The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Dundee v Celtic  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What are you expecting on Sunday?

2. 2. Who should be in the starting XI if available?

3. 3. How will Dundee's season end?

• Tenth place
    • Success in the play-offs
    • Failure in the play-offs
    • Bottom

1 hour ago, TheDarkBlues said:

Hey I will take another 5-1 win this weekend ;)

....but without what happened to us soon after it..!! 🤞

• Funny 1

We haven't scored in our last six games against Celtic. The last time we found the net against them was with this absolute beauty...

We actually did quite well against them at Dens just after promotion. McPake gave us a dream start in the first minute, Roberts played out of his skin for 45 minutes and late on Boyle blasted wide instead of squaring for the Tank to give us a deserved win.

I'm hoping post-Rodgers we might start giving a good account of ourselves again.

11 hours ago, Cobra said:

We actually did quite well against them at Dens just after promotion. McPake gave us a dream start in the first minute, Roberts played out of his skin for 45 minutes and late on Boyle blasted wide instead of squaring for the Tank to give us a deserved win.

I'm hoping post-Rodgers we might start giving a good account of ourselves again.

That game had me ridiculously optimistic for our future.

It wasn't exactly that we nearly won but we played Celtic and actually played some really nice football on a good pitch on a perfect summers day, just up in the league again (and this time for real - not with a whole debacle surrounding it). We went unbeaten the first 6 games that season and I genuinely thought that Hartley was going to do something really special here.

Phil Roberts must be a massive source of frustration for the manager. Compare him to Boyle at that time and you've got a player with so much more in every department apart from pace - his delivery was fantastic and always caused chaos (we scored - or come close - from almost every one of the few corners he took). Boyle has made a very good career for himself.

If anyone is interested, Roberts joined Dartford in the Conference South in January, leaving Hemel Hempstead, and has scored 8 in 13. He seems to score goals anywhere he goes at that level but for whatever reason, seems to change teams a lot. In promotion contention now so may be in the Conference next year. Seems to primarily be a striker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

That game had me ridiculously optimistic for our future.

It wasn't exactly that we nearly won but we played Celtic and actually played some really nice football on a good pitch on a perfect summers day, just up in the league again (and this time for real - not with a whole debacle surrounding it). We went unbeaten the first 6 games that season and I genuinely thought that Hartley was going to do something really special here.

Phil Roberts must be a massive source of frustration for the manager. Compare him to Boyle at that time and you've got a player with so much more in every department apart from pace - his delivery was fantastic and always caused chaos (we scored - or come close - from almost every one of the few corners he took). Boyle has made a very good career for himself.

If anyone is interested, Roberts joined Dartford in the Conference South in January, leaving Hemel Hempstead, and has scored 8 in 13. He seems to score goals anywhere he goes at that level but for whatever reason, seems to change teams a lot. In promotion contention now so may be in the Conference next year. Seems to primarily be a striker.

Very good summary Harry.

I look back with fond memories of our first season back up with Hartley. If you take away a couple of very bad results (United at New Year) I'm sure we all enjoyed that season and were very optimistic about the future.

I noticed Hartley was at Dens on Saturday.

As for Roberts, his attitude was dreadful and that 45 mins against Celtic was his finest moment in his Dundee career.

• Like 2

I seem to remember we all moaned about the first season up during quite a lot of it at the time due to the two thumping's from United and the collapse post split after finishing top 6 leaving it a very flat end to the season.

In hindsight, it was the best league season since promotion by a distance and very enjoyable compared to the last three seasons including this one.

The season after promotion was exciting too with Stewart, Hemmings, Harkins and the relegation of United even though our bottom 6 finish was a massive disappointment with the talent we had.

Cup wise, still to do anything of note in either competition in the 5 seasons since promotion. The only real proper cup away day excitement I can remember during the 5 seasons was going to Ibrox with a big away support for the SC QF and the atmosphere being flattened after a Holt slip and a Rangers opener 13 seconds in. One big cup away day in 5 seasons. Abysmal.

Knocking Aberdeen out the Scottish and United out the LC both in earlier rounds were obviously enjoyable too though.

Looking back, the first two seasons up were great league wise leaving us with plenty of memories. The last 3 seasons including this one have been absolutely awful bar the odd flash in the pan.

Cup wise, nothing close to resembling a proper cup run and only one big cup away day in half a decade as I said.

• Like 3

The first season up was very good until Kevin Thomson dropped out of the picture-we struggled after that and have never recovered in midfield since.

