Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

S P F L .... Is it no time yet, to sort out the Scottish Leagues & Divisions?

Gedee

Firstly, adding this topic to Dundee Section & not the General Topics , may give the impression, that I am only concerned with what is good for DFC ....And no particularly bothered about other clubs. (And in truth, that may well be the case)

This topic has been raised many times before, but nevertheless, I feel, with the general mess Scottish Fitba is in again (even allowing for the pandemic & all that has involved), it might well be due another "airing" ... Even if nothing comes from it, as the SFA/SPFL/THE UGLY SISTERS/Or whoever is in charge (?) continue to look after theiir own (& afore-mentioned interests) ... And there are many other members on here who are far more qualified than me, to talk about this.

I don't have answers, but I remember one call, was to go back to the times along the lines when there was a decent size 1st, 2nd, 3r,d Division.

But, I feel as this season is drawing to a close & the thoughts/plans for a new (full) season ahead, there should be new plans/ideas in place. This current season has endured some real "upsets" in the way of results for the so-called top teams. And it may now be time to look seriously, on what is on offer, if Scottish Football is to have any chance of survival in the years ahead. Without  going into details, we have seen Clubs/Team Players from what some might see as the"very lowest levels" giving the "Big Boys" a real serious run for their money. And each of these clubs/teams, that came away with a "shock" win or/& performance deserve all the cheer & respect given to them

Looking at bottom half of the Premiership, & comparing it with the Clubs/Teams in the Championship, there seems little between the two

(No too happy aboot mentioning Arabs) But at least at this time, they are more than holding their own, since promotion to Premiership :(

Should things be allowed to roll along as always? Or is there scope, for offering something better for now, & the future? We Love DFC:chaplin:

Any ideas however daft, would be appreciated (Weel that seems to work fine at the moment, for all the Governing Bodies in Football) :wacko:

Adblock Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
19 minutes ago, gedee said:

Should things be allowed to roll along as always? Or is there scope, for offering something better for now, & the future? We Love DFC:chaplin:

Any ideas however daft, would be appreciated (Weel that seems to work fine at the moment, for all the Governing Bodies in Football) :wacko:

I believe nothing will change unless it's financially advantageous to the Old Firm.

Celtic/Rangers have a stranglehold over Scottish football and wouldn't welcome any challenge that would threaten their access to Champions League riches.

Reform won't happen unless the other forty clubs threaten mass resignation from the SPFL and create a new structure without the OF.

Won't happen. Too many clubs won't risk sacrificing the ticket revenues from OF visits. Broadcast income would also be a consideration in any debate for change.

Self-interest plagues Scottish football and I doubt that will change any time soon.

Unless supporters mobilise collectively and apply pressure to their respective clubs in an attempt to force change I doubt there is much that can be done. Was an effective tool in the  demotion of Rangers to the fourth tier in 2012, albeit the OF voting pact was temporarily disabled at that stage. Now that their joint voting power has been restored I guess they only ever need to stand firm to have their way.

14 minutes ago, Barfly said:

I believe nothing will change unless it's financially advantageous to the Old Firm.

Celtic/Rangers have a stranglehold over Scottish football and wouldn't welcome any challenge that would threaten their access to Champions League riches.

Reform won't happen unless the other forty clubs threaten mass resignation from the SPFL and create a new structure without the OF.

Won't happen. Too many clubs won't risk sacrificing the ticket revenues from OF visits. Broadcast income would also be a consideration in any debate for change.

Self-interest plagues Scottish football and I doubt that will change any time soon.

Unless supporters mobilise collectively and apply pressure to their respective clubs in an attempt to force change I doubt there is much that can be done. Was an effective tool in the  demotion of Rangers to the fourth tier in 2012, albeit the OF voting pact was temporarily disabled at that stage. Now that their joint voting power has been restored I guess they only ever need to stand firm to have their way.

Thanks for your contribution Barfly ...

Hope some other posters feel inclined to respond & maybe we'll get a wee discussion going (Even though, as you suggest) it looks like basically the status quo will remain, because of the reasons given by yourself. ... And while the Rangers & Celtic (& the present body/leaders) keep patting themselves on the back, we (with some other clubs) can scutter aroond, looking for any crumbs that have falling off the Main Table... And Scottish Fitba Clubs descend into an even darker place.

Surely we are reaching a stage, which will we reflected by the rapidly falling attendances, that fitba fans will say, unless things are gonna change we/they, have simply, just had enough !!

And with that "Cheery Comment" I'll draw this particular post to a conclusion:chaplin:

It really is all about self interest, our vote allows the shower of sh**e from across the road to be promoted and they immediately vote for no league reconstruction because they’d lose a few quid with more teams in the top league. Personally I’d have a top league of 16 or 18 and then regionalise the leagues below.

9 minutes ago, dfc64 said:

It really is all about self interest, our vote allows the shower of sh**e from across the road to be promoted and they immediately vote for no league reconstruction because they’d lose a few quid with more teams in the top league. Personally I’d have a top league of 16 or 18 and then regionalise the leagues below.

Personally (withoot hearing all the arguments for & against) I'd be inclined to agree dfc64 ...I'd also prefer a Premiership Division of 16-18.

