Jump to content
The Dark Blues

Rate this topic

Scotland  

72 members have voted

  1. 1. How much do you care about the Scotland national team?

    • More than Dundee
      0
    • Same as Dundee
      9
    • Not as much as Dundee
      32
    • Simply not interested
      31


Recommended Posts

Thought this might poll be ok on the Dundee board during international week as not a lot else happening.

Quite a lot of Dees say they don't care about Scotland. I just wondered how the poll results might look for it.

Have made it anonymous so folk can be honest without having to justify their choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not easy to add a million options, but I probably fall somewhere between Not As Much As Dundee and Simply Not Interested.

I mean I watched the highlights last night but was out with mates while the game was on and wasn't interested enough to need or want to know the score. I do wish we were better than we've been for years and years now, but I don't mull over it much and couldn't imagine, for example, spending time on a national team forum like I do on here.

In fairness, if we weren't quite so garbage maybe I would be more interested but it's only been about DFC for me.

Although thinking about, one of the major things for me is that I feel zero connection with the players representing the country now and for whatever reason that wasn't the case many years ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still attend reasonably regularly but it’s more in the hope that my son makes the connection I had at his age with the national team than for any other reason. The recent home game v Russia was utterly boring, a total waste of time and money and the drunken garbage that was being spouted by the guys in front of us just topped it off. 

I will attend the play off game if at hampden but if that’s another failure I think that’s me out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have put not as much as Dundee because I am slightly interested as I still check the scores and look for call ups etc. but overall I don’t really care anymore.

Go back say, 6-8 years I’d likely say the same as Dundee. Me and my dad went to all the home games and as many away as we could, it was great and I loved it. Since then a combination of the SFA being spineless, backward, money grabbing arseholes and useless managers, gutless players have turned me into someone that doesn’t care.

It is a pity personally, I love my country and want us to succeed at everything and anything not just sport. However, just now the Scottish National team sucks the life out of you.

On a positive side, it has shown me my support for Dundee is probably near unbreakable considering we have generally been a bigger basket case than Scotland and I still have the same passion for the Mighty Dee now as I did as a kid, despite the odd “I’m not buying a season ticket this season but ultimately cave like a paper bag”! So that’s something.... I think🤔.

Edited by Pepe
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit ashamed, an embarrased to say, I think I have totally lost interest in Scotland's performances these days ... Sad times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting to the stage where I couldn't care less and by results recently it would appear the players are well passed that stage. 

Not buying this whole players are not good enough garbage either. We should be performing far better than we currently are. Go wiki and look at the current squad and recent call ups and look at some of the clubs these boys play for. There are quite a few players playing at a very high level so don't tell me they are not decent players. Look at Northern Ireland for example. Players playing at a probably a slightly lower level than ours yet they are very competitive and have had some cracking results over the last 4/5 years. Just shows you what can be achieved with a bit or organisation and team spirit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Getting to the stage where I couldn't care less and by results recently it would appear the players are well passed that stage. 

Not buying this whole players are not good enough garbage either. We should be performing far better than we currently are. Go wiki and look at the current squad and recent call ups and look at some of the clubs these boys play for. There are quite a few players playing at a very high level so don't tell me they are not decent players. Look at Northern Ireland for example. Players playing at a probably a slightly lower level than ours yet they are very competitive and have had some cracking results over the last 4/5 years. Just shows you what can be achieved with a bit or organisation and team spirit

The only thing I'd slightly counter that with is that if you see the goals we've lost in recent games, they really have been down to individual error. You can organise and train all you want but when guys go to sleep then there's not much a manager can do. 

That said, we're so punchless it's frightening and that's down to shape and tactics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Dundee and Scotland is enough to send anyone over the edge so I stick to Dundee only.

I had a bit of interest when the likes of Wilkie or Rae (Dee connection) was playing and enjoyed watching McFadden but that was about it early to mid 2000's. Couldn't care at all now and It would not change unless we suddenly became decent.

I love Dundee and think about the club every single day. The national team though? meh 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barkblue said:

The only thing I'd slightly counter that with is that if you see the goals we've lost in recent games, they really have been down to individual error. You can organise and train all you want but when guys go to sleep then there's not much a manager can do. 

That said, we're so punchless it's frightening and that's down to shape and tactics.

Totally agree and the players need to have a good look at themselves but Scotland are honestly like dudbee under the McCann project 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dundeefc1783 said:

Totally agree and the players need to have a good look at themselves but Scotland are honestly like dudbee under the McCann project 

Maybe the question to Clark in his next interview is "Are you Neil McCann in disguise"  😱

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that the Glasgow twosome and English clubs are always sticking their noses into our international picks, (not nose picking😁) with dubious injury claims and outright requests to their players that they shouldn't play for Scotland. Until the Scotland manager gets the same respect from clubs as , say, England's manager, Scotland will continue to struggle. I mean, how can Shankland be an international?🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Valentke said:

I still attend reasonably regularly but it’s more in the hope that my son makes the connection I had at his age with the national team than for any other reason. The recent home game v Russia was utterly boring, a total waste of time and money and the drunken garbage that was being spouted by the guys in front of us just topped it off. 

I will attend the play off game if at hampden but if that’s another failure I think that’s me out.

Have never attended a Scotland football match. Just never really felt it was something that was important. Have been to Murrayfield for Scottish rugby internationals and always felt that the supporters were there to support the rugby team. Seems like even supporters of the Scottish football team have their share of moaners.

