The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Dee_Dee

Gary Irvine

Rate this topic

Must be sitting on bench thinking when is he ever going to get on.

Holt skinned for goal second week in a row, maybe give him a rest against Dunfermline and give Irvine a run out?

Thoughts?

Think Holt's been one of our most impressive performers so far and I like Irvine but no way should he be replacing Holt.

Holt looks a little week defensively but great as an attacking wing back. He had a bit of a mare last week against O'Halloran and I expect Logan/McGinn combo is the hardest to deal with in the league. His defensive side will come as he adapts to the top flight but he's been one of our better players for me. Wouldn't drop him.

I think that Gary Irvine hasn't been the best at one on one with speedy wingers either.  I think Holt needs defensive support in that situation from someone inside him.  I wasn't at Aberdeen but against the wee haters, the problem was obvious for a lengthy period before it was changed.

Think Holt's been one of our most impressive performers so far and I like Irvine but no way should he be replacing Holt.

Holt looks a little week defensively but great as an attacking wing back. He had a bit of a mare last week against O'Halloran and I expect Logan/McGinn combo is the hardest to deal with in the league. His defensive side will come as he adapts to the top flight but he's been one of our better players for me. Wouldn't drop him.

Yep, that about sums it for me.

Attilio, on 22 Aug 2015 - 9:40 PM, said:

Yep, that about sums it for me.

Glad to see we can agree despite our disagreement this morning! :P  Apologies if I came across a bit snide, wasn't my intention!

Glad to see we can agree despite our disagreement this morning! :P  Apologies if I came across a bit snide, wasn't my intention!

No problems bud.  Water under the bridge.  Part of the problem when communicating in text I think is that it often comes across just like you didn't mean it. :unsure:

Holt was certainly skinned for the goal but I don't think Irvine would have done any better. I like the look of Holt and think he'll improve with a good run in the team. Like was said above, it won't get much tougher than O Halloran and the Aberdeen wingers in this league.

Just watched their goal. Holt is beaten some really good play on the wing. McPake can't quite reach the cross and Konrad is unable to get his feet off the ground to challenge Rooney.

I would have liked to see Irvine involved after the way he unsettled Aberdeen with his surging runs and brilliant goal at Pittodrie last time but we couldn't really justify dropping Holt.

holty's superb, is he not allowed to make a mistake? he will only get better and better lmo

Why? Irvine is reliable but he certainly is not better.

Can't believe anyone can possibly think Gary irvine can do better than Holt.Jesus wept.maybe if we had a natural left midfielder in front of him he wouldn't be left two on one so often.

Holt is clearly an upgrade on Irvine at left back but it was Irvine who ended Aberdeen's 12 hours without conceding in January at Pittodrie. They couldn't handle a right-footed left-back cutting in from the flank and charging into their box.

Holt is clearly an upgrade on Irvine at left back but it was Irvine who ended Aberdeen's 12 hours without conceding in January at Pittodrie. They couldn't handle a right-footed left-back cutting in from the flank and charging into their box.

No he just ran and smashed it in. 

Wasnt anything to do with him playing left back. 

He actually cost us a goal that game. 

No he just ran and smashed it in. 

Wasnt anything to do with him playing left back. 

He actually cost us a goal that game. 

Yeah he ran and smashed it in, and Aberdeen's defence wasn't expecting a left-back to come charging into their box like that.

He didn't cost us a goal that game. He struggled to control an awkward pass in the middle of the park and we lost possession. These things happen. McGinn's failure to mark Goodwillie left them with an open goal.

No problems bud.  Water under the bridge.  Part of the problem when communicating in text I think is that it often comes across just like you didn't mean it. :unsure:

tumblr_lnqpof0huM1qghwrc.gif

Yeah he ran and smashed it in, and Aberdeen's defence wasn't expecting a left-back to come charging into their box like that.

He didn't cost us a goal that game. He struggled to control an awkward pass in the middle of the park and we lost possession. These things happen. McGinn's failure to mark Goodwillie left them with an open goal.

Anyone could have came running into the box and scored. 

Irvine was at fault. 

Im not knocking Irvine, i really like him as a player and a professional. But he is not good enough to replace Holt at left back.  

Anyone could have came running into the box and scored. 

Irvine was at fault. 

Im not knocking Irvine, i really like him as a player and a professional. But he is not good enough to replace Holt at left back.  

Aberdeen hadn't conceded for 12 hours because they were superb at stopping the opposition from creating chances. They were containing our attacks quite comfortably until Irvine burst into the middle of their box. I doubt they had prepared for that kind of threat. If you see it differently then fair enough.

As for the Goodwillie goal that day, it was a collective failure.

Holt has been a fantastic signing so is our undisputed left-back. I just thought it would have been interesting to have seen Irvine at Pittodrie. History has a habit of repeating itself.

Edited by Cobra

Aberdeen hadn't conceded for 12 hours because they were superb at stopping the opposition from creating chances. They were containing our attacks quite comfortably until Irvine burst into the middle of their box. I doubt they had prepared for that kind of threat. If you see it differently then fair enough.

As for the Goodwillie goal that day, it was a collective failure.

Holt has been a fantastic signing so is our undisputed left-back. I just thought it would have been interesting to have seen Irvine at Pittodrie. History has a habit of repeating itself.

That kind of threat...

Irvine is not, and was not a threat. He just stormed in the box and struck the ball.

He could do that as a right back, midfielder, or striker.

M point is, it was not the fact Irvine was playing as a great left back that he scored against Aberdeen.

Also, he was partly at fault for the goal.