The Dark Blues
Gedee

Gerry Follon (Ex Dundee Player & School Teacher)

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, HamiltonDB said:

Islay, I feel your pain brother! I am also a Morgan FP and absolutely loathed the place from the day I was forced kicking and screaming through its doors until the day of my release five years later. I'm sure the feeling was reciprocated. While all of my primary school mates went to the 'Rocky' or Kirkton High I was 'deemed' clever enough to go to the Morgan. While some of the teachers were ok, the majority seemed to be over pension age and a throwback to something out of a Charles Dickens novel. They continuously reminded us how 'lucky' we were to attend such a prestigious school while one individual consistently referred to my 3A Boys class as 'back street scum'. A charmer and a credit to the teaching profession!

I was also there at the time of the first fire and was subsequently shipped out to Craigie High during the refurbishment work. Another highlight of my 'academic experience', attending a school on the other side of the city where we were not exactly made feel welcome. I managed to get enough out of my time there to pass my exams, although they may have wondered why I was never at school on a Wednesday afternoon for the last few months of the school term. Instead of double maths I was 'starring' in the midfield of a team in the Dundee Half Holiday League (for younger readers, ask your Dad or probably your Grandad)! I don't think I was missed, if I was they never said!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm quite not old enough to Have seen Gerry play but was fortunate enough to play in the same very good St Francis Boys Club under 16 team as his son Neil. Neil was an excellent player and it was no surprise to see him turn senior.

Appreciate Hamilton this is more directed at Islay ... But eh thoct eh wid dive in here ....As efter awe ... It wis meh Topic :excited:

In truth freend. loved your post. And it begs the question, why are you no' posting mair often? You gotta keep the posts coming.

It's funny looking back on the schooldays, as it appears, we all see that important time & experience from different perspectives.

When we left the Joey's to go to Lawside, for some reason eh cannae quite fanthom, we'd to spend 6 month spell in St Michaels.

Our first day there at oor first period, half o' us got the belt fae this mad teacher. So we never went back tae him. On the last day o'

the six moth period .... We thought we better make one last appearance !!

He introduced us as "New Boys" :) And then discovered we werenae :rant:

Thon (part-time) 6 month spell & Lawside made me whit I am today :wacko:

27 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Appreciate Hamilton this is more directed at Islay ... But eh thoct eh wid dive in here ....As efter awe ... It wis meh Topic :excited:

In truth freend. loved your post. And it begs the question, why are you no' posting mair often? You gotta keep the posts coming.

It's funny looking back on the schooldays, as it appears, we all see that important time & experience from different perspectives.

When we left the Joey's to go to Lawside, for some reason eh cannae quite fanthom, we'd to spend 6 month spell in St Michaels.

Our first day there at oor first period, half o' us got the belt fae this mad teacher. So we never went back tae him. On the last day o'

the six moth period .... We thought we better make one last appearance !!

He introduced us as "New Boys" :) And then discovered we werenae :rant:

Thon (part-time) 6 month spell & Lawside made me whit I am today :wacko:

Hi Gedee,

Were you a February intake pupil.

Some of the larger primary schools in Dundee had two intakes in the school year, August and the following February. 

There were pupils in my year at the Morgan who had been February intake pupils at Glebelands PS and had spent several months at Stobswell Boys and Girls school prior to starting first year at the Morgan in August. 

13 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi Gedee,

Were you a February intake pupil.

Some of the larger primary schools in Dundee had two intakes in the school year, August and the following February. 

There were pupils in my year at the Morgan who had been February intake pupils at Glebelands PS and had spent several months at Stobswell Boys and Girls school prior to starting first year at the Morgan in August. 

Islay, I honestly don't remember ... 

Although my birthday's  in April, so maybe that had something to do with it ...

Either way, neither school was a rewarding/fulfilling experience for me.:chaplin:

15 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Islay, I honestly don't remember ... 

Although my birthday's  in April, so maybe that had something to do with it ...

Either way, neither school was a rewarding/fulfilling experience for me.:chaplin:

Hi Gedee,

It is quite possible that you were a February intake pupil if you spent several months at St Michael’s prior to going to Lawside. I assume that you were a pupil at the old Lawside Secondary School which is now the old folks home for women called St Anne’s. 

It must be something to do with Dundee but the teacher who I still remember was another geography teacher who lived in Dundee but taught at Bell Baxter. His name was Sandy Ad. (Adamson). In the sixties he was a practising Yogi, a Dundee fan and an inspiration. There is not many of them in a pound.

Sorry Gedee. Going off topic

Pupils. Meet your new gym teacher. Mr Gilroy...Mr Joe Gilroy.  Will never forget that day.

Image result for joe gilroy billsland bread

43 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Sorry Gedee. Going off topic

Pupils. Meet your new gym teacher. Mr Gilroy...Mr Joe Gilroy.  Will never forget that day.

