Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

How bad are we? 

Roof falls in after decent first half but only one fu##ng shot!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible second half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WeighorstsWang said:

It's time for Clarke to go. 

To Dens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barryboy said:

To Dens?

He said go, not square go! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, blueboy said:

We're minnows and no mistake. 

Exactly 10 years ago Scotland were ranked 30th in the world and Belgium were ranked 68th. Who knows where we'll be in 5 or 10 years. We're pretty sh*t just now but I'm sure we'll return to the 20s at some point.

It only took Denmark three years to go from 50th to top 10. If we get a good group of players together under the right manager I don't see why we can't go on a run and reach a major tournament. We're not the Faroes and destined to be sh*t forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barryboy said:

To Dens?

Jings Barry .... Are you trying to start anither 3-way fight ... Wi' McPake, Ross & Clarke? (Strachan will hud the jeckets) :explode:

McCann sends his apologies. He'd like to enter the fray. But he's fairt tae leave his hoose. In case his wife locks him oot:chaplin:

Mr J. Nelms says..."Its nothing tae dae wi' me ... And jist when eh thoct, things were starting to get better for me & DFC" :tears:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is Cobra I don't care what Scotland do. I hate it when we get carried away with the odd good result. All this tartan joke stuff too. Tartan Army, See You Jimmy hats... Make me cringe!  Not the fans but Tartan Army as an expression. 

Edited by blueboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, blueboy said:

Thing is Cobra I don't care what Scotland do. I hate it when we get carried away with the odd good result. All this tartan joke stuff too. Tartan Army, See You Jimmy hats... Make me cringe!  Not the fans but Tartan Army as an expression. 

I kind of feel the same blueboy. I remember working during World Cup 98 and going to meet pals for a bevvy, which was good. Also I'd like the chance to travel to a tournament but generally speaking I'm only really concerned about Dundee's games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cobra said:

Exactly 10 years ago Scotland were ranked 30th in the world and Belgium were ranked 68th. Who knows where we'll be in 5 or 10 years. We're pretty sh*t just now but I'm sure we'll return to the 20s at some point.

It only took Denmark three years to go from 50th to top 10. If we get a good group of players together under the right manager I don't see why we can't go on a run and reach a major tournament. We're not the Faroes and destined to be sh*t forever.

This is the nail on the head observation. What are we doing that is so wrong? Do we have a bunch of "blazers" who really should not be involved in running football in this country. Are the OF just so powerful that the rest of Scotland has to accept what they want. American football has a way of helping franchises to be competitive. As we have seen with crystal clarity, money is the real driver for team success in Scotland. More money- better players, better players- more winning results, more winning results- more fans more money and so it goes on. 

Having said that what have Belgium and Denmark done that we could not emulate. Maybe they spent money on better facilities and produced better players because the emphasis was on getting the right skills and the right blend of talent and application. Seems to me Scotland is always looking for a short quick fix and we just don't give anyone the time and encouragement to really make a difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watching the debacle of Argentina 1978 on TV just now.  Laughable but that squad was a million times better than now. Buchanan, Jardine, McQueen,  Gemmill, Souness, Macari, Jordan, Dalglish, Rioch etc. Forgot we had so many top players playing for the best teams in England. Now we're not even minnows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BCram said:

Having said that what have Belgium and Denmark done that we could not emulate. Maybe they spent money on better facilities and produced better players because the emphasis was on getting the right skills and the right blend of talent and application. Seems to me Scotland is always looking for a short quick fix and we just don't give anyone the time and encouragement to really make a difference.

Your comment regarding short term fixes is bang on imo.  The main problem though is obviously that the players are not good enough as it stands.  Talk about stating the obvious.  I don't think there is just one reason for this state of affairs.  As someone who was brought up on the Scotland squads of 1974 and 1978 this is painful to watch.

Most of Belgium's stellar squad play abroad these days but I'm willing to bet that most started out plying their trade in their home country.  I can only think of a couple of exceptions to this.  These players were given the chance to play in their own national league from a young age before they eventually moved on.  This weekend Scotland couldn't find a better back up centre forward than a lad who plays in the Scottish 2nd league or a better centre half than a 33 year old who is on loan from his parent club at the wrong end of the English 2nd division.  And we were expecting to get a positive result in Russia?

It's maybe the case that young players are not coming through but I'm not convinced that with the cut throat nature of our leagues the ones that do come through are being given a fair crack of the whip.  We are too quick to judge.

It isn't just the national team that are looking for short term fixes though.  There is a team in the Scottish 2nd league that can't find a Scottish striker good enough and within their budget and have 3 first choice English strikers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what we need is a creative, goalscoring talisman to lift the team like Bale, Eriksen or Sigurdsson. Our only world class player is a full-back and as a result we lack belief. We know it's going to be a slog every time and the players are demoralised before a ball is kicked. Just knowing you have a guy capable of beating two men and smashing the ball home from 35 yards makes every game seem winnable.

We're at the level of Czech Republic, Bosnia and Hungary but it wouldn't take an awful lot for us to be like Sweden, Poland and Wales. One player in the right position might do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cobra said:

I think what we need is a creative, goalscoring talisman to lift the team like Bale, Eriksen or Sigurdsson. Our only world class player is a full-back and as a result we lack belief. We know it's going to be a slog every time and the players are demoralised before a ball is kicked. Just knowing you have a guy capable of beating two men and smashing the ball home from 35 yards makes every game seem winnable.

We're at the level of Czech Republic, Bosnia and Hungary but it wouldn't take an awful lot for us to be like Sweden, Poland and Wales. One player in the right position might do it.

Cobra, I think you might be right about one player is the minimum that we need. The problem is that the big teams in Scotland won't invest in Scottish players and the national team is not seen as a stepping stone to greater glory elsewhere in the world. Good players leave for better money down south and just seem to stop working on their individual skills.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.