scotland seventeens I'll be surprised if many of them make it big I'm on about top football teams,I agree it works for some but only a few and the process to get into it is an absolute joke.😂👍

Totally agree about the hunger and desire from the youngsters. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cfc_rio said:

Cochrane yeah fine player don't know the other but Scotland seventeens I'll be surprised if many of them make it big I'm on about top football teams,I agree it works for some but only a few and the process to get into it is an absolute joke.😂👍

Hi Cfc ... (Jist like to add to the Welcome above) :welcome2:

And I see you'r stimulating a wee bit o' discussion as weel.

It is an area eh ken nout aboot, but nae reason to disagree.

• Wowzer 1

That’s a great appointment by the club, he’s experienced and highly thought off within the game, here’s hoping he unearths the next batch of Derry youngsters to grace the Dark Blues.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Bjs said:

That’s a great appointment by the club, he’s experienced and highly thought off within the game, here’s hoping he unearths the next batch of Derry youngsters to grace the Dark Blues.

It feels to me like he's another piece of the Jigsaw ... The main thing the noo, is tae drag oorselves awa fae this danger spot we are presently in.

AND TODAY WID BE A GRAND TIME TO START THE CLIMB...With  oor recently appointed manager & his players & noo Stephen Wright DFC :wub:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cfc_rio said:

If you don’t mind me asking how do you know about the process, I assume your child’s applied and not got in? Don’t know much about it and the websites not very explanatory either 

Yeah I know about the process,and yeah my son didn't get in which now I am so glad he never got in cause it's the biggest lot of cr** it's all about old pals act if you ask me,just my opinion,ohh and the boy who runs it is an absolute be** e*d Jenkins think his name is. As I says before not about the cr** that they coach you at sfa schools all about the kid himself if they have got it or not.😁👍

9 minutes ago, Cfc_rio said:

Yeah I know about the process,and yeah my son didn't get in which now I am so glad he never got in cause it's the biggest lot of cr** it's all about old pals act if you ask me,just my opinion,ohh and the boy who runs it is an absolute be** e*d Jenkins think his name is. As I says before not about the cr** that they coach you at sfa schools all about the kid himself if they have got it or not.😁👍

To be fair if they’ve got the talent they’ll be scouted anyway so these schools aren’t the be all and end all. My son was scouted age 6 but I’m under no illusion he’ll become a professional player, I think it’s something like 1 in every 1000 players makes it or something so like 0.1% 

• Like 1

Totally agree.😜