We need to get a can do attitude and I hope Clarke is given time to sort out our national team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting comment above from BarkBlue about nowadays having zero connection with the Scotland players. I can certainly relate to that. I switched on the telly part way through the game just in time to see a three-man passing movement. The commentator named each of the three Scottish players involved and I didn't recognise any of the names, let alone recognise the players. At first I thought I'd tuned into the wrong match and it took several more moments for me to realise that this was indeed Scotland I was watching. All three of the players involved in that passing sequence are with English clubs. It seems to me that the wider our selectors cast their net in their desperation to fill Scottish jerseys adequately, the more disconnected the fans are becoming from the team. Are we really sure that we couldn't field eleven players who ply their trade with Scottish clubs (like the Scottish League teams of yesteryear) and get the team to perform better than it does at present? At least all the fans would know who all the players were and be able to give them more of a backing, and equally the players would be accustomed to playing in front of Scottish fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Scotland team I watch is Rugby cannot remember the last time I watched a full game of Scottish International Football, when you have the national manager dropping down to the Scottish Championship for their striker then you know you are at the bottom end of the barrel regardless of how hot that striker is playing.

FFS, Dobbie will be hoping for a call up next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Huggs66 said:

The only Scotland team I watch is Rugby cannot remember the last time I watched a full game of Scottish International Football, when you have the national manager dropping down to the Scottish Championship for their striker then you know you are at the bottom end of the barrel regardless of how hot that striker is playing.

FFS, Dobbie will be hoping for a call up next.

Removing the fact that the striker he dropped down for is an arab, surely the indictment is that the standard of player in our own top flight is so poor that he even has to contemplate going down a division for players? 

There's no doubt that Clarke is barrel scrapping but the top Scottish scorer in the top flight is Ryan Christie (who played) and then Ross Stewart at Ross County with 4 goals. After that it's Steven Lawless at Livingston with 3, then James Forrest and Sparky at Celtic with 2 goals (the latter from 44 minutes of football).

How many of the lads on this list are Scottish? And then how many are strikers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership/top-scorers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BCram said:

Have never attended a Scotland football match. Just never really felt it was something that was important. Have been to Murrayfield for Scottish rugby internationals and always felt that the supporters were there to support the rugby team. Seems like even supporters of the Scottish football team have their share of moaners.

We need to get a can do attitude and I hope Clarke is given time to sort out our national team.

The qualifiers throughout the 80s and 90s were tremendous to attend. Glasgow was always buzzing hours before kick off and the atmosphere was deafening at the games. I attended a Scotland v wales rugby match in the same month that we beat Sweden 1-0 at Ibrox (McCall scored I think) the rugby was absolutely no match for the football in terms of atmosphere despite the Wales game being claimed to be the most atmospheric in the 6 or was it 5 Nations then.....? There was no competition imo.

 It was still second best to watching DFC back then but it was a good “second”!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valentke said:

The qualifiers throughout the 80s and 90s were tremendous to attend. Glasgow was always buzzing hours before kick off and the atmosphere was deafening at the games. I attended a Scotland v wales rugby match in the same month that we beat Sweden 1-0 at Ibrox (McCall scored I think) the rugby was absolutely no match for the football in terms of atmosphere despite the Wales game being claimed to be the most atmospheric in the 6 or was it 5 Nations then.....? There was no competition imo.

 It was still second best to watching DFC back then but it was a good “second”!

I get what you are saying and agree. Rugby spectators are rarely, in my experience, involved with abuse of officials or opponents. They support their team and that's what they do. The football supporter is much more vocal about every little incident and almost uniquely, they can be vociferous in their criticism of their own players. The excitement comes from the much more aggressive attitude of football supporters. 

Influencing the ref decisions, appealing for every throw in, trying to win fouls to gain an advantage, the ethos of football always seems to me to be trying to cheat. I know that's not a good way of expressing it but it just seems that the referee is helped to make all the decisions in a football match. So far rugby has pretty much avoided this but I fear that the third match official is getting involved much more than was originally intended and rugby may be moving towards the football professional foul and clype style of refereeing.

I think it's something to do with fair play and rugby supporters are spectators and football supporters are participants.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BCram said:

I get what you are saying and agree. Rugby spectators are rarely, in my experience, involved with abuse of officials or opponents. They support their team and that's what they do. The football supporter is much more vocal about every little incident and almost uniquely, they can be vociferous in their criticism of their own players. The excitement comes from the much more aggressive attitude of football supporters. 

Influencing the ref decisions, appealing for every throw in, trying to win fouls to gain an advantage, the ethos of football always seems to me to be trying to cheat. I know that's not a good way of expressing it but it just seems that the referee is helped to make all the decisions in a football match. So far rugby has pretty much avoided this but I fear that the third match official is getting involved much more than was originally intended and rugby may be moving towards the football professional foul and clype style of refereeing.

I think it's something to do with fair play and rugby supporters are spectators and football supporters are participants.

I think you've overlooked the Scotland v Australia (?) world cup semi 4 years ago....corruption exemplified. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BCram said:

I get what you are saying and agree. Rugby spectators are rarely, in my experience, involved with abuse of officials or opponents. They support their team and that's what they do. The football supporter is much more vocal about every little incident and almost uniquely, they can be vociferous in their criticism of their own players. The excitement comes from the much more aggressive attitude of football supporters. 

Influencing the ref decisions, appealing for every throw in, trying to win fouls to gain an advantage, the ethos of football always seems to me to be trying to cheat. I know that's not a good way of expressing it but it just seems that the referee is helped to make all the decisions in a football match. So far rugby has pretty much avoided this but I fear that the third match official is getting involved much more than was originally intended and rugby may be moving towards the football professional foul and clype style of refereeing.

I think it's something to do with fair play and rugby supporters are spectators and football supporters are participants.

And rugby fans who attend Internationals rarely attend club games if you see the crowds. i live around 2 miles from four Edinburgh clubs and have never been to a game and I know they are delighted if 500 turn up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.