I accept as well it is unlikely this will ever happen, & even if it did, things are unlikely to change very much at the top, where we can still take for granted, that Rangers & Celtic will always be in a position to fight it out between them for the top place. But even so, I would welcome the competition throughout the season between the other 14/16 clubs ....

In fact I'd be even happier to see a "Very Special & Exclusive, Super, Dooper, Premiership Division" which consisted of the two cheeks of the same arse from the west coast ... And they can happily spend the whole season, playing each other every week, leading up to the end of season winning, of the, Very Special Trophy which can be won & kept by any of them

....Until the start of the next season, where it can all start again for them the following season :lol2:

There is an interesting article in the Sun today by the Stenhousemuir chairman in relation to league reconstruction. We surely cannot go on with the nonsense of playing one another 4 times a season. It is killing the game and Doncaster and the SPFL board seem to be blind to the damage it is doing.

The only way to force change is if the fans unite. I cannot see it coming through the clubs because self interest reigns. If it is going to be done at all it should happen as soon as possible. We have seen the damage these tight leagues are doing through this stint in the championship. All teams are interested in is closing down space and pinching a goal if they can. They have no interest whatsoever in attacking.

We need to have bigger divisions and going to a top division of 20 with a second division of 22 would not be a bad idea with two being relegated and a play-off for the third place. You could have play-offs for the bottom two places in the other division. If you have the 3 city derbies in the top division it generates interest and excitement, not only amongst the fans but also the TV companies. These small leagues were put together to generate more competition, but as Jock Stein said, "You can put two average fighters into a ring and you will have competition, but that does not mean you will see a good fight."

The voting structure will stop any changes and that structure is still in place because Aberdeen did not have the guts to change it when the chance was there a few years ago. Like others I am totally hacked off with the four games a season against the other teams sometimes rising to 6 or even 7 if cup draws allow. It is nonsense and I reckon a poll of 'real fans' ie outwith the bigot brothers would bring out a large majority for change. Unfortunately it ain't happening!

4 hours ago, gedee said:

Firstly, adding this topic to Dundee Section & not the General Topics , may give the impression, that I am only concerned with what is good for DFC ....And no particularly bothered about other clubs. (And in truth, that may well be the case)

This topic has been raised many times before, but nevertheless, I feel, with the general mess Scottish Fitba is in again (even allowing for the pandemic & all that has involved), it might well be due another "airing" ... Even if nothing comes from it, as the SFA/SPFL/THE UGLY SISTERS/Or whoever is in charge (?) continue to look after theiir own (& afore-mentioned interests) ... And there are many other members on here who are far more qualified than me, to talk about this.

I don't have answers, but I remember one call, was to go back to the times along the lines when there was a decent size 1st, 2nd, 3r,d Division.

But, I feel as this season is drawing to a close & the thoughts/plans for a new (full) season ahead, there should be new plans/ideas in place. This current season has endured some real "upsets" in the way of results for the so-called top teams. And it may now be time to look seriously, on what is on offer, if Scottish Football is to have any chance of survival in the years ahead. Without  going into details, we have seen Clubs/Team Players from what some might see as the"very lowest levels" giving the "Big Boys" a real serious run for their money. And each of these clubs/teams, that came away with a "shock" win or/& performance deserve all the cheer & respect given to them

Looking at bottom half of the Premiership, & comparing it with the Clubs/Teams in the Championship, there seems little between the two

(No too happy aboot mentioning Arabs) But at least at this time, they are more than holding their own, since promotion to Premiership :(

Should have happened years ago, but to the greed of the old firm, and also due to the fact that the SPFL are run by a bunch of useless arrogant wankers.

1 hour ago, Iain T Campbell said:

There is an interesting article in the Sun today by the Stenhousemuir chairman in relation to league reconstruction. We surely cannot go on with the nonsense of playing one another 4 times a season. It is killing the game and Doncaster and the SPFL board seem to be blind to the damage it is doing.

The only way to force change is if the fans unite. I cannot see it coming through the clubs because self interest reigns. If it is going to be done at all it should happen as soon as possible. We have seen the damage these tight leagues are doing through this stint in the championship. All teams are interested in is closing down space and pinching a goal if they can. They have no interest whatsoever in attacking.

We need to have bigger divisions and going to a top division of 20 with a second division of 22 would not be a bad idea with two being relegated and a play-off for the third place. You could have play-offs for the bottom two places in the other division. If you have the 3 city derbies in the top division it generates interest and excitement, not only amongst the fans but also the TV companies. These small leagues were put together to generate more competition, but as Jock Stein said, "You can put two average fighters into a ring and you will have competition, but that does not mean you will see a good fight."

Didn't read comments from the Stenhousemuir ChairmanTC, before deciding to start this Topic.

But it looks like there must be big concern for most Clubs & Fans, that should be dealt with now.

I used to think that a bigger league would be better but when I stand back and don’t think about it just from a Dundee point of view, I’ve come to think that the current set up is the best it’s ever been since the Premier started, virtually every team has something to play for right to the end of the season and it definitely keeps the interest up throughout the season.

Before the play offs it was rubbish but since they came in it’s been pretty good in my opinion.

Once a team is in the top league, I don’t see their chairman voting for change

Edited by Dee_Dee

Adblock Detected