The Dark Blues
Gedee

Quality Education Is Important. but Is This 13% Pay Rise Realistic?

Rate this topic

54 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

Hi BCram.

I suggest that you complain to andrak because he started it and I am not going to sit back and say nothing.

Incidentally the first paragraph of my post was ‘word for word’ in a letter that  I submitted earlier this week for publication in tomorrow’s edition of the Islay community newspaper which is currently available to read online by online subscribers to the Ileach. 

Andrak has not been political at all. He has been helpful in explaining how the Barnett Formula works. It is the way you interpret things. I'm not trying to wind you up, I just want to keep this thread on topic. independence, referendum result etc is just not appropriate among friendly Dees.  of course you can express yourself in the  Ileach and reach a much wider audience  unfortunately  the rules are on this forum is no political discussion. You've loads of interesting views but the ones you can't share on here are the ones that are political.

Wasn't your father in lived in education. I would imagine he might have had something to say in defense of teachers and the testing climate that they face.

15 minutes ago, BCram said:

Andrak has not been political at all. He has been helpful in explaining how the Barnett Formula works. It is the way you interpret things. I'm not trying to wind you up, I just want to keep this thread on topic. independence, referendum result etc is just not appropriate among friendly Dees.  of course you can express yourself in the  Ileach and reach a much wider audience  unfortunately  the rules are on this forum is no political discussion. You've loads of interesting views but the ones you can't share on here are the ones that are political.

Wasn't your father in lived in education. I would imagine he might have had something to say in defense of teachers and the testing climate that they face.

Hi BCram,

In Andrak’s post he stated that he would fight anyone in the street to get an independent Scotland which in my opinion is threatening and political. 

It is very disappointing that you have mentioned that my father was involved in Education and I have previously posted that he was a retired headmaster of Fairmuir School. I am correct in thinking that your wife is also a retired primary school teacher. 

Apologies Islay didn't read the Andrak post that you have brought to my attention. Don't understand why you would be disappointed at my reference to your father. As you have said in the past  he was a retired headmaster at Fairmuir. I could not remember the details and thought that my mention of him might provide you with an opportunity to say something about teachers from an earlier generation and help move the topic along. 

Sorry you didn't see it that way. Will give up this topic, it's obviously not interesting enough.

1 hour ago, BCram said:

Apologies Islay didn't read the Andrak post that you have brought to my attention. Don't understand why you would be disappointed at my reference to your father. As you have said in the past  he was a retired headmaster at Fairmuir. I could not remember the details and thought that my mention of him might provide you with an opportunity to say something about teachers from an earlier generation and help move the topic along. 

Sorry you didn't see it that way. Will give up this topic, it's obviously not interesting enough.

Hi BCram,

That is no problem. 

My father retired in October 1988 which I think is long before testing was ever introduced. 

However I will give you some interesting information. 

When my father was the Headmaster at Fairmuir School he told me that if a pupil was ‘out of control’ and causing trouble in the school the headmaster at the school was not allowed to exclude the pupil for up to three days because the staff in the Dundee City Council Education Office did not want the extra paperwork.

Pupils must not be excluded at all costs. 

No wonder Education is ‘down the tubes ‘ in Scotland when the staff in the Dundee City Council  Education office were not prepared to back their teaching staff in the schools prior to my father retiring in October 1988. 

Apologies for stirring things up with my post. Never intended it to be aggressive and only political in the sense of transparency - the fighting in the street comment was meant metaphorically. It does seem to be a fitting end to this topic though. I mean the vision of Islay and I fighting in the street over something neither of us can control. My money would be on Isaly by the way...

1 hour ago, andrak said:

I mean the vision of Islay and I fighting in the street over something neither of us can control. My money would be on Isaly by the way...

I'd pay good money to watch that fight, Andrak.  Could even have PPV potential!  I'm guessing you'd be in  the red corner and Islay in the blue? 😉

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, HK Blues said:

I'd pay good money to watch that fight, Andrak.  Could even have PPV potential!  I'm guessing you'd be in  the red corner and Islay in the blue? 😉

Over to you Islay, I'll bring the wet paper bags to help us establish a baseline...

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, andrak said:

Apologies for stirring things up with my post.

Andrak, I'm not at all sure you need to apologise ... In my opinion, any threads (including this one) can have an element of politics in it.

We are now all aware that care must be taken when the political side starts to take over & (again imo) whoever is responsible reins it in.

When  it becomes wayward or totally politcal & the topic/thread, either grinds to a halt or is pulled, there is usually in my experience one

common factor (poster) responsible. Each of us can decide who that is... And for the sake of fairness & equality you can include me :excited:

If you require an Unbiased Ref for this Big, Head to Head, & Pre-paid Tickets Only Contest ... Just gies a shout .... Eh'm Yir  Man:chaplin:

27 minutes ago, Gedee said:

one common factor (poster) responsible. Each of us can decide who that is... And for the sake of fairness & equality you can include me :excited:

Can we get Cobra to make a poll? 😀 

• Funny 1

52 minutes ago, HK Blues said:

Can we get Cobra to make a poll? 😀 

Hk ...  I think Cobra, prefers the tension & excitement of a close-fought contest ... not one that has a foregone conclusion :bye:

2 hours ago, andrak said:

Over to you Islay, I'll bring the wet paper bags to help us establish a baseline...

