Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Time To Stamp This Shit Out of Football.

16 minutes ago, Thepole said:

Most Old Firm fans think every other fan has a preference. If you criticise one then you support the other. It's what goes through their small minds when it comes to football. Basically the whole world revolves around them

I've been called a closet hun and also having leanings towards Celtic from fans of both for something simple like laughing at Rangers dying or having a bit of banter at Celtic getting pumped in Europe

They are consumed by hatred that goes further than football

Obviously they are not all like that but you would be surprised at how many are

I agree. A lot of conversations I've had over 50 years with OF fans keeps bringing up this "aye, but which one is your big team" nonsense. I suppose, in the Glasgow area, there was/is a fair bit of that, with some fans of Partick, St.Mirren, Clyde, etc often declaring 'sympathies' to either one of the OF.

Far too much of it, though, is 'historical', and as you say, goes further than football, even in a lot of otherwise sane & sensible people. Irrational, really.

By contrast, I know a lot of guys from the highlands & islands who supported their local Highland League club from their childhood, but also had their favourite 'big league' club as well....largely Aberdeen (closest to a 'highland' club & it's all P&J country), or the OF (glory hunters!), but quite a lot with some old family connections to others, or maybe just a team they liked to watch on TV when they were young. That was, to them, no different than the rest of Scotland having a favourite English team.   

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
1 hour ago, Prince Buster said:

If they close both the RC and the non denominational schools where will we send the kids?

Are there Jewish or Islamic schools ready to fill this void? Then we'd have the same argument of course.

schools should be a place for learning and not indoctrination, regardless of which religion your parents follow. you don't have to close these schools, you just need to take religion out of them and let children attend regardless of their religion. we are a country which subconsciously breeds sectarianism due to segregation forced at an early age because of religious ties. 

if adults want their kids to learn about religion, take them to church, synagogue or mosque etc not a school.

• Like 1
  • Star Post 2

36 minutes ago, Prince Buster said:

If they close both the RC and the non denominational schools where will we send the kids?

Are there Jewish or Islamic schools ready to fill this void? Then we'd have the same argument of course.

Hi PB,

They would them go to the same school irrespective of their religion. 

There are currently shared campuses for Primary Schools in Dundee so there would be no problem finding suitable accommodation. 

St Joseph’s RC primary school and the former Blackness PS are in a shared campus on the site of the former Logie Secondary School. 

Edited by Islaydarkblue
Typo

1 hour ago, BCram said:

I think teaching about all religions should be part of a Scottish education system. People need value systems to help them. I'd also teach about atheism agnosticism and humanism.

why? that is what churches etc are for. unless religion is part of history or geography teaching then religion should have no part in schools.

11 minutes ago, Islaydarkblue said:

Hi PB,

They would them go to the same school irrespective of their religion. 

There are currently shared campuses for Primary Schools in Dundee so there would be no problem finding suitable accommodation. 

St Joseph’s RC primary school and the former Blackness PS are in a shared campus on the site of the former Logie Secondary School. 

Correct, but the shared campus does not extend to a shared ethos. It's the ethos that needs to be addressed, IMO. I don't believe that faith based schools are the problem. We need to respect each other and I'm sure that basic concept is taught at all schools. 

1 minute ago, Sandeman said:

why? that is what churches etc are for. unless religion is part of history or geography teaching then religion should have no part in schools.

I think religions give people value systems. I think that if all value systems were taught in schools you would have a more tolerant society. It isn't the job of schools to promote religion IMO.

1 hour ago, BCram said:

I think religions give people value systems. I think that if all value systems were taught in schools you would have a more tolerant society. It isn't the job of schools to promote religion IMO.

everything i see around the world regarding religion or done in the name of religion tells me otherwise.

i do not believe in god not even from a very young age, yet i was forced to go to church at christmas, easter and any other religious occasions. i was even told once that i needed god in my life or i would go to hell from a teacher who had me by the collar frog marching me to a christian event. this had nothing to do with education or a value system.

1 minute ago, Sandeman said:

everything i see around the world regarding religion or done in the name of religion tells me otherwise.

i do not believe in god not even from a very young age, yet i was forced to go to church at christmas, easter and any other religious occasions. i was even told once that i needed god in my life or i would go to hell from a teacher who had me by the collar frog marching me to a christian event. this had nothing to do with education or a value system.

I can see why you hold the views that you do. TBH, I think I would think the same if my school experiences had been the same as yours. 

29 minutes ago, BCram said:

Correct, but the shared campus does not extend to a shared ethos. It's the ethos that needs to be addressed, IMO. I don't believe that faith based schools are the problem. We need to respect each other and I'm sure that basic concept is taught at all schools. 

Hi BCram,

There are no separate schools for Roman Catholic children on Islay and as a result the children attending the local primary schools and Islay HS do not easily know the religion of their fellow pupils.

It is the same for pupils at Dundee High School. 

1 hour ago, Thepole said:

Most Old Firm fans think every other fan has a preference. If you criticise one then you support the other. It's what goes through their small minds when it comes to football. Basically the whole world revolves around them

I've been called a closet hun and also having leanings towards Celtic from fans of both for something simple like laughing at Rangers dying or having a bit of banter at Celtic getting pumped in Europe

They are consumed by hatred that goes further than football

Obviously they are not all like that but you would be surprised at how many are

Very true and I have been asked the question when working in Glesga.  'So you support Dundee but do you follow Celtic or Rangers?' Some think that if you are a football supporter in Scotland then you must have a leaning towards one or the other.  They also think they can tell your leaning by the way you say Celtic and Rangers or Rangers and Celtic.  Bizarre people and I quickly came to the conclusion I had very little if anything, in common with them.  Different country as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

Adblock Detected