Image result for joe gilroy billsland bread

Back in the 1960’s it was quite common for footballer to be part time PE teachers. 

Two Dundee players who were PE teachers are Craig Brown and Doug Houston. 

John Duncan also qualified as PE teacher at Jordanhill prior to turning full time.

2 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi Gedee,

It is quite possible that you were a February intake pupil if you spent several months at St Michael’s prior to going to Lawside. I assume that you were a pupil at the old Lawside Secondary School which is now the old folks home for women called St Anne’s. 

Aye that's right Islay...Auld Lawside, which was pretty weel done & a bit decrepit.

I think at one time it was a Convent...And there was at least one Nun hoverin' aboot.

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Aye that's right Islay...Auld Lawside, which was pretty weel done & a bit decrepit.

I think at one time it was a Convent...And there was at least one Nun hoverin' aboot.

I visited my old next door neighbour in St Anne’s shortly after she moved there in 1988. There was a waiting list to get into St Anne’s as it was a bit cheaper than other equivalent care homes and it was run by Nun’s. 

At that time it was female only and men had to go to live in Wellburn Home.

I seem to remember reading that Wellburn Home closed down and I think that St Anne’s is no longer in operation. 

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to confirm if my information is correct.

11 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi HamiltonDB,

I am delighted to hear that you also loathed your time as a pupil at the Morgan. You must have been a pupil there in the early 1970’s as I remember reading about the East wing of the Morgan going up in flames in the Courier at that time. 

I do not understand why a lot of former pupils go all ‘misty eyed’ about their time at Primary and Secondary School. Just tell the truth. 

In April 2004 I remember being in B & Q and asking a fellow customer if he was Mr Vigrow who had been a geography teacher when I was a pupil at the Morgan.

H replied that he was. I told him that he was one of the better teachers at the Morgan at that time but a lot of his fellow teachers were b*****ds. He seem pleased to hear me praising him.

I can remember the Dundee Half Holiday League. We used to walk home from the Morgan along Clepington Road and across Fairmuir Park. On a Wednesday afternoon when crossing Fairmuir Park we used to watch the Half Holiday League games. Sadly that ended when shops stopped closing on a Wednesday afternoon. 

Hammy, IslayDB, it must have gone doon hill, I was there from 78 onwards. As Captain  I got to lead the Rugby Team into the big lawn every Wed for practise, studs sliding along the marble floors and out the centre door. PE Teachers were Derek Black and Bill Findlay. Mr Gill was the mad Professer Chemistry teacher. Who when dishing oot the belt tried to hit ye on the back of the hand on the way up. 😂

12 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

I cannot remember any ‘dolly bird’ female PE teachers when I was a pupil at the Morgan.

The only female PE teacher I can remember was Miss Allan and that was only because she was also a member of Downfield Golf Club. 

So, you're saying she was less than beautiful? 😉

8 hours ago, islaydarkblue said:

I visited my old next door neighbour in St Anne’s shortly after she moved there in 1988. There was a waiting list to get into St Anne’s as it was a bit cheaper than other equivalent care homes and it was run by Nun’s. 

At that time it was female only and men had to go to live in Wellburn Home.

I seem to remember reading that Wellburn Home closed down and I think that St Anne’s is no longer in operation. 

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to confirm if my information is correct.

Wellburn (Off Liff Road) I do remember .....  When my parents moved to Dryburgh , I was still a young boy.

As a family we attended church services every Sunday ... Usually at St. Josephs/Marys/ Francis,/Andrews.

Some of the services, for me anyway,  were cold, uninspiring, boring. However Wellburn had services (mass)

every Sunday by a visiting priest (aided by the nuns) This was more appealing...(homely and family friendly)

Later on in life, when I had a family, for a short period I got in the habit of popping down there & helping out.

The last comment was anither bit of insurance to help me sneak into heaven.

At that time eh didnae realise god fast-tracked awe us catholics to heaven :angel:

I should have added on to the last line above...Except of course Arab  Followers :bye:

Even being of an All-forgiving Presence ... He had to draw the line somewhere:chaplin:

• Funny 1

I should also add ...

Even Protestants. And those of other Denominations ... (Including Non-Believers)

Are (unofficially) guaranteed a place in Paradise if they have a true love of DFC  :wub:

It goes without saying, that any  knobheids affiliated to Celtic and Rangers Clubs

or as god prefers them to be known as "Twa Cheeks o' the Same Erse" are bound

for the Eternal Fires of Hell and Damnation"...I like to finish on a Happy Note:chaplin:

Thanks freend for the like DBK.

But dinnae be encouraging me.

