Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Quality Education Is Important. but Is This 13% Pay Rise Realistic?

Gedee

I am honestly I am not being political. But really Teachers 13% pay increase?...And yet still some not happy !!

Is it not time they took a look at theirselves. Or more importantly, looked at the plight of other struggling families.

Maybe I've got this all wrong, but I find it difficult to swallow, while others try to live on benefits & minimum wage.

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
1 hour ago, Gedee said:

I am honestly I am not being political. But really Teachers 13% pay increase?...And yet still some not happy !!

Is it not time they took a look at theirselves. Or more importantly, looked at the plight of other struggling families.

Maybe I've got this all wrong, but I find it difficult to swallow, while others try to live on benefits & minimum wage.

Hi Gedee,

The teachers conveniently do not publicise the fact that they get even longer holidays than they received up to the early 1980’s.

My late father told me that there used to be 200 admission days (School days) per year but now there are 190 admission days for pupils and 195 for teachers which includes 5 in service days per annum. 

Recently at the wake after a funeral I was speaking to a teacher and I mentioned to him about the falling number of school days that pupils now have to attend. He confirmed that my figures were correct but instead of admission days they now call them closure days. 

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

I also forgot to say that it is time for the education bosses to get rid of incompetent teachers but sadly that never seems to happen. They appear to be as ‘fire proof’ as Scottish referees. 

Thanks for your responses Islay And I appreciate anything to do with education can be a sensitive subject for many.

I can also understand why many posters (especially parents) would prefer to avoid discussing/commenting on this.

(Thanks Islay for NOT bringing politics into the topic ... Please keep it that way freend)

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Thanks for your responses Islay And I appreciate anything to do with education can be a sensitive subject for many.

I can also understand why many posters (especially parents) would prefer to avoid discussing/commenting on this.

(Thanks Islay for NOT bringing politics into the topic ... Please keep it that way freend)

Hi Gedee,

Thanks to both my parents being teachers I know more about education than the average person. We also have no children so I can say my piece without any complaints from teachers. 

Please do not get me started about ‘mickey mouse’ universities. The University of the Highlands and Islands  is just a well scattered group of technical colleges. 

A fortnight past Wednesday I noticed a sign when we arrived on the edge of Oban stating that Oban is University town. What a joke. It is has a small catering college which is part of the ‘mickey mouse’  University of the Highlands and Islands. 

Dundee has two Universities plus an Art College yet I have never seen a road sign telling me that Dundee is a University City because Dundee’s universities are well known. 

Think the teachers have made a mistake. It's the work load and the conditions that they are complaining about, the stress etc. IMO, they would have been better of, work life balance wise if they had argued for a 10% increase in the number of teachers employed. They also need to make sure that Holyrood fully funds the increase and we should all be up in arms if that isn't the case. I'm afraid it is political Gedee, it's politicians against the people and teachers are just a vocal and organised group who can create a sensible debate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BCram said:

Think the teachers have made a mistake. It's the work load and the conditions that they are complaining about, the stress etc. IMO, they would have been better of, work life balance wise if they had argued for a 10% increase in the number of teachers employed. They also need to make sure that Holyrood fully funds the increase and we should all be up in arms if that isn't the case. I'm afraid it is political Gedee, it's politicians against the people and teachers are just a vocal and organised group who can create a sensible debate.

Morn BC ... Firstly, thank you for your considered response.

Your suggestion that more emphasis should have been given to further increasing staff to address the work-load it not without merit ...  And your own suggestion (coming from the the teachers themselves) would certainly for me, been much more acceptable...And helped me have seen them in a better light.

The point you make..."I'm afraid it is political Gedee" I fully accepted from the outset of posting

We all know we each have our own political beliefs. But however strong, most of us try to keep.

our own in check (in line with forum rules/guidelines) This was reasoning behind my comment.

I realise that this post is verging on political but people need to know. 

There is certainly no chance of teachers moving from England, Wales and Northern Ireland to work as a teacher in Scotland as anyone earning more than £26,600 per year pays more income tax in Scotland than  the rest of the UK. Yet another stupid policy passed by the Scottish Government. 

• Funny 1

43 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

I realise that this post is verging on political but people need to know. 

Islay, I think it will only go political, if posters like yourself, try to, or are determined to, make it "over-political"

To the extent, that it leaves Admin John & his staff no alternative but to "close it down" (All of course my opinion)

And I kinda also take umbrage to the part of your comment .. "people need to know" 

I am not quite sure why you think, people need to know, or why you feel it is your job to tell them. I accept, it may not be your intentention to put it over in that manner. And so , if I am misinterpreting this, I apologise (But that is how it sounds to me) I think you are deliberately, trying to make this thread/topic contentious & political.

3 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Islay, I think it will only go political, if posters like yourself, try to, or are determined to, make it "over-political"

To the extent, that it leaves Admin John & his staff no alternative but to "close it down" (All of course my opinion)

And I kinda also take umbrage to the part of your comment .. "people need to know" 

I am not quite sure why you think, people need to know, or why you feel it is your job to tell them. I accept, it may not be your intentention to put it over in that manner. And so , if I am misinterpreting this, I apologise (But that is how it sounds to me) I think you are deliberately, trying to make this thread/topic contentious & political.

Hi Gedee,

I am not attempting to make this post political. I can do that on Facebook with no restrictions. 

I was just trying to explain to BCram that the teacher unions would have great difficulty arguing for a 10% increase in the number of teachers when income tax rates are higher for middle income people than equivalent workers in the rest of the UK. 

28 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi Gedee,

I am not attempting to make this post political. I can do that on Facebook with no restrictions. 

I was just trying to explain to BCram that the teacher unions would have great difficulty arguing for a 10% increase in the number of teachers when income tax rates are higher for middle income people than equivalent workers in the rest of the UK. 

Oh is that what you were doing Islay  ...  Weel that's anither poster eh guess, that has reaped the benefit of your wisdom & experience:bouncy:

Adblock Detected