If you need a cornerman, give me a shout. :lol:

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

If you need a cornerman, give me a shout. 

I think you will find chomp, if I'm appointed referee, there wil be little to worry aboot ...

There is no gonna be any strain on meh brain to pick the winner. Eh've already decided :happyyes:

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, andrak said:

Hi andrak,

Apology accepted with good grace.

I prefer to deal with things my way and as they say ‘Every dog has its day’!

I am thinking Chomp...Just in case, the excitement is all too much for the Auld Man on the day :excited:

(Awe this, blood, guts & handbags fleeing back & forrit) We better hae Admin John on standby :bouncy:

Expecting full turn-out for this once in a lifetime Contest ... (Islay's Supporters will be there in force)

Assuming, Island's Ferries are Running on time. Or even at awe. They've no'  broke doon again? :tears:

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, islaydarkblue said:

‘Every dog has its day’!

"WOOF-WOOF-WOOF" ...

Islay eh hope you are no trying to intimidate the Referee here.

There's a, Big-Toothed, Hairy, Slavery, Snarly (Non Local) Beast ... Ripping Bits Oot Meh Front Door !! :jawdrop:

3 minutes ago, Gedee said:

"WOOF-WOOF-WOOF" ...

There's a, Big-Toothed, Hairy, Slavery, Snarly (Non Local) Beast ... Ripping Bits Oot Meh Front Door !! :jawdrop:

Hi Gedee,

I prefer to deal with things in my own way. 

I am sure that previously mentioned on this forum about the day I had a ‘stairheid barney’ (heated discussion) with a person delivering SNP propaganda prior to the 2014 independence referendum. 

The next time I spoke to this person he told me that he would never ‘darken my door’ or deliver any SNP election leaflets to my house and he has kept to his word. 

At the last general election the SNP sent out their despatch rider on his bicycle to deliver their election leaflets which along with all the other parties election leaflets went straight into my paper recycling bin. 

I know which political party I vote for and I just ignore all the lies that the political parties tell the voters. 

Islay, I aways got the impression you were a more relaxed,open-minded person, who quietly took things (life & people) in your stride. And welcomed, warmly & openly, the freshness of the alternative point of view. Even offering the hand of friendship, support & affection, to all persons far & wide ... Even those poor, misguided gun-toting persons in the America. 

Have I got this all wrong? Wha wid hae thought?

I know you are fonder of the smaller dog. But may I suggest, once you are back in the Big City, it might better to go for thon Huge, Aggressive Breeds , who are well trained to "Rip to Bits" those unwelcome visitors that "darken your door"  Whatever their reason for being there :bye:

In fact it might be better to get one that attacks everyone ... Just to be on the safe side :)

7 hours ago, HK Blues said:

I think VAR might also be required for this one ;)   

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Gedee said:

"WOOF-WOOF-WOOF" ...

When I read this post an image appeared in my head, you didn't command a 'pimped' Sherman tank for a guy called Kelly did you ????

Here's a picture of my big snarling slobbering dog that couldn't rip any bits out of any living thing. He once wagged his tail at a Tory delivering leaflets to my house. No Netflix for a month. Bet he won't do that again.

1096242736_Riley2.thumb.jpg.6e2c8bcf7f6cbef83557eb806b361b97.jpg

• Funny 2

42 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

When I read this post an image appeared in my head, you didn't command a 'pimped' Sherman tank for a guy called Kelly did you ????

Chomp, I am confused, so I'l have to pass you by on that one ...I'm needing a wee explanation or one o' yir pics :chin:

You must have seen Kelly's Heroes, Donald Sutherland played a guy called 'Oddball'...

eJx1a06.gif

Its a classic of the genre although I'm not exactly what genre it falls into, its not a 'straight' war film.

9 minutes ago, andrak said:

Here's a picture of my big snarling slobbering dog that couldn't rip any bits out of any living thing. He once wagged his tail at a Tory delivering leaflets to my house. No Netflix for a month. Bet he won't do that again.

1096242736_Riley2.thumb.jpg.6e2c8bcf7f6cbef83557eb806b361b97.jpg

I would suggest Andrak, ye tak that Bonnie Doag o' yours up wi ye. for the "Big Fight Night":chaplin:

He's got that look aboot him,  that makes ye think...Jings he looks cuddly, but can eh trust him?

Stick him in yir corner. Puir Islay'll no ken if he's in for a savaging or guid licking (lovey kind) :wub:

What kind of breed is it & what is your dog's name (We lost the last of our 4 dogs at Christmas)

Sad. Still no quite over it. But it has only to be a matter of time before we get another dog again.

IMG_20181224_083800-1.thumb.jpg.6b9e55bc5ad5dadf6d67d1ab13a579db.jpg

This pair of killers will have the face off you. Well one of them has done her cruciate and is in lockdown but the other one will happily pick up the slack.

14 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

You must have seen Kelly's Heroes, Donald Sutherland played a guy called 'Oddball'...

eJx1a06.gif

Its a classic of the genre although I'm not exactly what genre it falls into, its not a 'straight' war film.

Got you now  chomp ...

I think I might have been overdoing the posts on the forum today ... The auld brain is seizing up :wacko:

Ironically, that picture was a pretty good likeness of me 30 yrs. ago. Now a bit fatter & white beard.