The Dark Blues
Gedee

If We Can Survive This Season, Surely We Will Not Suffer This Again?

Rate this topic

Maybe at the outset, I should have added the qualification ... At least, no' in my lifetime.

But the thought of the Auld Man's clock ticking awa towards that time, jist depressed me even mair (I'm 77yrs in a few weeks)

This season I've found horrendous...If there is one plus, it could be, that my own personal "guid health" is better than eh thoct.

Surviving the DFC pain this season, like others, possibly (young & old) I've also had to contend with other age-related ailments.

I'm looking for sympathy ... (But NOT for) ... Dodgy ticker, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetis, periods of madness/depression,

General aches & pains in the muscles, joints, shortness of breath, (medically controlled) epilepsy ...I can easily handle that stuff :bouncy:

Sympathy I'm looking for, is the pain,agony, myself & many others have had to endure in following/supporting DFC, this season.

Although this topic is a "wee bit tongue & cheek" there is some serious to it as well. I hope if we get t through this season & find

ourselves next year again in the Premiership, I hope we've learned something & this time we are well prepared for what's ahead:chaplin:

Whether that means: New Players, New Manager, New Owners, New Stadium, only time will tell. But please nae mair testing stuff :wub:

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Gedee said:

Maybe at the outset, I should have added the qualification ... At least, no' in my lifetime.

Before we answer this, Gedee, can you let us know how long you plan to be around? 😉

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Before we answer this, Gedee, can you let us know how long you plan to be around? 😉

I'd guess, with all his organic veg & healthy living among the coos & sheep o' north Aberdeenshire, that G is targeting receiving his telegram from King Charlie or William, before he sees Dundee lift the Scottish Cup after about the 130th attempt?

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, HK Blues said:

Hi HK...Eh refuse tae answer that my freend, until eh know, whit kind o' response is eh can expect.

(Eg) "It must be near 50 years since Gedee wrote "thon post" And no only are we still waiting for DFC

to move to their New Stadium at Campie, they've still no bothered moving thon auld hose, or gies any

lavvie paper (which minds me)  Only thing that stays constant, is his weekly dose o' daft, shitty posts"

Mind on the plus side, it looks like DFC's gonna win the Premiership again for the 10th year running":chaplin:

(Or maybe) "Mind lang ago there wis thon daft auld man that wis infatuated wi his toms & longjohns?" :bye:

"Aye right enough. Ah weel puir man RIP" He's no deid !!

But they continue to keep him (& his LJ's) in the Secure

Unit, guarded & under lock & key, 24 hr surveillance. No

so much a danger to public Mair a general nuisance :wacko:

To be a bit more serious ...

I think DFC will just scrape through this season and hold on to their Premiership position.

Having learned their lesson, next season will be the start of their steady drive to Top Six :happyyes:

• Funny 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, WoodStein said:

I'd guess, with all his organic veg & healthy living among the coos & sheep o' north Aberdeenshire, that G is targeting receiving his telegram from King Charlie or William, before he sees Dundee lift the Scottish Cup after about the 130th attempt?

I like/need, a guid bit o positivity & optimism in life, but jings Woods, I think every DFC fan/supporter has found this season tough going.

However your post above has no' only given me reassurance I think it may have added a wee skip tom my step. I think I'll pass on "telegrams"

But maybe a change o' mind fae Margaret on the "Pocket Money Front" wid add that bit extra zoost tae meh life, roond aboot that time :bouncy:

48 minutes ago, Gedee said:

To be a bit more serious ...

I think DFC will just scrape through this season and hold on to their Premiership position.

Having learned their lesson, next season will be the start of their steady drive to Top Six :happyyes:

Have you been at the Sanatogen again?

• Funny 1

Next season will be better! Onwards together, the dees . Better days to come

• Star Post 1

If we stay in this league or we are in the championship next year, I will still support this club, through thick and thin.

But if we stay in this league, then we as a club need to start getting the easy things right from the start from top to bottom.

14 hours ago, Barryboy said:

Have you been at the Sanatogen again?

Barry my freend ... The damage wis done lang before that.

When eh was nae mair than a bairn, although nane o' meh parents ever drank alcohol, my grannie, who lived well into her 90's, swore by her Sanatogen, She aye had a bottlle in the hoose & no a day wid go by withoot her takin' her daily dose. It must have left a mark on me ... Because although eh didnae start drinking until I was in my early 20's ... I attacked the alcohol with a vengeance (That was the bad old days)     Noo thankfully, I've been "dry" for 20 yrs+.  (no alcohol & no pills)

The daftness, madness & crazy imagination, that sometimes creeps into some of my post, is a combination of...