It is a pity both those seasons are soured by the hidings from Utd, who were a pretty good side up to the January and the post split collapse in 14/15 and then the inability to secure top 6 again, poor in the cups and naive management, playing 4 strikers at the same time semi-regularly for example, with the squad we had in 15/16. But looking back I really enjoyed those seasons, no threat of relegation, winning regularly, played some good stuff and the potential to do something special was there (particularly in 15/16). Also there was fight to go with talent in those sides, in 15/16 especially we got a lot of points from losing positions.

Maybe some of us were left a bit disappointed in how they ended at the time, I was probably guilty of it too as I thought we could have done better. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and looking back they were good seasons, by far two of the best we have had in long while and now I'd give my right arm for us to be in those positions right and then going into the future.

As for the Celtic game itself. I don't hold any hope at all, if its under 4 and results go our way I'll take it as a good weekend.

Edited by Pepe

Interesting but not unexpected progression of opinion on finishing in 10th place.

Before Hibs game: 83%

Before Hearts game: 54%

Before Celtic game: 51%

😧

Edited by Dondeh

McIntyre says Nelson is not close to returning so I suspect that's him out for the season.

I think we saw Miller given his first league start of the year because McIntyre knows we'll need to rely on KM for goals with Nelson crocked.

8 minutes ago, Cobra said:

McIntyre says Nelson is not close to returning so I suspect that's him out for the season.

Yep. Posted as much in the latest Nelson news thread. (can't put his boot on without pain)

Edited by Dondeh

2 minutes ago, Dondeh said:

Yep. Posted as much in the latest Nelson news thread. (can't put his boot on without pain)

The fact we're using injections tells you we're a bit desperate. Doesn't look good but if he's out for the season, we'll just need to get on with it. Miller, Wright and Curran still offer us decent options up front.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

The fact we're using injections tells you we're a bit desperate. Doesn't look good but if he's out for the season, we'll just need to get on with it. Miller, Wright and Curran still offer us decent options up front.

Yep. I posted a similar comment before the Hearts game that both Nelson and Curran are receiving injections.

Don't be surprised to see Curran not starting every game.

Edited by Dondeh

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

1 hour ago, Dondeh said:

That's some jump to conclude with two months of the season still to go that he must be out for the season because he's still injured this week, bearing in mind he's already had the injury for a month so that's a months worth of healing down the line.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

That's some jump to conclude with two months of the season still to go that he must be out for the season because he's still injured this week, bearing in mind he's already had the injury for a month so that's a months worth of healing down the line.

It's some jump to suspect the player will be missing for the last quarter? Not really. I said last week that the noises from the club sound like the comments made for months about Deacon. An ongoing problem with no end to the problem in sight. The injection failed and there has been no improvement so it's doubtful we'll be able to rely on him for the run-in.

1 hour ago, Cobra said:

I think we saw Miller given his first league start of the year because McIntyre knows we'll need to rely on KM for goals with Nelson crocked.

Hope you’re being overly pessimistic as you often are cobra🤔. Seems innocuous - bit of inflammation around heal should hopefully respond to steroid before end of season imo

A very talented player but I suspect he hasn't been fully fit since he came. He hasn't played a full game which I don't think has been just tactical. His 1st 4 games he played something like 25, 65, 65 and 15 minutes then didn't feature at all against Hamilton away. One thing's for sure, we certainly need him. Here's hoping he's back for St M.

1 hour ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

PARK THE GODDAM BUS! 

Got a feeling JM will not do this. Our defence/defending isn't the best (understatement). 

Edited by Dondeh

On 13/03/2019 at 18:53, DarkBlueKnight said:

Hope you’re being overly pessimistic as you often are cobra🤔. Seems innocuous - bit of inflammation around heal should hopefully respond to steroid before end of season imo

May sound a curious question ... But about 3-4 yrs ago, I hobbled along to Doctor's Surgery, with an excruciating pain in the sole of foot (heel)

The doctor I saw I never had before, but before I knew what was happening he told me to remove my socks. as he was gona give me injections.

He suggested he should do my two feet, ...even though it might be slightly painful..."slightly"? ... I had one of these fixed smiles on my face, but

internally, it took me awe my time, tae hud back the tears & no scream meh heid off. But noo tae the good news ... since then it's been painless.

The diagnosis was inflamation & it was steroid injections. So to the question. Has anyone else had these? Maybe eh got a student doctor :jawdrop:

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:25, Cobra said:

We haven't scored in our last six games against Celtic. The last time we found the net against them was with this absolute beauty...

As long as we don't concede, I'd take 0-0 right now, they need to have a mare and our defence needs to actually "defend", yeh I know.