The Dark Blues
Sign in to follow this  
Cobra

Champions League Windfall

Rate this topic

I was wondering if Dundee would be due any money if Celtic reach the group stage of the Champions League on Tuesday night so I had a look at the Uefa website and I think we will be due £180k, a tidy sum that will hopefully give Hartley a bigger budget to sign a player or two.

I believe we got £135k in 2012/13 and with Uefa increasing the payouts by 35% that should, I think, mean all Premiership clubs get £180k (in the event that Celtic beat Malmo).

This is the relevant section from Uefa about solidarity payments in case anyone is interested. 

"A total of €112m will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues for their clubs, compared to €82.4m in the 2012-15 cycle, thus representing an increase of more than 35%. 80% of this amount will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues with at least one club participating in the UEFA Champions League group stage and 20% to national associations and/or leagues without participating clubs. Only clubs not participating in the group stage of either competition will be entitled to a share of these solidarity payments."

I was wondering if Dundee would be due any money if Celtic reach the group stage of the Champions League on Tuesday night so I had a look at the Uefa website and I think we will be due £180k, a tidy sum that will hopefully give Hartley a bigger budget to sign a player or two.

I believe we got £135k in 2012/13 and with Uefa increasing the payouts by 35% that should, I think, mean all Premiership clubs get £180k (in the event that Celtic beat Malmo).

This is the relevant section from Uefa about solidarity payments in case anyone is interested. 

"A total of €112m will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues for their clubs, compared to €82.4m in the 2012-15 cycle, thus representing an increase of more than 35%. 80% of this amount will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues with at least one club participating in the UEFA Champions League group stage and 20% to national associations and/or leagues without participating clubs. Only clubs not participating in the group stage of either competition will be entitled to a share of these solidarity payments."

I was at a Q & A in September 2012 where Scot Gardiner announced that all SPL clubs including Dundee would receive £124K (from memory) as a result of Celtic's qualification to the group stages of the Champions League. I seem to remember him saying that we would not receive the money until the end of the 2012-13 season.

Actually, thinking about it, the fact that the SPL merged with the lower leagues to create the SPFL might now mean that all clubs get a cut this time rather than just the top tier clubs sharing the payment.

It was on radio Scotland last night, every club would get around £145k.

Every premiership club or every club?

Every premiership club or every club?

Has to be every Premeirship club, sure the lower leagues deal was for a share of the TV money

Hope they get pumped.

Can't stand them apart from when they play the DABs.

So you'd rather our club and the othervscottish clubs miss out on much needed cash.

So you'd rather our club and the othervscottish clubs miss out on much needed cash.

If they win the get 10x what we get so the divide gets bigger.

Was half fishing :) , but,

If they get through and we get an un-budgeted for windfall, great.

If they get put out and we get nothing, I won't lose any sleep.

• Like 2

I hope they get beat yes. I think you need to look at the wider implications for Scottish football of them getting through.

I hope they get beat yes. I think you need to look at the wider implications for Scottish football of them getting through.

You mean improving the coefficient and making it easier for other Scottish clubs to quality for Europe?

If Celtic failed as often as people want them to, we'd end up with just one European spot in the earliest qualifying rounds. Which would go to Celtic.

You mean improving the coefficient and making it easier for other Scottish clubs to quality for Europe?

If Celtic failed as often as people want them to, we'd end up with just one European spot in the earliest qualifying rounds. Which would go to Celtic.

No country in Europe has only one European spot. Even the Azerbaijan Premier League, which only has 10 teams, has 3 European spots.

Edited by Mr Gandosaur

No country in Europe has only one European spot.

OK, two European spots. One of which will always be Celtic, the other for whoever wins the Cup or finishes 2nd.

The point is that wanting Celtic to fail severely harms other teams with European ambitions. 

OK, two European spots. One of which will always be Celtic, the other for whoever wins the Cup or finishes 2nd.

The point is that wanting Celtic to fail severely harms other teams with European ambitions. 

Every country has a minimum of 3.

You think getting more teams in Europe to be pumped at the first attempt will improve Scottish football? 

145k could pay for a winger and a target man, MON THE HOOPS!

Scot Gardiner previously stated that the money was not paid out until the end of this season.