Letting loose..."A wee bit insanity never did anyone any harm"...And no takin' myelf or others too seriously:chaplin:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DarkBlueKnight said:

Next season will be better! Onwards together, the dees . Better days to come

DBK ... Although there may be mair than a bit of madness that makes us awe support & be loyal to this club o' Oors...

It is that madness, love & belief, that helps us see it through every single season...And comments like yours above help :wub:

13 hours ago, TheDarkBlues said:

If we stay in this league or we are in the championship next year, I will still support this club, through thick and thin.

But if we stay in this league, then we as a club need to start getting the easy things right from the start from top to bottom.

John your comment above sums it all up for me .... I am no' questioning all the financial support the Americans have given since their arrival.

But for me there appears to be something missing. Well laid out/thought through plan for future of Dundee's place in Scottish Football maybe?

I'm no talking aboot a New Stadium (Although I'm no wanting another debate on this issue) I never believed New Stadium a priority at this time.

The full focus & priority (imo) should have been on performances & results, The opportunity presented it'self when  "the ither lot" went doon !! &

we found ourselves the City Premiership Club ... Maybe the excitement was too much for the BOD/FPS at the time, but although I am not saying,

there was a complacency about this "new place" we found ourselves in. But as DFC were so busy congratulating ourselves (& maybe the FPS also

giving themselves a big pat on the back) I feel opportunities to make new, real solid plans & build from this success were lost on them and others.

As I say, this season all over (imo) has been diabolical. But look at the situation at home games. We have DFC (John Nelms & others from above)

asking DFC fans & supporters to increase attendances at home games ... And yet look at the results & performances the loyal fans have endured.

How many home games have we won this season? Is it two? As you say Championship or Premiership, Loyal  DFC fans always give their best.

Imagine starting next season in the Premiership & chalking up say 3 victories in our first 3 home games ... Now there's something to focus on:excited:

If we don't address the "dodgy defence" were going to struggle no matter what league were in and when I think about it, probably the early "sixties" was the last time I felt really confident about our defence and this seasons defensive displays have been a nightmare, I don't go along with this "unlucky" or "the ref's decisions etc" our defence is crap and is the main reason were in this situation IMO.

Does not follow. 

The exact same thing has been said the previous 2 seasons.

And yet here we are again on the brink, with FPS having invested many hundreds of thousands of $'s trying to prevent it.

Edited by Dondeh

Bring in an experienced DOF or equivalent in May, then Invite managers to apply for the job (including JM) hold a “normal” interview process headed by the new DOF whilst Nelms is away on holiday. Appoint the best candidate who can work within our budget constraints, has a plan and style of play which is suited to the Scottish game and has a track record of developing young talent and good man management. Then and only then we have a chance of avoiding this senario again IMO

• Like 1

im 46 and this is just the norm for me....we have the occasional good season where we are comfortably away from relegation and finish mid table …..2 league cup finals.1 Scottish cup final.numerous relegations and numerous failed attempts to get out of the 1st division....I don't expect our fortunes to change any time soon.

10 hours ago, dblair said:

Bring in an experienced DOF or equivalent in May, then Invite managers to apply for the job (including JM) hold a “normal” interview process headed by the new DOF whilst Nelms is away on holiday. Appoint the best candidate who can work within our budget constraints, has a plan and style of play which is suited to the Scottish game and has a track record of developing young talent and good man management. Then and only then we have a chance of avoiding this senario again IMO

Morn' dblair ... Although I am no totally certain this this would address awe the problems & pain we have had to endure this season, I definitely would see it, as a big progressive step in the right direction. Would however much not depend on the appointment of getting the right, experienced person in the position of DOF?

& as there are many "rootin-tootin cowboys" goin' aboot, pretending to be Fitba Managers, how do we

know the appointed DOF is no "More at home on the range ... Where the deer & the antelopes play" ;)

Two other points...I have asked this question before: What specifically does a DOF do?

I'm not trying to put you on the spot freend. It's an open question for anyone to answer.

(JN will hae tae ken whit he does, as he no doubt will hae the job o' appointing him) :jawdrop:

12 hours ago, Dondeh said:

Does not follow. 

The exact same thing has been said the previous 2 seasons.

And yet here we are again on the brink, with FPS having invested many hundreds of thousands of $'s trying to prevent it.

It's not just 2 seasons, Dondeh,  it's been the case since I started watching the Dee in the early 70s. I guess we have to resign ourselves to the fact it's what we are now.  We need about 10 seasons of mid-table mediocrity to begin to think we are back as top-table regulars.  

