Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Statement On the Flag Incident

TheWhiteCafu

This statement just adds to my feelings that I’ve never felt further detached from my club, and the people in charge have never been further detached from the fans.

We have to put up with their IRA chanting for 90 minutes, their hooliganism and threats before and after the game (and sometime during), and Dundee FC APOLOGIES TO THEM for pulling a flag down. 

And we get treated like sh*te every time we go their from fans and stewards alike.

Pathetic. Who ever was involved in this, Nelms, Jim Thomson or anyone else should be utterly ashamed of themselves for pandering and bowing down to this. 

• Like 5
  • Star Post 2

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
35 minutes ago, Deetection said:

This statement just adds to my feelings that I’ve never felt further detached from my club, and the people in charge have never been further detached from the fans.

We have to put up with their IRA chanting for 90 minutes, their hooliganism and threats before and after the game (and sometime during), and Dundee FC APOLOGIES TO THEM for pulling a flag down. 

And we get treated like sh*te every time we go their from fans and stewards alike.

Pathetic. Who ever was involved in this, Nelms, Jim Thomson or anyone else should be utterly ashamed of themselves for pandering and bowing down to this. 

I've not been back since the 'team 12' season. It was the pat down and sniffer dog treatment from the Glasgow police that did it for me. Spoke to Celtic fan at work on the monday and they didn't get the same treatment. A fat middle aged (sober) guy with his missus is obviously up to no good and smuggling in all sorts.

Lengthy discussions about a f**cking flag being removed from advertising board and an official apology to be plastered over the sports pages of the Daily Record and Evening Times? Unbelievable.

Let's cover their advertising board at Parkhead with flags and see what happens.

• Star Post 3

Nelms clearly trying to keep good relations in case the proposed Boston game from about three seasons ago is ever allowed 😐

Seriously though. Can't get my head around this.

I personally have no issue with the Irish flag, certainly have no issue with the Irish and have some mates and family who are Celtic fans.

What I have a gigantic problem with is our club (who have put relations with our long suffering loyal support at an all time low with incident after incident in the last few seasons) bending over backwards to meet with and apologise publicly with a supporter who apparently refused requests to remove his flag from the advertisement board. Who then leapt from a dangerous height endangering anyone who could have walked under that exit as he leapt down and then caused a big scene despite breaking the rules on the flag and from leaping from the roofs of exits.

A supporter from a club who have caused absolute fkn havoc for stewards, police and some home fans in recent visits to our stadium.

Was then twisted from sections of their support as anti Irish despite the fact there were other Irish flags all over their end without problem and we had two Irish players in our team FFS.

Met with them and issued a public apology statement.

Not an eyelid blinked when Dundee fans are having banned explosives lobbed in their direction. 

You couldn't script this football club at times.

Edited by CW 90+3 02/05/16
  • Like 3
  • Star Post 2

1 hour ago, CW 90+3 02/05/16 said:

Nelms clearly trying to keep good relations in case the proposed Boston game from about three seasons ago is ever allowed 😐

Seriously though. Can't get my head around this.

I personally have no issue with the Irish flag, certainly have no issue with the Irish and have some mates and family who are Celtic fans.

What I have a gigantic problem with is our club (who have put relations with our long suffering loyal support at an all time low with incident after incident in the last few seasons) bending over backwards to meet with and apologise publicly with a supporter who apparently refused requests to remove his flag from the advertisement board. Who then leapt from a dangerous height endangering anyone who could have walked under that exit as he leapt down and then caused a big scene despite breaking the rules on the flag and from leaping from the roofs of exits.

A supporter from a club who have caused absolute fkn havoc for stewards, police and some home fans in recent visits to our stadium.

Was then twisted from sections of their support as anti Irish despite the fact there were other Irish flags all over their end without problem and we had two Irish players in our team FFS.

Met with them and issued a public apology statement.

Not an eyelid blinked when Dundee fans are having banned explosives lobbed in their direction. 

You couldn't script this football club at times.

Great post although I personally do have an issue with Scottish football fans taking Irish tricolours to Scottish football matches. 

If we're going to eradicate Irish politics and bigotry from our game we need to clamp down on these pretend religious folk. I wouldn't allow any Irish flags or Union Jacks into Dens.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cobra said:

Great post although I personally do have an issue with Scottish football fans taking Irish tricolours to Scottish football matches. 

If we're going to eradicate Irish politics and bigotry from our game we need to clamp down on these pretend religious folk. I wouldn't allow any Irish flags or Union Jacks into Dens.

You would need to put a ban on ALL national flags including Saltire's/Lion Rampant's to avoid claims of discrimination.

9 hours ago, GordonDee said:

As a counterpoint to the general feelings on here. The club has a major dilemma here, it does not want to be seen in any light as racist or anti anything for something that is widely accepted in the Scottish game. We should never  be seen as us trying to solve Celtic's problems, like WFT are they displaying an Irish flag at a Scottish Premiership game. Or why do they persistently sing unacceptable songs and act like they just crawled from under a rock? They had a process in place and the steward did not follow the process, so as much as it pains me, I think we (The club)  had to "apologize". 

They didn't need to say anything at all, but they could have written a couple of lines saying that any flag covering an advertising board would need to be moved for our sponsors.

They didn't even explain in their statement that it's got nothing to do with being an Irish flag, which a lot of their fans will just take as an admission and apology. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

You would need to put a ban on ALL national flags including Saltire's/Lion Rampant's to avoid claims of discrimination.

So be it. There is no need for national flags at domestic games.

You take a Saltire to Scotland games or European games to show pride in your nation. You shouldn't need to wave national flags at a game between two teams from the same country.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cobra said:

So be it. There is no need for national flags at domestic games.

You take a Saltire to Scotland games or European games to show pride in your nation. You shouldn't need to wave national flags at a game between two teams from the same country.

Its draconian and generally against my liberal nature but I agree with you.

After sleeping on this I'm wondering whether this statement just goes to highlight the corruption that is rife within Scottish football's corridors of power. Their long term desperation to appease all things emerald green and royal blue has subsidised morally the outdated beliefs of the old firm and helped create a monster. Dundee, or John Nelms, could've taken a stance and backed the steward involved and the reasons for the flags removal but would've likely dropped down the 'favourable decision' pecking order in the process. Crawling to both a**e cheeks and towing the line seems to be the best way to win friends and influence people within our game. It's probably a battle that our club couldn't really win.

Maybe JN, for once, has played an unpalatable blinder here.

• Like 1

Adblock Detected