The Dark Blues
TheDarkBlues

Match Aftermath: Dundee 2 - 0 Arbroath (05 Oct 2019)

Rate this topic

The Dark Blues win at home and earn the three points today.

Declan McDaid with two goals, in the 38th and 59th minute earn him man of the match.

Dundee 2 - 0 Arbroath

• Like 2

Did we need that win 

• Like 3

First half, we were playing the same old slow passing at the back and the fans were letting the players know that they weren't happy about.

Then we starting being a lot more direct in our play and moving the ball faster up the pitch, and what a difference that makes.

Two great goals from McDaid today.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheDarkBlues said:

First half, we were playing the same old slow passing at the back and the fans were letting the players know that they weren't happy about.

Then we starting being a lot more direct in our play and moving the ball faster up the pitch, and what a difference that makes.

Two great goals from McDaid today.

It's such a no brainer to be more direct and move the ball forward, faster...I don't understand why managers don't get teams playing like that all the time. Unless you are sitting on a big lead of course.

• Like 2

Great 3 points against the league’s surprise package. Well done Dundee. Well done to the management team. Questionable line-up worked

• Like 3

Well we have closed that gap to six points now.... not too shabby a weekend!

• Like 3

Great win against difficult opponents and we didn't need two last minute goals. Things are looking a we bit healthier. The pressure is mounting on the top two now. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it. Well done MacDaid and the rest of the team.

• Like 2

I was a wee bit worried in the first 30 minutes or so but the game changed from that point. Still think there's a bit missing and Mackie isn't the answer out wide but we got the win and were relatively comfortable, I like McDaid trying to make things happen and McGhee being able to play a bit of football out wide was a massive help.

This month will determine whether we're back in serious contention IMO.

• Like 3
  • Star Post 1

33 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Great 3 points against the league’s surprise package. Well done Dundee. Well done to the management team. Questionable line-up worked

As soon as I read on the "pre match forum" the endless, "over the top" cricisms of JNP's line-up, eh jist kent a win for DFC was on the cards today ;)

Some Days Oor James has just nae respect for us Forum Experts ... It's jist as weel he got lucky the day:chaplin:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

19 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I was a wee bit worried in the first 30 minutes or so but the game changed from that point. Still think there's a bit missing and Mackie isn't the answer out wide but we got the win and were relatively comfortable, I like McDaid trying to make things happen and McGhee being able to play a bit of football out wide was a massive help.

This month will determine whether we're back in serious contention IMO.

So Cammy on bench was a good move I take it. McDaid MoM? 

• Like 1

Mcghee was good at right back, defence looked much better with him there. Dorrans well ahead of this level of football. 

• Like 2

Dorrans dictated the game and his communication, wait of pass and way he offers himself to receive the ball helped others lift their game - in particular McGowan who played very well. 

• Like 4

Great result, massive 3 points...

Wasnt there, but going on a few reports it was a stuffy first half with a big improvement 2nd....

Arbroath won’t roll over for anyone, but we needed that today....

2weeks till next match, but we will go into it with far more confidence....

Well done to all concerned.

• Like 1

After 10 -15  minutes I couldn't stop yawning and was nipping myself to stop falling asleep.

Good win in the end.  Arbroath were well set up and knew their jobs and did them well albeit a wee bit OTT in the tackling department.

A bit slow to get the ball forward in the 1st half but after DMcD's first goal we settled down.  We played some nice stuff today and there were nice passages of play from us.

Two highlights that come to mind were DMcD's finish for the 2nd and Robertsons nutmeg on their lad around 5 minutes from the end.

I would have taken 2-0 for us before the game so was more than happy at the end.

Today was about patience to a great extent and I'm afraid a few roasters in the Bobby Cox just didn't have it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, blueboy said:

McDaid for his goals and performance  but I went for McGowan who involved in most of the good stuff we did. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Attilio said:

McDaid for his goals and performance  but I went for McGowan who involved in most of the good stuff we did. 

Like Gowser, a lot. 

• Like 1

Good result. Slow play doesn’t help. What a difference when that changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Attilio said:

After 10 -15  minutes I couldn't stop yawning and was nipping myself to stop falling asleep.

Good win in the end.  Arbroath were well set up and knew their jobs and did them well albeit a wee bit OTT in the tackling department.

A bit slow to get the ball forward in the 1st half but after DMcD's first goal we settled down.  We played some nice stuff today and there were nice passages of play from us.

Two highlights that come to mind were DMcD's finish for the 2nd and Robertsons nutmeg on their lad around 5 minutes from the end.

I would have taken 2-0 for us before the game so was more than happy at the end.

Today was about patience to a great extent and I'm afraid a few roasters in the Bobby Cox just didn't have it.

It's all over the place, people near me were booing at 2-0 because we weren't ripping them a new one.

Like i said pre match won comfortably despite (not because of)  the bizarre team selection; Arbroath, after a bright start looked the worse opponents I have seen so far and I can't see anyone finishing below them.

Selection weakened the central defence to play our best defender at RB in a game Cammy would have coped with easily. Playing x2 left backs added no attacking threat and the general tinkering with defence and midfield to me looked the gamble it appeared beforehand. Until McDaid took matters into his own hands we were really struggling to play through them; luckily, against really well organised but limited opposition we got away with it; I think against a better team the outcome would have been different.

Good weekend for us but I'll be happier when it looks more like JMP knows his best 11, knows how he wants them to play,and has them well drilled in respect of attacking strategy....it all still feels a bit ad hoc at present (IMHO, other opinions are available :) )

McDaid MOM, (if he ever takes notice of th boo boys and stops showing for the ball the way he does we're snookered), honourable mentions to Marshall, Dorrans, McGhee and Byrne.

• Star Post 3

26 minutes ago, blueboy said:

No surprise to see McDaid get it as his goals were excellent but i thought Dorrans was different class today. 

• Like 1