Eh feel madness taking over :wacko:

Yes please nurse more pills :excited:

5 hours ago, HK Blues said:

So, you're saying she was less than beautiful? 😉

She was no affy bonny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Huggs66 said:

Hammy, IslayDB, it must have gone doon hill, I was there from 78 onwards. As Captain  I got to lead the Rugby Team into the big lawn every Wed for practise, studs sliding along the marble floors and out the centre door. PE Teachers were Derek Black and Bill Findlay. Mr Gill was the mad Professer Chemistry teacher. Who when dishing oot the belt tried to hit ye on the back of the hand on the way up. 😂

Hi Hammy,

Things had certainly gone downhill by 1978. 

When I was a pupil at the Morgan in the 1960’s nobody but nobody was allowed to use the centre doors at the front. As far as I was aware these doors were permanently shut. As for practicing rugby on the front lawn that was certainly a ‘no no’. Nobody was allowed to stand on the front lawn let alone play sport on it. 

I think that Derek Black was keen on rugby and he was a ‘leading light’ at Carnoustie Rugby Club when it had a spell in the National rugby leagues in the late 1980’s /90’s. 

I had a music teacher called Mr Bennett who used to put a cloth duster over your wrists before giving you the belt. 

I also had a history teacher called Miss Moffat who was small in stature and she used to stand on a chair to give you the belt. 

3 hours ago, Gedee said:

I should also add ...

Even Protestants. And those of other Denominations ... (Including Non-Believers)

Are (unofficially) guaranteed a place in Paradise if they have a true love of DFC  :wub:

It goes without saying, that any  knobheids affiliated to Celtic and Rangers Clubs

or as god prefers them to be known as "Twa Cheeks o' the Same Erse" are bound

for the Eternal Fires of Hell and Damnation"...I like to finish on a Happy Note:chaplin:

Hi Gedee,

I will be OK for heaven. 

I actually quite liked being at the Morgan. Thought it was a very imposing building. Left primary (Balerno St) in April and had to attend the Rocky for three months until the August intake.

The only bit I loathed was when I dropped down a year to resit my Higher English (in order to improve on my 'C') and ended up in a class with Islay (only joking, Dougie).

Other notable footballers to have come out of there were Alex Bruce, who went to Preston, Dave McNicoll, Hearts etc, and John 'Pele' Brown (East Fife). 

17 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

I actually quite liked being at the Morgan. Thought it was a very imposing building. Left primary (Balerno St) in April and had to attend the Rocky for three months until the August intake.

The only bit I loathed was when I dropped down a year to resit my Higher English (in order to improve on my 'C') and ended up in a class with Islay (only joking, Dougie).

Other notable footballers to have come out of there were Alex Bruce, who went to Preston, Dave McNicoll, Hearts etc, and John 'Pele' Brown (East Fife). 

I believe John Duncan left the year before I arrived. George Hill junior was still at the school at that time. He was a Dundee signing and played fairly regularly for the reserves. I remember him being a school celebrity at the time.

8 hours ago, HamiltonDB said:

I believe John Duncan left the year before I arrived. George Hill junior was still at the school at that time. He was a Dundee signing and played fairly regularly for the reserves. I remember him being a school celebrity at the time.

8 hours ago, HamiltonDB said:

I think we're kind of forgetting that Gerry was right back in a Dundee team which won back to back League Cups at Hampden in the 50s. My old man knew him as another gegraphy teacher in Dundee, and he was a regular at Dens in the 1960s and probably beyond.

10 hours ago, HamiltonDB said:

Hammy. 

You previously posted that you started at the Morgan in 1978. 

John Duncan left the Morgan in 1967. I remember George Hill junior as he also played golf. 

10 hours ago, Den Spark said:

I thought that you were in my economics class. 

8 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hammy. 

John Duncan left the Morgan in 1967. I remember George Hill junior as he also played golf. 

8 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hammy. 

Islay, I'm afraid that wasn't me. I started in 1967 and left in '72. I'm fairly sure Derek Black was a pupil there during my time at the school, but I may be mistaken. I also had Mr Vigrow as a teacher, one of the good guys and sadly (I believe) no longer with us. Craig Millar the TV reporter was also in my year, an excellent footballer and a United 'S' signing I believe.

16 minutes ago, HamiltonDB said:

Islay, I'm afraid that wasn't me. I started in 1967 and left in '72. I'm fairly sure Derek Black was a pupil there during my time at the school, but I may be mistaken. I also had Mr Vigrow as a teacher, one of the good guys and sadly (I believe) no longer with us. Craig Millar the TV reporter was also in my year, an excellent footballer and a United 'S' signing I believe.

Hi Hammy,

Sorry. My mistake.

It was Huggs66 who started at the Morgan in 1978.

I also had Mr Vigrow as my register teacher and geography teacher. 

Mr Vigrow’s wife was also a teacher at the Morgan. Her name was Miss Sales and she died about thirty years ago from cancer. Mr Vigrow  died from a heart attack about three years after I spoke to him in B &Q in 2004. 

I think that you are right that Derek Black was a pupil when you were there. 

You must have left the Morgan at the end of fifth year.