8 hours ago, charliedee said:

im 46 and this is just the norm for me....we have the occasional good season where we are comfortably away from relegation and finish mid table …..2 league cup finals.1 Scottish cup final.numerous relegations and numerous failed attempts to get out of the 1st division....I don't expect our fortunes to change any time soon.

Hi Charlie (maybe for me it's a bit of an age thing) ... Eh dinnae expect to ever be hitting soon, the heights o' the season, when we really were Champions, with a quality side that flegged the best teams in Europe. But at the age I've reached now, I could weel do withoot too many torturous seasons, like the one we are presently enduring.

If the Guid Fitba Gods are still with us, & kindly help us fight for another season of Premiership Fitba (while the ither lot are still doon) this time there has to be real energy, enthusiasm, detailed planning & foresight, to build & establish DFC as a real force in football .... This up-doon -yo-yo existence wi disinterested falling attendances, should not be allowed to go on.

Okay, it may not last ....

But at this moment, we are still... Dundee's City Only Premiership Club.

We need to stay there. And build from that...C'mon the Mighty Dee:chaplin:

51 minutes ago, Gedee said:

Morn' dblair ... Although I am no totally certain this this would address awe the problems & pain we have had to endure this season, I definitely would see it, as a big progressive step in the right direction. Would however much not depend on the appointment of getting the right, experienced person in the position of DOF?

& as there are many "rootin-tootin cowboys" goin' aboot, pretending to be Fitba Managers, how do we

know the appointed DOF is no "More at home on the range ... Where the deer & the antelopes play" ;)

Two other points...I have asked this question before: What specifically does a DOF do?

I'm not trying to put you on the spot freend. It's an open question for anyone to answer.

(JN will hae tae ken whit he does, as he no doubt will hae the job o' appointing him) :jawdrop:

Good morning G! 

I agree there is no guarantee that bringing in a DOF and or new manager would magically fix our problems or help us become more than a bottom 3 team but I think the key for me is a re structure to address the lack of football knowledge outwith the managerial position. 

I was taken a back a bit when Nelms talked of his succession planning. Not that I think that’s it’s a bad thing but more the fact that I personally can’t see how he can be so sure he is targeting the right personnel given his lack of time within the Scottish game. I would love to know for example who Nelms “leans” on with his thought process towards our longer term vision for the footballing side. Does he have contacts within the game that we don’t know about? 

Ideally for me I’d like to see JN take care of the running of the club in a business capacity only with a qualified “football” man in place alongside to be completely in charge of recruitment of players/management/coaches and planning. For me reducing the playing budget by a player or 2 salary to get someone who would make better decisions in would make much More sense, and allow us to hopefully change from our revolving door annual squad changes to a much more settled and consistent club/team. I hate to say it but look at the fermers, thy have made very good footballing appointments for years now which allows the squad nucleus to become very stable and turnover of players kept to a minimum. It just seems we keep pressing reset every year and every time have to fork out huge sums of money. 

Just my take. 

• Star Post 1

7 minutes ago, dblair said:

Good morning G! 

I agree there is no guarantee that bringing in a DOF and or new manager would magically fix our problems or help us become more than a bottom 3 team but I think the key for me is a re structure to address the lack of football knowledge outwith the managerial position. 

I was taken a back a bit when Nelms talked of his succession planning. Not that I think that’s it’s a bad thing but more the fact that I personally can’t see how he can be so sure he is targeting the right personnel given his lack of time within the Scottish game. I would love to know for example who Nelms “leans” on with his thought process towards our longer term vision for the footballing side. Does he have contacts within the game that we don’t know about? 

Ideally for me I’d like to see JN take care of the running of the club in a business capacity only with a qualified “football” man in place alongside to be completely in charge of recruitment of players/management/coaches and planning. For me reducing the playing budget by a player or 2 salary to get someone who would make better decisions in would make much More sense, and allow us to hopefully change from our revolving door annual squad changes to a much more settled and consistent club/team. I hate to say it but look at the fermers, thy have made very good footballing appointments for years now which allows the squad nucleus to become very stable and turnover of players kept to a minimum. It just seems we keep pressing reset every year and every time have to fork out huge sums of money. 

Just my take. 

Thanks for responding so quickly freend .... Especially taking the time to go into a more detailed explanation ... (plenty there above for discussion)

Although, from my point of view, I think (at this time anyway) you've covered everything. I've always preferred the idea of a more "open" appointment

whereby more unexpected candidates come forward & there is a fuller assessment of each & every individual person. & chuffed to see you included.

JM in the mix. I like him & what I see as his doon to earth, common sense approach (There are a few doubts creeping in)...EXCELLENT POST dblair.

• Like 1